Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3XS System - Broke Again!

Thanks

Exclamation 3XS System - Broke Again!

Hi There,

Not heard from me for a while, so just to recap as history might give a clue with the problem I am having now...

Ordered 3XS System in January,
    Got Computer on the 10th Feb,
    Computer broke after 11 hours,
    You did a RMA, and replaced one of the Nvidia Cards,
    Got PC back exacly one week later,
    PC not booting first time sometimes, freezing at POST, etc
    I was very busy, so took me a while but, I took out and put in the Cards myself as advised, and flashed BIOS, etc.
    PC was then working as it should.

Now for the new issues I have been having...

Started my PC up a few days ago, and it worked fine loaded Windows XP, but only a Single Screen turned on, not two in the dual screen setup I prefer. So I thought "Odd, don't remember using SLi last night?". However, on going into the display properties to turn SLi off and turn Dual Screen on, Windows had only on Graphics Card detected. So it was actually running as a normal single graphics card pc, not a SLi, dual screen one.

I then restarted the computer and it then detected the second card and booted into dual screen. So I made a note of what had happened and was going to submit a OLQ or call later about that as its concerning.

Today, I have tried turning the computer on, at which point Windows starts to load, and then just as the logo appears and the blue loading bar, it blue screen of deaths me and then instantly restarts the PC. I was AFK so only noticed on the second run, that it kept failing to boot, so then I tried Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, and Normal, trying to roll back Windows as I am thinking its a software issue. All of which fail, blue screen and restart the PC.

So, I try repairing windows using the disc, just installing the windows files again. After doing all its stuff, it says at the bottom "Starting Windows" at which point it also blue screens, but stays on the screen. So I took a screen shot which might help you work out whats wrong. (Photo with a camera really)

Link: http://www.romstrad.com/files/windows.JPG

So, now I am thinking its a Hard Drive problem, rather than software. But to prove that, I get my SUSE Linux 9.2 64bit DVD out, and try installing linux on the computer. That also fails, with slightly more information on its version of a blue screen of death. So I have taken a photo of that too. Not sure if it will hint as too what the issue was?

Link: http://www.romstrad.com/files/linux.JPG

I have now opened the PC, checked the SATA HDD cables, and then restarted, still not working, so to confirm that its the HDD, I decide to boot a Live Disc of Linux that runs of Memory. However, my SUSE 9.3 live disc, freezes too, just before the main loading screen, it just displays a black screen forever. Just before it loads the x window system display software for linux I think XFree86? Thats just a guess though.

Anyway, The HDD may be at fault, but the issues with the Graphics Card might be the reason too? I presume that you replaced the wrong card when the PC last broke perhaps? As the motherboard and one of the cards changed, it only really leaves the last card? The HDD might be ok though?

What I will do is post this on the forum, and wait til tuesday as you are closed til then for easter. (Why does my PC break, when Scan are closed. Last time it was Saturday Night, so I had to wait til Monday. )

I will submit a OLQ too, but your OLQ are not formatted I don't think, it removes all the breaks, etc, from the preview I get after submitting one anyway. So I will add a link to here so you can read the issues, and such better, and have the links to the photos in a nicer format.

Could I request that as I am still only 3 months into my warrenty and have had so many problems, that you pick up the PC asap, and just really fix it, doing full tests to make sure I can rely on it, so that I won't get any more problems. I don't mind you formating the HDD with your Win XP Pro OS you use for testing, or keeping the PC for a week or more, to do tests, reboots, turning it on and off, with hour breaks, etc. Switching between SLI, and Dual Screen. Just to make sure that it will work.

I know that when you first built the PC, you did huge number of tests, which is good, and I am sure that it does mean that nearly 100% of your 3XS systems do work perfectly. But there is something wrong somewhere with mine to still have issues after the first tests, and the tests when you took it back the first time.

Anyway. If you can get back to me asap via pm, phone or email. Can't post my personnel details here of course, but they will be in the OLQ, or I can pm them?

Many Thanks in Advance
    Ross

Thanks
    Ross,

I shall give you my work email address in a PM - please provide me with the OLQ reference number and build number if you have this to hand as well as the best contact number for someone to contact you on on Tuesday morning (were closed until then) and I shall get one of the guys from systems support to give you a ring

Thanks
    Carlh,

Thank you for your fast reply. (Email Sent) Don't worry, I am not angry or anything mind. I am just quite depressed about this, thats all.

Its very impressive how you reply within 5 minutes at 9:30pm though. Your service is always reasuring, especially when you do things like that.

Many Thanks

Thanks
    Is anyone from Scan still about?

