• Case:
      • Custom open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro x64 / occasionally Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 48A9

Re: XFX 260-216 Black Edition RMA Please

Quote Originally Posted by Joey2oo7 View Post
    Agreed you paid extra for the overclocked version it should work at those speeds, but by the sounds of it a warranty replacement doesn't sound lightly so thought i'd suggest turning up the fan
    It's debatable whether using RivaTuner to override the card's automatic fan control will make any difference anyway. Unless something (else) is wrong, it should and will be throttling the fan up in response to increases in GPU temperature. As such, manually setting the fan on high speed all the time will just cause extra noise at a point when the card isn't actually producing extraneous heat.

About the only value in artificially forcing 100% fan is that Alfie would then have the ability to say "Look, I tried it, even with the fan turned all the way up, and it still doesn't perform stably at out-of-box speed settings"...
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richh View Post
    It's debatable whether using RivaTuner to override the card's automatic fan control will make any difference anyway. Unless something (else) is wrong, it should and will be throttling the fan up in response to increases in GPU temperature. As such, manually setting the fan on high speed all the time will just cause extra noise at a point when the card isn't actually producing extraneous heat.

About the only value in artificially forcing 100% fan is that Alfie would then have the ability to say "Look, I tried it, even with the fan turned all the way up, and it still doesn't perform stably at out-of-box speed settings"...
    Good points.....

Thanks

Ok guys just found this post i have a black edition that has giving me no problems since christmas i use vista 64bit and have none of the sypmtons.
    I have just dual booted xp as i had sound problems with Left 4 dead in Vista and guess what only in xp i get the crash with the sound loop and the same pic as the first post.
    So my question is could this be a driver a problem rather then a hardware one?
    I do not get this crash in vista mabey its cause vista handles crashes better but i can rember many warnings of this so mabey try a older driver as i am going to try in xp.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theslasher@ntlw View Post
    Ok guys just found this post i have a black edition that has giving me no problems since christmas i use vista 64bit and have none of the sypmtons.
    I have just dual booted xp as i had sound problems with Left 4 dead in Vista and guess what only in xp i get the crash with the sound loop and the same pic as the first post.
    So my question is could this be a driver a problem rather then a hardware one?
    I do not get this crash in vista mabey its cause vista handles crashes better but i can rember many warnings of this so mabey try a older driver as i am going to try in xp.
    I dont think so chief, I too run Vista 64 and prior to starting the RMA process I went through 4 different driver versions, running drive sweeper between each driver install.

My card started off crashing very infrequently and I put it down to CODWAW which is full of bugs, however it then crashed more and more frequently on me. On the night I tried the 4 driver versions I had 4 crashes - once with each driver, each after a few minutes gaming once the card got too hot. I've had my mates EVGA 260SSC for a few days and it has been in my system running the same driver version as the XFX card without issue.

Registered+
    Thanks

Spoke to lee on 19/2/09, Card should have been back with Scan on the 18/2/09 but it didn't turn up he tells me it will now be next Wednesday (the 25th) some four weeks after I sent it to scan before its received back and can then be tested again by scan and either escalated with XFX or returned to me. Incidentally Lee has told me they get cards back from XFX which XFX say are fine but XFX have actually repaired them, that's fine but why not say so?

Called again on the 20th to speak to the returns manager, Lee told me Wesley was away from his desk but would call me back.... no call back.

I've also not received any reply to the 2 PM's I've sent to Wesley on the 10th and 11th.

I've also not received any replies to my email sent on the 11th regarding reclaiming the postage which I had to pay out as I wasn't offered any collection options by Scan.

Overall I have owned this card for 7 weeks, 3 weeks it was in a box waiting for xmas, 4 weeks in was in my PC and come Wednesday this week it will have been back at scan for 4 weeks. I'm not happy with the time this is taking and each time I speak to Scan, generally in 1 week intervals the time line I'm told always expands by a week, i.e. after 2 weeks I was told it can take 3, after 3 weeks it can take 4.....

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

just get a refund m8, there taking the pee again.

Thanks

Just ask for a refund under the sale of goods act, you have a great case here, the onus is on you to prove it's faulty but Scan themselves have found it to be faulty, job done.
    Ask nicely quoting;

"• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time".

I would imagine you have given a reasonable amount of time given how much time XFX have had the card otherwise is it OK and reasonable amount of time they have had the card for a repair possibly that you have not given permission for them to do, it's your choice to have a reapir not XFX's

Amyway missing the point here your contract is with Scan if you want a refund telll Scan that's what you want, it is your right in law.

Registered+
    Thanks

It seems the RMA has been completed, spoke to Wesley adn got it all sorted.

Thanks to those involved.
    Last edited by Sepulchre; 23-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Can someone at Scan confirm my refund has been made, I was told it would be put through quickly given the time already taken, granted its only just over a week ago but there isn't any sign of it yet in my account.

Thanks

Sepulchre

Please PM me the RMA number so I can check on this for you.

Registered+
    Thanks

PM sent.

Thanks.

Thanks

Sepulchre

I can see that £233.74 was refunded on - 26 Feb 2009 13:28 - I would expect the refund to appear in your account within the next 1-2 days.

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

That's great thanks Chris I'll keep a look out for it.

14. Received thanks from:

Chris P (03-03-2009)

Thanks

a quick question along similar lines: I have a XFX GTX260 Black Edition which is causing the same issue (Screen freezing at random time intervals). I've contacted Scan who have in turn put me in contact with XFX's ticketing system.

I filled in the info blah blah blah.. only to get a message back from XFX asking me to effectively diagnose the fault myself and then go and try the card in another system!

is this common practice? i was under the impression that they would test it and advise me, not me test it then advise them?? it just seems like it's the wrong way round....

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riotharmus View Post
    a quick question along similar lines: I have a XFX GTX260 Black Edition which is causing the same issue (Screen freezing at random time intervals). I've contacted Scan who have in turn put me in contact with XFX's ticketing system.

I filled in the info blah blah blah.. only to get a message back from XFX asking me to effectively diagnose the fault myself and then go and try the card in another system!

is this common practice? i was under the impression that they would test it and advise me, not me test it then advise them?? it just seems like it's the wrong way round....
    Would be common enough to be asked to check some things before an RMA is authorized. Though in XFX's case i'd put it down to their awful support. I hope you get it resolved, shame you never seen this thread before buying an XFX product.

Thanks

well it's been quite a carry on, after running my own tests (using two seperate systems) and linking the failure to hitting a set temperature (sound familiar!).. XFX said; yeah sounds like the cards broke send it back via scan and we'll replace it.

sent back via scan and 2 weeks later XFX tell scan that the card's fine and i'll be getting it back... oh joy!

apparently when they send them back they replace the stock cooler and thermal compound, flash the BIOS and give it a quick clean... somehow i'm not too confident this will resolve the issue..

Thread Information