Thread: News - Microsoft's iMovie alternative arrives in the form of Windows Live Movie Maker

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft's iMovie alternative arrives in the form of Windows Live Movie Maker

The first Windows Live app designed and optimised for Windows 7.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Faiakes's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3000 C15 - 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 860W
      • Case:
      • HSPC Tech Station
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 - Fast Insider
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 32"

Re: News - Microsoft's iMovie alternative arrives in the form of Windows Live Movie M

Is there a link of the full list of codecs and containers supported?
    Microsoft is poor in supporting open source and xvid, mkv support is just too important

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft's iMovie alternative arrives in the form of Windows Live Movie M

as long as the codec is installed it should work?

MS have this attitude that everyone should just use their wmv/wma (the latter i hate to admit it but is good, i still use flac on a principle of device fidelity, which is just stupid..... </diversion rant>)

But MS since the dawn of their multimedia layer have been very good at making it easy to plug in any codec you want, Windows Movie Maker could always save to anything you had a dec for. Thou i doubt they will budle it (and with good reason, un-surprisingly i've found WMV more stable than the others).

A better question is what happens if you've got a loverly graphics card, will it be leveraged at all? Will we have to wait for the new directx!

We could actually have an intresting debate about where codecs should live, should they be user mode? How abstracted should they be, how do you handle hardware acceleration?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Faiakes's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3000 C15 - 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 860W
      • Case:
      • HSPC Tech Station
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 - Fast Insider
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 32"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    as long as the codec is installed it should work?

MS have this attitude that everyone should just use their wmv/wma (the latter i hate to admit it but is good, i still use flac on a principle of device fidelity, which is just stupid..... </diversion rant>)

But MS since the dawn of their multimedia layer have been very good at making it easy to plug in any codec you want, Windows Movie Maker could always save to anything you had a dec for. Thou i doubt they will budle it (and with good reason, un-surprisingly i've found WMV more stable than the others).

A better question is what happens if you've got a loverly graphics card, will it be leveraged at all? Will we have to wait for the new directx!

We could actually have an intresting debate about where codecs should live, should they be user mode? How abstracted should they be, how do you handle hardware acceleration?
    Well, I use both the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (with Media Player Classic HC) and Avidemux 2.

Hence, the codecs are in the system but my video editor uses its own. Avidemux2 is the only video editor I have found which can handle (H.264) mkvs.

When I do upgrade to Win7 I might give it a try and let people know if the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack allows Windows Live Movie Maker to become useful (unless someone wants to try it now and let us know )

Thread Information