Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who else is going for the iPhone 4 tomorrow?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Who else is going for the iPhone 4 tomorrow?

I realise this is a potentially suicidal question due to the anti-apple feeling on hexus..but..

Who else is going to be collecting their iPhone 4 tomorrow? I've got one reserved at the Trafford Center and will be there for 8am (figure queues won't be so bad for people who reserved, right?). I've heard various people saying they plan to get there to camp outside the center all night but they didn't reserve so that is their only choice really.

Any other hexites going to be @ the traff store?

Thanks

Re: Who else is going for the iPhone 4 tomorrow?

I'm undecided, certainly won't be camping out though!

A bloke at work is getting on in the morning & coming in afterwards so I'll get to play with one then, if it's nice I might go for one on Voda as I've found out I can get 20% off line rental through work.
    I still struggle to justify the cost though, can get a Desire for £25/month & an iPhone would be at least £35 + handset cost

I do like my gadgets though….

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I'm undecided, certainly won't be camping out though!

A bloke at work is getting on in the morning & coming in afterwards so I'll get to play with one then, if it's nice I might go for one on Voda as I've found out I can get 20% off line rental through work.
    I still struggle to justify the cost though, can get a Desire for £25/month & an iPhone would be at least £35 + handset cost

I do like my gadgets though….
    This.
    I'd love one but can't justify that price tag.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Just worked it out...

18month contract, 300min, unlim txt, 1GB data, Wifi with openzone,

£169 for phone
    £28/month
    = £673 / 18 = £37.40/month average...hmmmm

The Desire (on Voda) is only free on the same tariff or above so the iPhone is only £169 more expensive overall, I reckon that's gotta be worth it?
    Last edited by Rob_B; 23-06-2010 at 10:04 AM.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

It is a mental amount of money compared to the desire, that's what I was looking at yesterday.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It's also not fair to compare it to the desire though - different phones with different purposes, capabilities and target markets

I don't think it's *that* overpriced really, and if you sell your old phone to cover the handset cost, your only real disadvantage is the higher monthlies..but anyway, don't really want to turn this thread into an "Iphone 4 Vs any other smartphone" thread, its about who is going to a store to get one tomorrow..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    It's also not fair to compare it to the desire though - different phones with different purposes, capabilities and target markets
    I disagree, I think they're very comparable and aimed at mostly the same market.

I don't think it's *that* overpriced really, and if you sell your old phone to cover the handset cost, your only real disadvantage is the higher monthlies..but anyway, don't really want to turn this thread into an "Iphone 4 Vs any other smartphone" thread, its about who is going to a store to get one tomorrow..
    I was thinking that, then I realised I could sell my old phone if I bought anything else so they would then be even cheaper (difference being the same of course)

I do hope this doesn't turn into another iPhone slagging thread as I'm fed up of those, you must expect comparisons with other phones though & as I mentioned it's only £169 dearer than the Desire (for Voda anyway) so yeah, it's not that much more expensive & will probably retain its value for resale much better than any other phone

Thanks
    • Recoil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6TD Deluxe V2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR 3 1866
      • Storage:
      • 1x 150GB WD Raptor and 1.5TB WD Sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 285GTX FTW 1GB
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone DA650w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC 7FW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 24" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 20Mb Cable FTW!

I'll be getting one - I have one reserved in Solihull - so ill pop in and grab it - might try my luck in Coventry first - Orange are open @ 7 - and CPW @ 8.

Will save me about 60 miles in fuel )

A friend of mine says Tesco's near me are coming into stock - and that their contracts are only 12mth! CPW are in trouble with very limited handsets - They ordred 60,000 and ended up with about 2000 to 4000 units - theres defo a real shortage!!!

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

I wouldn't sell my soul to Apple personally, Android is the future!

Give me 5 reasons why the iPhone 4 is better than the Desire and you might impress me

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

ok i'll bite.

For me personally, I can give you at least 5..although it really is a very subjective thing as with any modern smartphone. I also don't have the phone yet..so while i've tried out a desire, any comments on IP 4 are based on reviews/info/previous models.

1) The screen - assuming everyone whos used one isn't making it up, it's simply the best screen on a mobile device yet. Surely even the most die hard anti-apple person cannot disagree with this one.
    2) Noise cancelling microphone - desire doesn't have this and it makes a big difference (or at least has on any other phone i've owned with one).
    3) Desire runs android, and doesn't have the app store. This is the most subjective point, but I dislike android, and it's *too* open..contrary to most people I like apples restrictive policies, it does lead to a much more stable device, which is what I am after. If I can download an app I want to be sure it won't crash, won't be malicious and won't cause me problems. Quite apart from any subjective thoughts on android, the iPhone simply has so many more applications available right *now*. Who knows in a year or two but at the moment..there are not enough droid applications.
    4) Battery life. Desire reportedly lasts a day, perhaps 2 at maximum..independent reviews of iPhone 4 give it up to 4 days with average use, 3G enabled.
    5) Design. It is ugly compared to iPhone 4. It doesn't look that bad on its own, but compared to the iPhone 4? No contest. It's thicker than the iPhone 4 too, although they are comparable on weight.

Of course you could come back and say the desire is better because of its memory card support, bluetooth "beaming" support, counter the android criticism because you like android, you may want flash (I personally am very glad its not on the iphone, and hope it never is!), mention the FM radio and probably a bunch of other things, but as far as I am concerned there is no contest. I prefer the iPhone 4 to the desire, and to be honest I don't expect you to change your mind (or care that much really ) Different phones for different people.

