Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marked CPU IHS = damaged Xigmatek.

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable

Marked CPU IHS = damaged Xigmatek.

Hi I bought a couple of things of scan which arrived friday 3rd. These included an E5200 and Xigmatek 120mm cooler. Upon arrival the box for the e5200 had taken a severe beating (almost flattened) but i wasnt fussed because the cpu was in one piece. I did notice marks on the cpu also, several faint scores across it and a tiny tiny chip right in the middle, again I didnt think this would be a problem. Iv had endless compatibility problems however with my Abit IP35 Pro where temp readings are not right (reading 250oC) and causing the cpu fan to randomly turn off during operation when it decides to. I updated the bios which at first I thought fixed my problems (temps came down) but it didnt. Basically I can be using the computer and the cpu fan will stop working and alarm bells start ringing. I called scan on friday 10th saying the CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard. The lady asked have i opened it? I said yes immediately got "...then we cant accept this back the thermal compound on the heatsink has been used" (talking about the cpu retail cooler) I said that it hadnt i was using an aftermarket cooler. "O.. We still cant return it". I explained I was perfectly willing to exchange it for a Core 2 Duo (e5200 being a Dual-Core which i didnt realise at first. Yes theres a difference) possibly an e7200/e8200. The lady said theres nothing she could do and I would have to try and sell it myself. I was extremely dissapointed at the lack of support and thought I might as well mention the state of the packaging which might as well have been opened and kicked about before i even got it. Anyway I left it at that because I was in work on a break. Iv since ordered an e7200 from another retailer which arrived today, installed working fine (no cpu fan issues) and immaculate condition. However the reason I have now been forced to write this thread is that upon removal of the e5200 I noticed the xigmatek has a fairly deep ding in one of the heatpipes where it makes contact with the cpu. Matching it with the cpu I then discovered that tiny chip in the cpu ihs has caused it. So I'm left with a 10 day old e5200 that hardly looks it which im not willing to sell on myself now, and a damaged xigmatek. Basically I want to know what scan is willing to do about it?

Kyle
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Marked CPU IHS = damaged Xigmatek.

Bad luck about that Korky, never accept the goods if they are damaged as bad as you say they are as the retailer will usually not believe your story once it's opened. I would have taken pics and emailed them asking what should I do. Had they said it's fine to open it I would say that if it's all bad when I try to run it I'll be returning it etc. Shouldn't let your guard down with any retailer. How old was it when you requested to return it as if it's under 7 days surely you can return it under the DSR?

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable

I had to open it to see that is was damaged (the IHS) as for the box, this was not a problem, wether or not its related to the chip on the IHS I dont know. I called on the 7th day, recieved friday, called the next friday but had no joy.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Registered+
    Thanks

Having reviewed this I can confirm that NO damage was ever reported to us.

The telephone conversation with my collegue made no mention of the state of the item on receipt.

As you have failed to report any damage on receipt then unfortunately we cannot process an RMA now on this basis as it is outside of the relevant timeframes stipulated in our Terms & Conditions.

Wesley

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable

I did make comment on the state item on reciept, after being told there was absolutely nothing that could be done I made comment on it. Regardless of the state of the item, under DSR 2000, a 7 day cooling off period must be given. So I would like to return it under that. But I did mention poor packaging in the phone call.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

Registered+
    Thanks

korky,

You are not able to make a claim under the DSR because as you never notified us the item was damaged within the 48 hour deadline as per our Terms & Conditions (quoted below) on receipt then it can only be classed as end user damage following installation of the item, the physical damage means you loose you right to any DSR claim.

Had you reported the damage claimed within the timeframe and without proceeding to use the item we would have been able to assist in the return of the item(s).

Wesley

<Insofar as you report any damage to goods to us within 48 hours of delivery we will refund the price and carriage or replace the goods at no cost to you.>

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Have you got any pictures of the damage to the IHS or Xigmatek? Where is the actual damage as iirc on the Core2Duo boxes you can see the CPU IHS and the HSF bottom as well. Pretty unlucky for this to happen to you. Always notify in writing too as telephone calls aren't real hard proof or it could just be denied or not passed on (the info that it was damaged upon receipt).

