• Alfieg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus II Formula (intel P45)
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.60ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb (2 x 2gb) OCZ Reaper @ 1125mhz 5-5-5-18
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Raptor X (RAID 0) + 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1tb Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GTX 280 XT
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A10
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 10 down

Angry Imminent XFX RMA.

Hi folks, I am new to this forum but have been a customer of Scan for a long time and have not had any major problems until now and oh boy, it's a gooden.

I recently purchased an XFX GTX 280 from Scan but was forced to upgrade to the XT version because there were none in stock, even though stock was shown on the site. Unfortunately it is a very common fault with Scan who do not update stock info on their website quickly enough.

So........... I install the card in my lovely Lian-li with plenty of cooling and power it on. Everything seems fine, idle temps are 45c so i fire up the Far Cry 2 benchmark. On every second loop it crashes to desktop with "display driver has stopped working". Interesting. So i try 3dmark vantage and it crashes in the same way on the first loop. I try a few other games and benchmarks and it's the same story.

What surprises me at this point is that the card temps aren't going higher than 75c.

I immediately think it isn't stable at the factory OC I paid for so i download riva tuner and underclock it to Nvidia reference speeds. IT WORKS, NO ISSUES, ROCK SOLID.

I did a bit of reading and found out that this is quite common with factory overclocked cards and it would be worth returning to Scan for a replacement to see if i got "lucky" second time around.

I phoned Scan returns and spoke to a guy who I think was called Mark who was superb and needs a pat on the back. It's so so rare to phone a tech department these days and speak to someone who knows the cards and can even tell you what benchies they use. He even genuinely sympathised with my predicament so fair play in all regards. WE NEED MORE MARKS.

Unfortunately He had some extremely bad news for me. It would be returned to Scan for testing and then sent on to XFX for secondary testing by them. Apparently then XFX give approval for Scan to send out a replacement. The process can take up to 20 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i could be without my card for nearly a month or they might not recreate my issue and will return my faulty card to me and charge me loadsa money. I've also heard that Scan often send out open box cards as replacements, eek!

I'm really worried about this and i am hoping someone can put my mind at rest. I haven't even had the card for a week so i thought i had some rights, and surely the contract i entered into with Scan when i agreed to pay for the card is their issue as a retailer and nothing to do with XFX???!!!!

When i later spoke to a lady at Scan i queried this method and pointed out that whilst they claimed it was standard policy with XFX cards other retailers (the other 3) deal with it all internally. This is when i was horrified to hear these words "These other companies will be losing money if they replace cards which XFX later find not to be faulty and the company cannot claim the refund from XFX". So now i see it all makes sense, the other companies put the customer first and Scan do not? She also made no apology telling me that Scans returns dept were running 4 days behind.

I'm sorry for the long post but i'm really hoping someone on the forum or at Scan can explain this travesty to me. It's too much hassle to go through for essentially a DOA card where the fault was flagged up so quickly by the customer.

Can we keep responses based more on the customer services and returns side of things rather than my setup. I have a cool running, stable system with 720w enermax cpu (8+6pin), 181.22 drivers and a trusty 8800 GTX which worked faultlessly in the system.

Please help. Will this end in disaster? I'm not trying to be a bitch about scan, i'm genuinely worried and i'm in the middle of my Uni exams, so this aint helping.
    Last edited by Alfieg; 29-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Terrified by imminent XFX RMA.

Alfieg

Thanks for the kind comments

Please PM me with your invoice / RMA details and i'll look into what can be done for you.

Regards
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 30-01-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Alfieg

Please be aware the procedure in relation to XFX returns for DOA products has recently changed and will speed these returns up. I have only just finalised all of the details with the relevent managers here at Scan and have today instructed my contact centre staff on this change. This change is effective immediately, Alfieg Mark will discuss this change with you and advise you of the options available and the timeframes for each.

Please be aware we are still working on a new procedure for returns of XFX products outside of the DOA period and within the warranty period and will feedback more information on this shortly.

All posts except the original in this thread have been deleted as almost all of them were flame posts and factually incorrect almost all of the time.

The thread has been locked to allow this message to be read by everyone easilly.

Alfieg if you wish to call and speak to myself directly I will try and make myself available for your call, however, Mark is nore than capable of resolving this matter for you.

Wesley

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@SCAN View Post

Please PM me with your invoice / RMA details and i'll look into what can be done for you.
    He can't. As a new member, PM isn't activated. I've now manually activated it to allow him to do it if he he wishes, and hasn't already contacted you another way, but that alone is a good reason for not locking threads like this.

Registered+
    Thanks

Saracen,

This has already been completely resolved with the customer.

Wesley

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

And if the thread hadn't been locked, maybe he'd have posted to that effect. The last post said "Alfieg if you wish to call and speak to myself directly I will try and make myself available for your call, however, Mark is nore than capable of resolving this matter for you." Clearly, it wasn't at that point.

Thanks

It's unfortunate any thread has to be locked but sometimes it does - Some of the information posted in this thread was inaccurate and therefore removed, we don't always have the time to filter out every post individually so the whole lot went apart from the original post - We are not hiding the issue.

Let's keep the feedback accurate, to the point and factual and then hopefully we won't find ourselves in the position to have to lock threads again. We don't often but this doesn't mean that we won't.

We have contacted user's directly about their behavior as well. The forum is for support not a portal for people to actively attempt to make an issue worse, save this for "other" forums as it's not welcome here !

The issue has been resolved now and possibly should have been resolved sooner, we have "Alfieg" feedback on board so we can further improve our service and XFX as you ALL know are working with SCAN to improve the RMA process.

Regards

Thread Information