• AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP

My Experience with Scan

hello,

Back in July I placed an order for a system with Scan, I thought I'd write about my experience with them, like a lot of others have.

Scan were very helpful in getting together a quote for a new system, and ordering was equally smooth.

I did have a problem however, I was due to go away in just over two weeks (14th July) and asked whether I should just wait or if it would be completed before then. The sales rep promised to reserve a build date of 3rd of July, ensuring it would be here before 12th July. It actually got pushed back to 5th July, no idea why. Anyway, I was told it still would arrive before 12th July.

During the build, I was kept well informed of what was going on, and I liked the way Scan included a 'track progress' page for 3XS systems, detailing what the system build was up to.

However, half way through, I got an email saying that there had been a problem with a clearance issue between the Sata Ports on the MB, and the graphics card. This was during testing, so how on Earth they didn't see it during the build days earlier was beyond me. Anyway, they sent a message saying they'd swapped the MB for the next most expensive one, and were rebuilding the whole system.

A quick call to Scan, and I was assured I would be getting the System by Thursday 12th anyway. A day late, but at least I'd still get it on time.

When the system was dispatched, things were looking well, yet when the packages arrived the next day, the driver from City link told me only 3/4 packages are being delivered. I called Scan, they told me not to panic, and that it would be on a different van, coming ASAP that day.

Obviously, it didn't, and after many calls to Scan, to City link depots, and to the HQ, I got many answers including by 5pm, by 6pm, and by 8pm. Of course, none of these were true, and they package only arrived the next day (~ 1pm Friday).

Apart from the system, the night of the dispatch I called saying I'd forgotten to buy the surge protector for the system. Of course, it was too late to dispatch with the system and so the sales rep took an order, and charged me £6 for a delivery to be made ASAP alongside the system (the Thursday). This didn't turn up either, and when I called they told me there was a problem with the stock, or something similar I can't remember. Anyway, they told me they'd send the next model up instead, but would be unable to refund the £6 I paid for the special delivery.

Anyway, of course, on Friday I got the two packs (system and power adaptor), and I got everything set up. I had some problems with the surround sound, so I called tech support who were extremely helpful and friendly, and were willing to stay on the phone for long periods of time. However, they couldn't sort it out, so we gave up. Two months later I tried updating the drivers, and it works.

I also had problems with the networking stick they sent me, so they swapped that for free for a slightly more expensive one. And they also picked up a mouse mat, a fan which they didn't fit into the system for some reason, and a floppy cable they didn't use too (don't ask me why, I don't know).

Of course, there was also the whole memory at 800mhz fiasco, which got sorted out by ben arranging for a pick up to take place, tests, settings made, and a return to me. What I don't understand is, the sales rep (Paulm) apologised for not setting the mem at full speed saying it was a mistake, whilst Ben told me the team would never do it in the first place. I was confused, but at least it got sorted out in the end. Please do remember however I do have a special on site warranty paid for with the system!

Overall, I have to say I was very dissappointed in a lot of areas by Scan, but they did seem to prove commitment to after sales service, which is always crucial in my opinion, so well done on that one Scan.

If anyone is wondering why it took so long for a review to pop up, I was away for two months after the system was delivered.
    Industrial espionage is simply the sincerest form of flattery......

Thanks

Re: My Experience with Scan

way to long ,only read the last sentence really.
    it seems your main problems werent with scan at all but delivery (they cant help it if it comes in different vans considering that would be citylinks hub control issue there)
    it seems overall you complicated your order way to much , certain dates / adding new orders etc etc - im not surprised it all got confusing for them to be honest!

Thanks

I think its something we all learn in general is not to order things soon before we are going away for hols. Sods law defines it will be at the most critical time when the order is delayed, delivery goes awry, component is faulty...

Thanks

AD-15 I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your progress with this system and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I'm glad that it's all sorted out and that you have a very nice working system! I hope you left good feedback on Hexus trust!
    And if you need any support in the future we here at the forums will surely help!
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Grumpy Old Git
    Thanks
    • slinger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-K
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k Haswell under a Corsair H80i
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 120gb SSD (OS), Crucial M500 250GB, 2TB Hitachi, 1TB Seagate SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750M
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 200r
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" LED
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200mb

If you dont mind me asking, whats a "networking stick"?
    Intel Core i5 4670k Haswell | Asus Z87-K | 16gb Corsair DDR3 Vengeance | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB OC | Crucial M500 120gb SSD (OS), Crucial M500 250gb SSD, 2TB & 1TB Sata's | Corsair Carbide 200r | LG 27" LED | Corsair CX750M | Corsair h80i

Thanks
    • McMav's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston Hyperx pc8500
      • Storage:
      • 160GB WD SATA2 500 GB Sammy
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS 6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Hyundai BlueH
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin cable

I'm guessing at a wi-fi usb adapter.

Thanks
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP

Sorry!

Yes, it is a wi-fi USB adaptor.
    Industrial espionage is simply the sincerest form of flattery......

Thanks

yes it was, i remember it well

Thread Information