Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best free Linux email server

Jay
    Thanks

Re: Best free Linux email server

We have a single POP3 catchall account eg catchall@mydomain.com, I used to just used EFS mail to grab it from the server and EMWAC to distribute it via SMTPD but I found it to be slow and could not be run on Linux. This is all to do with cost really, if we had the cash I would just get exchange and be done with it.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Verily, Ikonia speaketh the truth (as usual )

His listing of distros is a fair one for the application you have in mind, and given the relative complexity of compiling a latest patched copy of qmail, (which I overtlooked) sendmail and postfix are probably your best options. Sendmail is a standard, and ships with most distros, but some consider postfix to be a more flexible alternative.

If you are planning to install this in an enterprise environment, I would advise you to take a trip down to a large branch of Waterstones or a technical bookshop and have a browse through some of the many textbooks on the subject. Have a look on Amazon first to try and narrow your selection - there are many to choose from, both sendmail and postfix.

Installing the application is one thin g - getting it to run correctly - and securely is another - the last thing you want to do is leave an open relay running!

I have played with sendmail and got it to do what I wanted after a while (not actually running a mail server as such - for my simple needs it is too much hassle) but in an enterprise environment (that I assume you intend running it in) you need it to work correctly from the start!

What is it you actually want to do? Is it download several users' mail from your ISP's mailbox and then use the server to distribute it locally? If that is the case, you might find it easier just to buy more pop3 mailboxes from your ISP one for each user, although the server route is more flexible and gives you more control. If it is an IMAP facility you want to provide, then you will have to go the own server route.

(Sorry - you answered the last part while I was composing my post)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

ok, now I see what your doing.

You hosted pop server just gets everything. You want this box to download everything then logcially split it out.

Very do-able. something along the lines of "fetchmail" will grab the mail for you and intergrated with postfix for example will work well as a pop3 service for your userbase.

One thing to consdier is how are you planning to send mail. Do you expect this new server your setting up to be an smtp relay for you ?

Are you hosting this on a broad band or cable connection ?
    It is Inevitable.....

Jay
    Thanks

I will send mail by allowing them to connect to the catchall pop3 directly, this will send "as the user" in essence when joebloggs connects to the pop3 it will log on as catchall@mydomain but the recipient will get a mail from joebloggs@mydomain.com (this is how it used to work with outlook anyway)

It will be on a 512K / 384K line that will soon be upgraded to 20mb/784k.

Thanks

that sounds like a good way of sending mail.

Is the line a DSL/Cable line ?
    It is Inevitable.....

Jay
    Thanks

dsl at the moment but will be cable in the next few months

Jay
    Thanks

so if I use ubuntu and fetchmail this will do the basic job for me?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Verily, Ikonia speaketh the truth (as usual )

His listing of distros is a fair one for the application you have in mind, and given the relative complexity of compiling a latest patched copy of qmail, (which I overtlooked) sendmail and postfix are probably your best options. Sendmail is a standard, and ships with most distros, but some consider postfix to be a more flexible alternative.

If you are planning to install this in an enterprise environment, I would advise you to take a trip down to a large branch of Waterstones or a technical bookshop and have a browse through some of the many textbooks on the subject. Have a look on Amazon first to try and narrow your selection - there are many to choose from, both sendmail and postfix.

Installing the application is one thin g - getting it to run correctly - and securely is another - the last thing you want to do is leave an open relay running!

I have played with sendmail and got it to do what I wanted after a while (not actually running a mail server as such - for my simple needs it is too much hassle) but in an enterprise environment (that I assume you intend running it in) you need it to work correctly from the start!

What is it you actually want to do? Is it download several users' mail from your ISP's mailbox and then use the server to distribute it locally? If that is the case, you might find it easier just to buy more pop3 mailboxes from your ISP one for each user, although the server route is more flexible and gives you more control. If it is an IMAP facility you want to provide, then you will have to go the own server route.

(Sorry - you answered the last part while I was composing my post)
    RHEL (and white box equivalents) ship sendmail by default. nobody likes it because it's an absolute pig to configure, but it's antique (read: "enterprise") so probably a good pick for RHEL. Fedora uses sendmail by default too. And so do the SUSEs.

Ubuntu ships with Postfix.

Debian ships with Exim4.

In all cases, switching between sendmail, exim and postfix is pretty trivial.

My expertise is with Exim4 (I object to things like Sendmail where you need to compile your config files), but general consensus is Postfix is the newest & "friendliest" of the bunch

Thanks

Ubuntu and fetchmail will get you your mail, then as directhex says, ubuntu ships with postfix which you could use to re-distribute into pop3 mail boxes for your clients.

You won't be needing the latest and greatest versions, so I suggest you use the ubuntu 6.06 LTS server release for valid support/updates/security.

dsl at the moment but will be cable in the next few months
    One thing to consider now before you impliment (I'm sure you have an answer for this as you where doing it before) is the remote pop3/smtp service, how do clients send mail to them. As your on a DSL/cable line your ip may a.) be blacklisted as most DSL/Cable IP's are, my mail relay services b.) dynamic
    With this in mind you need to consider something along the lines of a remote authentication system, over IP based rules for the remote relay or it could be classed as an open relay, in which case WILL be blacklisted and limit the sending of mails out.

My advice on this is
    1.) Check the IP address of the remote service with a few blacklist URLS, SORBS is one of the main ones used on the internet and can be a good bass line
    2.) check you own IP (if its dynamic you'll probably be blacklisted by default)
    3.) Speak to your hosted mail service to make sure they are maintaining this mail service do you don't get blacklisted (eg: auth before smtp relay)

A possible solution is to use your ISP's relay rather than the remote pop3 as your smtp relay. That way your clients are on the same network as the relay and the dhcp addressing won't be a problem for your own isp.
    It is Inevitable.....

10. Received thanks from:

Jay (14-08-2007)

Jay
    Thanks

ok, will do. Will post back once I have it up and running.

thanks.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post

My expertise is with Exim4 (I object to things like Sendmail where you need to compile your config files), but general consensus is Postfix is the newest & "friendliest" of the bunch
    You can do minor tweaks to the sendmail config file by hand, but as you say major changes are a pig. BTW - Fedora also ships with postfix, although the deefault is sendmail it is easy to change that to postfix.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Postfix is fairly easy to set up, performs well, and is fairly secure. I notice people mentioned Q-Mail, but that thing is a bitch to set up and configure, definitely not for the faint hearted.. Sendmail, well that thing should hurry up and die already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks

FreeBSD/MailScanner/Sendmail/Qpopper/SquirrelMail

PoDd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information