I do wish that Microsoft had not decided to kill of windows mobile (if only they had kept the same OS but worked with HTC to provide a nice, sense based UI, and an app store like apples) but c'est la vie, it's happened. If you like droid phones then thats great, enjoy them..i'll enjoy my new iphone 4 tomorrow, as will many others

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

1) The screen - assuming everyone whos used one isn't making it up, it's simply the best screen on a mobile device yet. Surely even the most die hard anti-apple person cannot disagree with this one.
    The screen is one thing which looks rather nice, and I shall concede that, However do you honestly think that the resolution is usable? It can't imagine anyone wanting to view full web pages or anything like that on a screen that is only 3.5". The resolution of the Desire, Nexus One, etc. is from what I have experienced, more than good enough, and the AMOLED screen of the Desire uses less battery life.

2) Noise cancelling microphone - desire doesn't have this and it makes a big difference (or at least has on any other phone i've owned with one).
    I have read more comments so far saying the noise cancelling doesn't work than those that do. The Nexus One has noise cancelling and a lot of people turn it off because it creates a weird background noise. I am happy that the Desire call quality is fantastic, and Orange are testing HD voice in Bristol at the moment, which is supported by Android and which will be far better call quality than ANY noise cancelling can achieve.

3) Desire runs android, and doesn't have the app store. This is the most subjective point, but I dislike android, and it's *too* open..contrary to most people I like apples restrictive policies, it does lead to a much more stable device, which is what I am after. If I can download an app I want to be sure it won't crash, won't be malicious and won't cause me problems. Quite apart from any subjective thoughts on android, the iPhone simply has so many more applications available right *now*. Who knows in a year or two but at the moment..there are not enough droid applications.
    It doesn't have the app store? Are you serious? Android has it's own Android market, that is maturing at a fantastic pace. Most worthwhile apps coming from Apple's App Store have or will be converted to Android. Yes, there are more games on Apple's store, but honestly I play proper games on a proper games console, There are enough games to keep me entertained in the infrequent moments that I do make use of this capability. I have NEVER seen any malicious apps on Android, this is a load of rubbish spread by Apple sympathisers. I have only ever experienced a couple of crashes, and that was with my HTC Hero and TaskKiller issues. And how can you comment that there aren't enough Android applications? I'd love to know what you haven't been able to find on the Market....

4) Battery life. Desire reportedly lasts a day, perhaps 2 at maximum..independent reviews of iPhone 4 give it up to 4 days with average use, 3G enabled.
    Again, I'll believe it when I see it, The 3G and 3GS both quoted much longer battery life than either managed to achieve. I can't see 4 days being realistic with playing games or videos. I am now quite happily getting 2 days out of my Desire and I think this is plenty to expect from a smartphone that I am actually making full use of.
    5) Design. It is ugly compared to iPhone 4. It doesn't look that bad on its own, but compared to the iPhone 4? No contest. It's thicker than the iPhone 4 too, although they are comparable on weight.
    Design is all subjective, personally I prefer the more under-stated design as I am not so shallow as to want Style over Function, and baring in mind most people will hide away their phone in a protective case, is this really a "win"? I don't think so, it's like saying an Aston Martin is better cus it's prettier than a Ferrari, Some people will agree, some people will think you are absolutely insane.

If you prefer being locked down by Apple and you actually buy the argument that the closed nature of it leads to a more stable platform then you've been swallowing some very clever, but false, marketing clap-trap!

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks

Tesco tariffs are out.

£20/m 12month contract, 250min, unlim txt, 1GB data, wifi -- 16GB is £349

Works out at £589 for 1yr including 1000 clubcard points when purchsed + triple points on your bill spend. Considering sim-free is £499 that's a cracking deal!

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

it's all subjective

The battery life claims above are real world - apple claim longer than that as official specs.

Having one single platform to develop for, and having restrictions on the APIs available as well as limitations on hardware access *does* make for a potentially more robust and stable platform.

This is one of the big arguments that console developers in particular have been making against the PC for years and years now, and the evidence is there if you look back. I'm not for a second suggesting that android is worse than iOS etc, its down to personal preference and opinion..but it's not just marketing drivel, it's a fact. I have wished so many times that I knew exactly what hardware and base software configurations that users of my software would have..my life would be *so* much easier. I am sure that the android store will mature nicely but it's not there yet, and I am comparing the here and now, not what may/may not happen.

oh and take a look at this ref AOLED screens..great unless you are in sunlight.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/s...unlight-fight/

Thanks

it's all subjective
    +1 People seem to forget that when talking about iPhones. Desire screen saves power? Yes but it still has a similar/same battery life overall so does it matter?

I was almost set on a Desire, then I saw re the screen under sunlight & Tesco announced their tariffs

Thanks

1) The screen - assuming everyone who’s used one isn't making it up, it's simply the best screen on a mobile device yet. Surely even the most die hard anti-apple person cannot disagree with this one.
    No doubt the screen is nice, but it isn’t as awesome as Apple likes to make out. And Samsung’s SuperOLED (or whatever they are calling it now) is pretty awesome too.

Agreed, the Desire is lacking here. But then again the Google Nexus One has one, so again. Nothing special.

Waaahhhh? Doesn’t have an app store? Are you serious?! It does have an app store, and it is full to the brim with useful applications with talented developers. Where as I guess the Apple App Store is full of junk or a good chunk of it.

4) Battery life. Desire reportedly lasts a day, perhaps 2 at maximum. Independent reviews of iPhone 4 give it up to 4 days with average use, 3G enabled.
    Big battery and a under clocked CPU will do that you know.

Yes it does look nicer, but looks aren’t everything.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It doesn't have *the* app store..it has its own android version but it's not the same, its a different store..

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information