Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split your large orders with Scan

Thanks

Split your large orders with Scan

I'm sure the more experienced customers are already aware of this, but other new customers (this was my first order) might benefit from this information.

Just a word of advice for anyone else ordering several items at once with Scan, particularly if you're not wanting immediate dispatch. It appears Scan do not hold items for you. Even if you've already paid for them they can be sold to other customers, presumably to reduce their storage requirements. So regardless of whether an item is 'in stock' when you order it, that item may be sold to another customer a day or two later so that your order fails when it is due to be picked.

I placed an order for 7 items on 5th August and paid for it by credit card. I chose 9th August as delivery date as I could guarantee being at home that day. All 7 items were in stock.

Late on 8th August my order status hadn't changed so I phoned Scan. In the intervening 3 days, 2 of the items had sold out, one of which was now discontinued. I changed the discontinued item (for one in stock), and waited for the other item (a cooler) to be restocked.

Yesterday (15th Aug) I received notification that the cooler is still out of stock and another item has now also sold out, 10 days after I paid for it.

As you can see, this could continue for some time. One item may go out of stock before another comes back in.

The best approach would be to split your order into as many separate orders as possible, thus reducing the impact of any individual item going out of stock by the time the order is picked. I'll be doing this retrospectively today by cancelling several items from my order and re-ordering them under a new invoice.

Thanks
    Scan is a brilliant place to buy things but i too have seen that sometimes there plicies really can become a pain for the customer.

ALso shopping from the website sometimes can mean you buy something which was in the Bundled offers for the week but when you place the order for the item you have no idea and lose out on a great offer and end up paying the full ammount for one item , where as you could have bought two items and saved about 20% on the whole order.

Some policies need to seriously be revieved , Scan is still great but one should try and always better what they already have , its good for business.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    As good a company as Scan is and as much as I like the free delivery, this is the main reason I have started using Tekheads.co.uk instead (other reason is that you cannot use switch when deliverying to your works address, only credit cards)

They allocate your items at order time and they stay allocated to you.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    DerbyJon

We are currently creating an option which will allow you to select part shipment of your order, which will resolve issues such as this. So stock items can be sent and the OOS items will ship separately once they arrive back in stock.

Watch this space....

Regards

Thanks
    nope

I presume you mean if you order a product, which is on offer IE Today Only / Mix It / shop offers item from the standard web site, which will add the item at the standard Retail price?

Eventually products, which are on offer will automatically be flagged.

At the moment you would have to order the item from the page it is on offer at to receive the offer price

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 17-08-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    shaithis

If you have an order history of 3 months or over and have already had an order delivered to the CC address, we will be able to change the delivery address for you even when using switch.

Please PM me your real name and Post code and I will look into your account history

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 17-08-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    There is this one thing i find quite frustrating whilst searching the Scan website , which i must admit is really good but with searching new items its so difficult.

They should have this area on the website where you can find these things like today only section but it would be JUST IN , also you could find a guy named justin and make it catchy like justin's Just in.

I have bought everything the week it came out or as soon as scan starts stocking them in and i would like it if they were in a section like this, i know i am asking for a lot but it does make it more easier and people can look at what has come in new and even give the product a go.

Anyway i am sorry if you feel i am asking for a lot.

Any one who reads this take care and thankyou.

Thanks
    nope, that's been raised with Scan before and is still a worthwhile suggestion.

There's a reason many other websites do highlight new items, particularly in the computer sector - it sells! The Scan site isn't the most user friendly site and there's several suggestions in different threads that have been made to them. Lets hope they take this and others onboard before too long.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry
    nope, that's been raised with Scan before and is still a worthwhile suggestion.

There's a reason many other websites do highlight new items, particularly in the computer sector - it sells! The Scan site isn't the most user friendly site and there's several suggestions in different threads that have been made to them. Lets hope they take this and others onboard before too long.
    Thanks man , i am happy that you think its a good suggestion. I have many times bought things and then gone home and see that i could have got this just for £3 extra and would give 30% more differnce in performance.

If a code was writeen for entries which were similar and the same page , and also something like sainsbury and tesco., where they would give how much 100g works out on a product.For the computer components you could do bang for buck.

That would be cool

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by nope
    If a code was writeen for entries which were similar and the same page , and also something like sainsbury and tesco., where they would give how much 100g works out on a product.For the computer components you could do bang for buck.
    I think for most things that would be to subjective, but for storage (Hard drives, Memory and Flash) Pence per Gigabyte would be a very usefull mesure.

Can we have a Cost per Gigabyte entry on the technical specification page for such items, or perhaps have it as an extra collum in the product list pages. It would save me a bit of calculation when trying to work out (for example) if a segate 320Gb drive is better value than a Hitachi 300Gb model.

Thanks
    ill second that idea, as it would let people know realistically just how expensive scsi drives are

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    That could be the start of a slippery slope though - how about ghz per £, or ghz per watt? Or we could have some kind of measure of performance per £, or RPM per £ etc.

I think something like hard drive capacity per £ is very easy for the customer to work out - I would rather have information up that I can't see from a quick glance

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis
    As good a company as Scan is and as much as I like the free delivery, this is the main reason I have started using Tekheads.co.uk instead (other reason is that you cannot use switch when deliverying to your works address, only credit cards)

They allocate your items at order time and they stay allocated to you.
    Chris

Is this not something Scan can do - allocate items when the order is placed rather than when despatching? Would solve alot of headaches and stress for some of us.

I also find when placing smaller orders they are despatched quicker than ones with more items.

Thanks.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    That could be the start of a slippery slope though - how about ghz per £, or ghz per watt? Or we could have some kind of measure of performance per £, or RPM per £ etc.
    That is why I said that for most things it would be to subjective, but for storage it is not. With storage space there is usually the option to buy two or smaller capacity devices instead of one large one. For example, the latest 750Gb hard drives cost more per gigabyte than smaller sizes, so most people who need to store that much data would chose several smaller discs, unless there are other limiting factors.

The same arguments don't apply as well to other thing. You can't normally buy two cheap CPUs or graphics cards to get the same total performance as one expensive one unless you also by a more expensive motherboard, and even if you do other factors mean that you can't just add performance numbers to get an idea of total performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    I think something like hard drive capacity per £ is very easy for the customer to work out - I would rather have information up that I can't see from a quick glance
    With memory and flash cards there are only a small number of sizes available that go up by doubling, so it is easy to judge which sizes are best value, and to estimate the relative cost of faster media. But with hard drives there is a big range of capacities meaning that actual calculations need to be done instead of mental estimates. When I am confronted with a list of 50 different hard drives, I would prefer not to have to cut and paste the list into a spreadsheet to work out the numbers.

It would also be helpful to get an idea of the cost per GB of different media types, for example, if I am running low on hard drive space, would it be more cost effective to copy some of my digital media collection to DVDs-R, or to buy a second hard drive?
    Last edited by chrestomanci; 18-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    when i see a list of 50 hard drives, i just look for the ones that say spinpoint

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    when i see a list of 50 hard drives, i just look for the ones that say spinpoint
    I wasn't too impressed with the SpinPoint 80GB SATA II I bought from Scan. I couldn't believe how loud it was. It wasn't quiet to SPCR standards IMO.

Thread Information