Thread: Tagan 480

Thanks

Unhappy Tagan 480

This is currently an RMA in progress with SCAN (cheers!) but wondered if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. I've been recommended an Akasa 480w as a replacement instead.

The Tagan kept powering itself off as soon as it was put under any kind of load and then refused to switch back on for a significant amount of time. Once up to 5 long, expletive fillled hours.

I tried it on three different systems in the end. An old NF7 with ide drives - switched off when trying to rip music.

My daughters gigabyte system with a 3200 Athlon, 9800pro - switched off whenever she tried to launch anything.

My new system - which is the one I started with. 3500 Athlon, 2 x 6600GT in SLI, 74gb Raptor blah blah. Again - powers off the moment I do anything significant - like launching Half Life 2, running Itunes, clicking on the fricking start button....

It's pretty clear that it's knackered but I wondered if anyone else had suffered this kind of problem - I've read the threads where Tagan's are blowing up or ticking but not heard anything about it just sulking! Thank goodness my trupower 380 is running my new rig happily (Trupower - ) whilst I wait - otherwise I'd be one unhappy girly!

SCAN Computers Pete the Painter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Florrie Fimble
    This is currently an RMA in progress with SCAN (cheers!) but wondered if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. I've been recommended an Akasa 480w as a replacement instead.

The Tagan kept powering itself off as soon as it was put under any kind of load and then refused to switch back on for a significant amount of time. Once up to 5 long, expletive fillled hours.

I tried it on three different systems in the end. An old NF7 with ide drives - switched off when trying to rip music.

My daughters gigabyte system with a 3200 Athlon, 9800pro - switched off whenever she tried to launch anything.

My new system - which is the one I started with. 3500 Athlon, 2 x 6600GT in SLI, 74gb Raptor blah blah. Again - powers off the moment I do anything significant - like launching Half Life 2, running Itunes, clicking on the fricking start button....

It's pretty clear that it's knackered but I wondered if anyone else had suffered this kind of problem - I've read the threads where Tagan's are blowing up or ticking but not heard anything about it just sulking! Thank goodness my trupower 380 is running my new rig happily (Trupower - ) whilst I wait - otherwise I'd be one unhappy girly!

Tagan are my choice for high end systems atm.

I have 3 and two of them are in SLi rigs. Personally i'd stick with them.

Thanks
    Tagan although make out there high end PSUs there not - when I did a huge roundup of PSUs a year back and got this sample Tagan it was nothing compared to the Enermax and Antec, it just couldn't keep as stable a load as those. Even the ThermalTake Butterfly kept a more stable load.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealrocks
    Tagan although make out there high end PSUs there not - when I did a huge roundup of PSUs a year back and got this sample Tagan it was nothing compared to the Enermax and Antec, it just couldn't keep as stable a load as those. Even the ThermalTake Butterfly kept a more stable load.
    ymmv
    & yet my Tagan 480 outperformed my Antec True480 such that I then sold the Antec and bought another Tagan 480...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    I think they've improved...
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    My own two psus of choice are Tagan & Enermax.

Thread Information