Is the dent and inwards or outwards one? (Pictures would really help)

PS - You would have been better off with eBuyer on this one as you have 10 days for cooling off and 7 days for reporting damages (<3)

You could always contact Intel to see if they can get it fixed seeing as you now have no warranty with Scan I assume and if Intel won't take it then the only thing to do would be to sell it or lap it to remove that dent and use it, hopefully lapping it will make the temps better.
    Last edited by moogle; 15-10-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable

At work now, will take pictures later on and up them. Doesn't look like theres much point though. Severely disappointed with how you are taking this Wesley. This damage is clearly not end user, its impossible that I could have made this miniscule dint. I am extremely careful handling these things (unlike your picking staff) Have a look at your stock probably not the only one thats like this. I don't think I even opened it until 3 days after receiving it i was that busy, so even if it came halved in two I would probably have got the same response. I'm generally not a fussy customer, I know for a fact the mark on the IHS has nothing to do with why the CPU is'nt working with my board so its not even damaged. Complete lack of customer support/orientation, I wasn't even looking for a refund just something that worked.

I will take pictures and post later if you would care to see.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

9. Received thanks from:

moogle (15-10-2008)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Korky View Post
    I will take pictures and post later if you would care to see.
    Thanks, is it because of the dent that there is an heat issue or is it an upward dent (like a miniscule mountain) causing the heatsink to be at a slight angle or is it an inward dent and the cpu just has heat problems? Understandable to be busy when receiving new items and these bad problems only happen then, I myself left my new motherboard in it's box for 2 weeks before getting time to assemble it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just to confirm in relation to the telephone call made into ourselves the CPU is a Pentium Dual Core, not a core 2 and is incompatibile with the motherboard.

korky feel free to upload images, this will have no effect on the outcome of this case however.

Wesley
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 15-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable

There aren't any heat issues as such, the xigmatek heatpipe has just dented in to accomodate the tiny hill on the IHS, temps went down to normal with bios update but the cpu fan would still randomly stop. Yes Wesley I did state that in my original post, the fact that its a dual core and not a core 2 duo is probably the reason its not working right therefore its not fit for use and why I reported that within 7 days.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Well if the dent is outwards (mountain) how the hell can anyone make that
    Unless you're superhuman and can manipulate objects. I'd say it could be solder but I'd think it would get crushed in between the HS and CPU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Korky View Post
    There aren't any heat issues as such, the xigmatek heatpipe has just dented in to accomodate the tiny hill on the IHS, temps went down to normal with bios update but the cpu fan would still randomly stop. Yes Wesley I did state that in my original post, the fact that its a dual core and not a core 2 duo is probably the reason its not working right therefore its not fit for use and why I reported that within 7 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    You are not able to make a claim under the DSR because as you never notified us the item was damaged within the 48 hour deadline as per our Terms & Conditions (quoted below) on receipt then it can only be classed as end user damage following installation of the item, the physical damage means you loose you right to any DSR claim.

Had you reported the damage claimed within the timeframe and without proceeding to use the item we would have been able to assist in the return of the item(s).

Wesley
    Wesley has stated there reason why you can not send back on 7 day DSR, I can not see how you can comment on how Scan's pickers handle hardware we are very carefull and use excellent packing materials and methods. The damage to the box was most likely done in transit which can happen unfortunately you did not mention this nor did you put a claim in for damaged in transit, we can not control your actions and in your own post admit to using the product.

Regards

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Registered+
    Thanks

Just to add in an earlier post you state you don't think you even opened the parcel for 3 days, but yet on the same day as delivery you create a post on the Hexus forum's:

http://forums.hexus.net/help-technic...ml#post1535861

in this post you state "everything is setup nicely"

So clearly you DID open the package immediately so you COULD have reported the packaging and the damage well within the required timeframes.

Thanks

Hi,only thing you might be able to claim on the CPU,is if there is a manufacturing fault/defect ie no way it could have been caused by the end user(no accompanying indentation to the,call it say blister etc etc), .Which could be or not be the case.Should be free from manufacturing faults/defects for at least 1yr.

Cheers BOB

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bibio View Post
    Hi,only thing you might be able to claim on the CPU,is if there is a manufacturing fault/defect ie no way it could have been caused by the end user(no accompanying indentation to the,call it say blister etc etc), .Which could be or not be the case.Should be free from manufacturing faults/defects for at least 1yr.

Cheers BOB
    Well Technically not as kyle has confirmed using an aftermarket cooler and not the original intel cooler which means that under Intel's warranty officially the warranty is now invalid on the cpu. However, it may be worth talking to Intel about this.

Wesley

Thread Information