Thread: BSOD 3XS Overclocked Bundle

Thanks

BSOD 3XS Overclocked Bundle

Hi there, i've recently been having trouble with my 3XS Overclocked Bundle from Scan and have had no luck in contacting a support colleague via Phone to troubleshoot the issue and i am thus far disapointed in the service provided.

The bundle purchased is as followed;

Qty Components
    Default Products
    1 3XS OCB P67 Edge
    1 3XS Overclocked Bundle
    Overclocking
    1 Intel i5/i7 professionally overclocked to 4.7Ghz!
    CPU
    1 Intel Core i7 2600K, 3.4Ghz, Quad Core, 8Mb Cache, Hyperthreading
    CPU Coolers
    1 Alpenfohn Matterhorn Performance CPU Cooler
    Motherboard P67
    1 Asus Sabertooth P67 - Rev3!
    Memory - DDR3!
    1 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair XMS3 Classic, DDR3 1600Mhz

Every so often (at completly random intervals) the system will BSOD citing a hardware error has forced the system to stop. I've been unsuccessful in replicating the issue to narrow down the cause. I've also noticed that when this happens it will sometime fail to dump the files to the hard drive or when it reboots it will freeze prior to the windows loading screen which is making me wonder if there is an issue with the SATA controller on the motherboard?

I think this because i've went from a 640gb WD Cavier Black to a 2TB Seagate to my new 60GB OCZ vertex 2E and have had all the same issues.

I've tried full swap outs of all system components that are not part of the bundle with no luck.

Other system components are as follows;

MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr
    60gb OCZ Vertex 2E
    2x 1TB WD Cavier Black 6Gbps in RAID 0
    2TB Seagate HD
    Creative Fatality Pro Soundcard
    Bigfoot 2100 Network card
    Corsair HX850w PSU.

Settings supplied by Scab rep who tested the bundle are as follows (though some vary from what was stated meerly by decimal places);

AI Overclock Tuner- XMP
    BCLK frequency- 100.0
    Memory frequency- 1600MHz
    CPU ratio- 47
    Speedstep- Disabled
    Turbo mode- Enabled
    Load line calibration- Extreme
    Phase Control- Extreme
    CPU voltage (manual)- 1.4V
    DRAM voltage- 1.5V/1.65V
    CPU PLL- 1.9V
    VCCIO- 1.1V
    VCCSA- 1.1V
    CPU spread spectrum- Disabled
    Thermal monitor- Disabled
    C1E/C3/C6- Disabled

I will provide dump files and other info if this will help diagnose the issue.

Thanks

Re: BSOD 3XS Overclocked Bundle

I have my dump files available but due to my limited amount of posts i can not post a URL so i can provide a link via PM to any interested parties and SCAN support.

Thanks
    • FlatFour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Sandy Bridge 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 2x4gb Vengeance 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster TX650
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690 II Lite
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2452T (24")

Hi,

If you've told windows to NOT automatically reboot when there's a failure so you can actually read the information the Blue Screen provides, this might help. It's basically a list of what the most common codes mean:

BSOD Error codes and what they mean:
    0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

0x101 = increase vcore
    0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is
    on i7 45nm, usually means too little VVT/QPI for the speed of Uncore
    on i7 32nm SB, usually means too little vCore
    0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
    0x1E = increase vcore
    0x3B = increase vcore
    0x3D = increase vcore
    0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
    0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
    0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
    0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
    0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)

Seeing which code you get, and if it's consistantly the same code, might help point you towards the underlying issue.

You say the issue is random, but are you gennerally say Playing a game (moderate CPU load) when doing this? Sat at desktop/surfing etc. (low CPU load) or running Benchmarking programs (High GPU or CPU load)?

It's difficult, but trying to identify a pattern - if there is one - can really help. For example, on one of my overclocks, my system would benchmark and game perfectly. Leave it idle for a few moments and bam, blue screen. I fixed this by re-enabling C1E of all things.