Just got home, and I have an email saying:-

Delivery Instructions:
    Description of Goods:
    Please make sure you place the system back in a box for transit and we will resolve this problem once and for all.

regards

Rick
    Scan Computers
    Now I have checked with City Link, and its a simple collection job according to there site. Problem is, the only Box I have is the Silverstone Case Box, that the PC came in, but not that Huge Brown Box that that Case Box came in. (Its been 2 months so it was disposed of) Just wondering now, is a Case Box, gonna be good enough for them to collect the PC in. Its only gonna have the 2 polystyrene bits either end of the case, in the box, and the anti static buble wrap inside the case?

Can I expect a brown box to be sent to me hours before the collection like the last RMA of the PC? or is the Box I have fine for collection? I am presuming it is, as when I was on the phone to Richard? or Rick? this morning, they said what box I had and I said just the case box and they said that was fine, but seems odd as different to the last RMA of the PC.

Also, last time you requested the Motherboard Box too... Wait a second... Perhaps thats why there was a bigger box so its one package rather than two. Makes sence as this time you did not request or would not need the motherboard box. Hmm. Ok, that makes sence if thats why. Oh ok.

Well, any clarification before its gets picked would be nice, (Slightly hopeful seeing as its 11pm) but otherwise I will just just send it in the Case Box when they collect it tomorrow morning. Guess it will be fine as its quite snug in the box anyway. Well it takes quite some effort fitting it in anyway.

Thanks if someone picks this up before city link collect. Otherwise nevermind, probably me being picky or worring too much?

Ross

Thanks

Hi Ross

I just tried calling you on your telephone to discuss this. It should not be a problem if you just have the case box on its own with the polystyrene. The courier are very good, the reason why I suggested using just the case box is because we are only returning the system and this would be the quicker way of getting the system back and resolving the issues with the PC. If we required other items such as the motherboard box, etc then I would of sent a large scan box for the motherboard box as well as other items. You do not need to worry we will get the Pc back and resolve all the issues that we discussed on the phone yesterday as a priority.

Thanks
    Oh ok,

City Link just picked up the PC this morning at dead on 9am, so I am now in the office at work again. I presume you tried calling on my home number when I would have been on the bus. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your assistance though, look forward to finally getting the PC back with all the problems resolved finally.

Thanks
    Hi,

I will keep you updated as to what we find out when we get the pc back here.

Thanks

System Back at Scan

Our engineer has just started testing the system and some of the programs he used, crashed out in the same way as you have mentioned. After further testing, we have discovered that the problem with the system is the memory which is faulty. We have run memtest which has confirmed this. We are replacing the memory and going to retest the system to make sure there is no other issues with the system.

Thanks
    Thanks Rick,

Hmm, would not have guessed it was a memory issue? Anyway...

Would the memory issues likely to be the cause of or linked too the Video Problems, and Power Up Problems that were experienced before? Also, the issue of the computer only detecting one video card, would that be seperate or possibly due to memory?

You will probably know that from the results of the retest and if it detects other issues or not of course.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me updated.

Thanks

System Testing

Since the memory has been replaced the system is more stable and not crashed, currently got 3d mark 06 running and testing the graphics. It looks as though this maybe the reason why linux kernel panicked and also the issues occuring under windows.

We would like to update windows full and finalise our testing on the system to make sure none of the micrsoft updates will cause any issues with the currently installed software and hardware. Could Please contact us regarding the product key so that we can do this.

thanks

Thanks
    Re-assuring service from the chaps at Scan. Nice one, hope its all sorted soon.

Thanks
    I have PM'ed you the details you needed. I am presuming that the Hard Drive was formatted and it has the windows that came pre installed like the first time I got the 3XS system, that asks for a product key when you first turn it on?

Can I also just check you got the extra 1GB of ram that I paid for few days ago, spoke to Lee @ Scan who said there would be no problem poping it into the 3XS system rather than posting it to me on the hexus/scan carrage offer.

The charge for the ram is showing on my Credit Card statement online now, so I presume its fine?

Thanks
    Hello Ross,

Im the engineer working on your system, all seems ok so far got the new memory, 4 new sticks.

Im going to test for the rest of the day and then I will run MemTest over the weekend or maybe Prime.

Will keep you updated

Thanks
    Thanks Craig,

Any updates over how the weekend tests went? No new problems encountered I hope?

Thanks
    Hello,

The system I left running Memtest over the weekend totalling 82 passes with 0 errors.

Ive been benching the machine all day and havnt had any probs at all. Its done 2 x reboot tests both of which were for 30 resets, each time it booted back into windows with SLI enabled with no problems in displaying.

Ive tested a condemed and blazing angels demos no problems to report.

I can send the system tonight for delievry to you tomorrow if thats ok ??

The problems you were getting must of been down to the old memory as it errored in the 1st second on memtest, memory errors cause lots of chaos.

Craig.

Thanks
    Gmail Notifier signed out so I got no message telling me that a reply had been made.

Is it still too late to get it sent for tommorow? Just tried calling and your office is closed so I presume so. I will call tommorow to arrange return.

Many thanks though, your support has been great.
    Last edited by Ross Stone; 24-04-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thread Information