• Corsair 400R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 19" Flatron M237WD
      • Internet:
      • 90mb

Re: XFX 260-216 Black Edition RMA Please

I also have the GTX260 Black Edition, I bought it second hand after a few months use, used it a few months myself and all is well as I type this. Am slightly worried about all this negativity :S

Please don't let my card go wrong :S

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riotharmus View Post
    well it's been quite a carry on, after running my own tests (using two seperate systems) and linking the failure to hitting a set temperature (sound familiar!).. XFX said; yeah sounds like the cards broke send it back via scan and we'll replace it.

sent back via scan and 2 weeks later XFX tell scan that the card's fine and i'll be getting it back... oh joy!

apparently when they send them back they replace the stock cooler and thermal compound, flash the BIOS and give it a quick clean... somehow i'm not too confident this will resolve the issue..
    Well hopefully it was just a dodgy/poorly fitted cooler that was causing the problem in the first place.

Thanks
    • Sgt_Oddball's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sapphire AM2RS790GX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II x2 550 (running as the B20 quad core at 3.5ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB corsair DDR2 1066mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Was an XFX 4870 XXX 512mg
      • PSU:
      • 700 watt CiT
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Acer
      • Internet:
      • 8mg

Quote Originally Posted by Riotharmus View Post
    well it's been quite a carry on, after running my own tests (using two seperate systems) and linking the failure to hitting a set temperature (sound familiar!).. XFX said; yeah sounds like the cards broke send it back via scan and we'll replace it.

sent back via scan and 2 weeks later XFX tell scan that the card's fine and i'll be getting it back... oh joy!

apparently when they send them back they replace the stock cooler and thermal compound, flash the BIOS and give it a quick clean... somehow i'm not too confident this will resolve the issue..
    Just wondering Riotharmus how long did you have the card before this happened? And aside from XFX saying double check in another system the cards faulty (they did the same with me, but then the tech supports in America I think so thats about the best they can do) did they give any other advice?

As a final point of interest was it definitely your card you got back? I've heard stories of people getting different cards (or in my case no repair, no replacement just a cash offer of about half the cost new of the card)

Thanks

If its just a temp issue relating to bios fan profile then you can normally rectify that easily enough by altering the profile and reflashing or if you dont want to use flash tools then by using software, eg rivatuner.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong i've had the card a decent innings circa 18 months, though if XFX want to offer a life time warenty then i'm going to expect it.

It's definitly my card that's come back, it's not been touched.. well certainly not cleaned/inspected.

when i got my hands on it i reinstalled it andusing the most upto date drivers it runs for a grand total of about 90 seconds on FurMark before crashing out (temps mid 70's). So i thought i'd try it on the previous driver and it runs very stable (all be it at significantly lower FPS (?)) untill at random "expected clock return" errors appear and blue screen.

either way i can't win.

I've been asked to take it in to Scan when there's a manager in with a hope to resolving this... fingers crossed.

Thanks
    • Sgt_Oddball's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sapphire AM2RS790GX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II x2 550 (running as the B20 quad core at 3.5ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB corsair DDR2 1066mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Was an XFX 4870 XXX 512mg
      • PSU:
      • 700 watt CiT
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Acer
      • Internet:
      • 8mg

Hope you can get the manager to sort it, personally I had to give up in the end and accept the partial refund.

On the plus side trading an a load of old junk (including my knackered old phone) and exchanged it for a 4890 sapphire vapor-x through computer exchange which I have been promised the 12 month warranty they offer means either a replacement of the product from stock (though I doubt i'd get another vapor-x, that was just pure chance) or a full refund which has me feeling alot better.

Moral of the story I think is that in Europe XFX warranties ain't worth much at all (as the lifetime warranty and second user 1 year warranty is only offered in the U.S. I checked) and unless you get an understanding person at scan they just want to pass everything onto XFX as they handle all of the warranties and testing from what I see.

Thread Information