On an overclocked system I'd assume the CPU OC is problematic, possibly not enough vCore, or voltage for the on-die memory controller. However it could just as easily be some faulty device, badly seated part (fails as it heats up) there's any number of things. Hopefully the list above will provide a pointer at least.

Note: to ensure W7 does not automatically reboot:

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced (Tab) > Startup and Recovery - Settings > Un-Check "Automatically Restart".

Note: at this stage I'd advise you purely collect information regarding the issue to provide to the Scan tech team. I'd recommend not trying to change things yourself at this stage unless instructed to do so by Scan.

Cheers & best of luck,

FF.
    Last edited by FlatFour; 27-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info - I'm getting 2 different BSOD codes 0x000001e and 0x0000124

Thought that it was possibly due to bad drivers, The ASUS websites intel chipset and Lan drivers are very out of date so i grabbed the best availible ones from another website and went a whole 7 hours with no BSOD. Thought i'd hit the nail on the head but then i got a 0x000001e while i was watching a video on youtube and a 0x0000124 literally 2 minutes after booting into windows though it failed to dump those files to the drive.

I've read about an issue with the Motherboard and the LAN controller with regards to NDIS.SYS (though my 0x000001e is coming from tcpip.sys) which mention an upgrade of the Bios would resolve such an issue.

[Asus Sabertooth P67 Owners] NDIS.SYS BSOD Fix
    Just a heads up, This can be fixed by Updating to latest BIOS then Chipset and NIC drivers.
    This was over on the Aria forum, though my understanding is that i am unable to update my bios as this is an overclocked bundle.

Thanks
    • FlatFour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Sandy Bridge 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 2x4gb Vengeance 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster TX650
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690 II Lite
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2452T (24")

Hi,

Hmm, this certainly sounds like your overclock isn't quite stable for whatever reason. Both the 0x1E and the 0x124 suggest a few more v's might help.

Regarding your BIOS, you could of course update it, but that would almost certainly overwrite whatever settings the Scan techs have applied. Saying that, considering the fact that your build isn't stable, it might be an option.

Really though, you've bought a package that doesn't work properly, the Scan techs really need to get involved here. Unfortunately this likely means shipped the PC back to them.

An option might be to apply the new BIOS, all settings at default. Test system at these stock settings - I'd expect it to be 100% stable. Then possibly the Scan techs can talk you through re-applying your overclock - after all you've paid for this overclock, so they should be more than willing to assist. Better for both parties as you get to keep your PC and Scan don't have to incur any shipping costs.

Before all the above, and if you're comfortable doing so, you could just go into the BIOS, ensure the current overclocking profile is saved (it likely will be already) then try reducing the CPU Multi a little to see if stability improves. If it does then you've identified the problem.

Speak to Scan, see what they advise. From these posts they can see you're having difficulties and will be more than willing to assist I'm sure.

Best of luck,

FF.

Thanks

Thanks again FlatFour.

Finally got through to tech support today, though i had to go via their standard queries channel and got dropped straight to a tech agent. So i now have direct e-mail with one of the guys and have been advised forward with the steps to take to try and get this overclock stable.

Mr S* C*,

Hi, further to our telephone conversation, please run the system at stock settings to see if the issues continue.

If the system is now stable please let us know and we will ask the engineer to double check all of the over clocked settings and correct these as required.

Regards,

Michael W
    Scan Computers

Thanks

Emailed Scan Technical support on the 30/5/11 at around 7am in reply to my online query and as of today have yet to get any response on this matter.

Can someone chase this up for me?

Query 0911155

Hi Michael,

Not long after we spoke i received another Bluescreen referring to NDIS.SYS and TCPIP.sys. Taking your advice i went to the bios and backed up scan's OC values to one of my profile slots and then loaded Optimized defaults and as of then i have received no further bluescreens of either of the 2 error codes i had mentioned over on my forum post at hexus.

What steps should i consider next? Is the bios update possibly going to rectify this? Or is it more likely the Overclock is causing both issues?

Thanks again

Thread Information