• timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

Vista OEM license - non-peripheral hardware requirements

It seems clear that MS have restricted somewhat the list of qualifying hardware that must be bought at the same time, to purchase an OEM Windows Vista license.

On the Scan Vista OEM description pages it says this must be 'a nonperipheral computer hardware component' and then later 'A “nonperipheral computer hardware component” means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system on which the individual software license will be installed.'

On the Today Only page, you suggest that a DVD-ROM drive is one such qualifying component.

Can you, in the item description for Vista OEM licenses or elsewhere, publish a FULL, clear list of qualifying components? e.g. Processor, Motherboard, Hard drive, PSU, Case, DVD-ROM drive?

I think this would help people understand exactly what needs to be purchased to qualify for an OEM license. IMHO it's still a little unclear ATM.

Thanks
    The DVD Writer on the offer is not the minimum requirement for purchase.. its for people who do not have a DVD Rom with their system.

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    OK, I see - in that case the statement 'Windows Vista requires a DVD ROM as a minimum requirement.' is rather misleading!

What you mean is that you require a DVD-ROM drive as a minimum <because Windows Vista is distributed on DVD-ROM>. Not because you need a DVD-ROM drive as a minimum cheapest piece of hardware to qualify for an OEM purchase.

I still think it could be clearer!

Splash
    I think the statement is perfectly clear, in much the same way that a CDROM is part of the minimum requirement for Windows XP

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    Yeah, I guess I can see where you're both coming from. Fair enough - it is listed in the requirements list in the product description.

That doesn't answer my original question, which perhaps I could phrase more clearly - what qualifying hardware do you need to purchase with an OEM Vista license?

Splash
    From here

A “fully assembled computer system” means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
    A “nonperipheral computer hardware component” means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system on which the individual software license will be installed.

Essentially a piece of hardware that will be part of the fully built computer, that will be inside the case is my interpretation (anything else can be deemed peripheral)

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    m8 thanks, but I quoted that in my OP. Assuming we're not buying a fully assembled PC from Scan, we still need to know what constitutes 'non-peripheral components'.

For instance - does a SATA cable qualify as a non-peripheral hardware item, just because it's inside the case?

Or are we talking CORE hardware components from a qualifying list. In which case Scan, please publish the full list!

Thanks
    The information is already online:-

A “fully assembled computer system” means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
    Each one of the above products can be bought individually and be classed as qualifying hardware.

Hops this helps

Regards

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    Thanks Chris for the clarification, and sorry if everyone thinks I'm being pedantic here.

My point is - the OEM license description is very clearly phrased as EITHER a) fully assembled system, OR b) non-peripheral hardware component.

The description then lists some <EXAMPLES> of what hardware components constitute a fully assembled system, i.e. a)

Nowhere is b) listed except by assuming that you mean 'pick ONE of the components already mentioned in a)'.

All I'm saying is, if b) means one of the following and nothing else: CPU/Motherboard/PSU/Case, then just state this clearly on the description, since Scan do seem to have a list of what components are allowed for OEM. Particularly since this doesn't include CDRW or DVDRW drives, which most people would think is a core hardware component.

Thanks
    Unless I'm mistaken, the full information is provided on the info button for every item?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Tim,

I understand exactly were you are coming from the statement "means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system" is very open.

Simply put there is no specific list from Microsoft, but generally integral would be:

Motherboard
    CPU
    Memory
    Hard Drive (Yes i know, but you could'nt install Windows without one now could you !!!!!)
    Graphics Card
    PSU

DVD drive is not really integral, you don't actually need one to work a computer, but without any of the above then the PC is useless.......

For instance - does a SATA cable qualify as a non-peripheral hardware item, just because it's inside the case? No, A SATA cable is not HARDWARE........
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 29-01-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia
    Edit: thanks for clarifying wesley. That's what I was looking for, and particularly I thought RAM qualified as a core hardware component.
    Last edited by timread; 29-01-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: sorry, posted before I saw reply from wesley

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i'm not sure its that strict. you can buy the oem copy from places that sell pretty much only software. one such shop also sells lots of books, cds.. quite a bit retailer..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    What is the difference between Vista Ultimate 32bit OEM version and the retail version.

I know with OEM all you probably get is just the cd and license where retail you get all the fancy packaging and manuals as well as the high price.

Is that the only difference?

Another question I have is about the activation on the ultimate edition.

Is it true that everytime you take a bit of hardware out and change it that you gotta reactivate each time and you only have a maximum of activating upto 10 times?

Thanks

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    The main difference between OEM and retail is that the retail version can be transferred machine to machine, though it'll probably require reactivation each time and clearly each licence is only valid on one machine at a time. The OEM version, however, is locked to the original "machine". Where it starts to get nasty is in considering what a new "machine" may be. Suppose you replace motherboard and CPU? Is that a new machine? Can you reactivate?

The other real difference is that with the retail package you can get support from MS (in theory at least), whereas with the OEM version, you'll have to get it from the PC 'manufacturer' you got the OEM licence from.

Of course, there are differences in terms of packaging and package content, and there are also legal differences in what the licence allows you to do or not do (such as run in a virtual machine environment), but the moving from machine to machine is the biggest real-world gotcha. It's effect is that with the OEM, you are buying a licence to use Vista for the life of that machine, whereas with the retail version, you can upgrade to your heart's content.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Saracen - Quote "The other real difference is that with the retail package you can get support from MS (in theory at least), whereas with the OEM version, you'll have to get it from the PC 'manufacturer' you got the OEM licence from."

Can i just clarify if you buy the software to install on a system you have built, then you are the system builder and you have to support the software, not the place of purchase. Whereas Microsoft will support any issues with a retail version of the software.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information