• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Win 2000 Serious Flaw - OS vulnerable to attack

http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...s/2005/8/4/876

Even though 2000 is now near the end of its lifecycle and in the "extended support" phase many businesses and users prefer 2000 over XP. I wonder how many machines out there are using 2000 as this is a bit of a big flaw that can comprimise *any* system and as yet theres no patch out for this "vulnerability"

eeye security are keeping as much as they can under wraps to safeguard safety.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    security through obscurity, well THAT's gonna work

otherwise known as the "la la la la i can't hear you" approach to security

Thanks
    Untill this is fixed, I will be sitting in the corner over here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Untill this is fixed, I will be sitting in the corner over here
    Hehe - I do almost everything in Debian now i.e. most things that aren't games, so even if Windows 2000 goes kaput, I'll be able to post here! I've just been playing with Unison, which allows you to synchronise your files between computers. It works very well!
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Glad we've phased all of our 2k workstations out now. After the amount of time it took us to clean the last lot of 2k specific viruses out, most people realised XP was safer (just)

No linux is not a viable option for a corp environment workstation, no matter what people tell me.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    *sigh* @ OOBSers
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic
    Glad we've phased all of our 2k workstations out now. After the amount of time it took us to clean the last lot of 2k specific viruses out, most people realised XP was safer (just)

No linux is not a viable option for a corp environment workstation, no matter what people tell me.

And how is xp safer than 2k??!?!?!!!???

Thanks
    And how is xp safer than 2k??!?!?!!!???
    The example I was talking about was when a virus hit all our 2k machines, and none of the XP ones. Everyone who was on 2k had no network access (security precaution) until we got round and removed the virus, everyone on XP was fine. The staff realised that XP didn't get hit and that they got inconvenienced because of their older OS, and so we upgraded them all then.

XP is still being supported by MS, and has more regular updates. Not to mention software compatability. 2k is currently in extended support, and so will be phased out way before XP will.

Also having all your machines running the same OS makes building a GP for deployment much easier!

Remember I am talking about a corp environment here, which is a LOT different to how you use your computer at home.
    Last edited by Atomic; 09-08-2005 at 10:44 AM.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Win2k server > xp any day especially in a server room environment. Server environments are likely to be locked away from internal and external users with firewalls and ACL's.

Very few viruses can breach well run security. Linux is a viable alternative especially for web servers. But i'll agree with you that some things, like my telephone systems are much more suited to Windows, especially with the things like exchange integration we do.

Xp is for desktops, Win2k/2k3 for servers.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Thanks
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home
    Windows 2000 is my fave OS

I will continue using it, if it was realised by hackers, M$ would be doing something about and trying to fix it.

I have had very little trouble with this OS, and is much nicer, and cleaner than XP

Will the download updates still be available for download even afte M$ stop their support? Or is it possible to get a CD with all the latest updates on to update the PC as soon as i install it? So far i have the SP4 disk, thats all

Ian
    Mac fancier > white macbook base spec .................. CS: muddyfirebang

Thanks
    The staff realised that XP didn't get hit and that they got inconvenienced because of their older OS, and so we upgraded them all then.

If that was the case then it shows the 2k installs were not setup properly.

The users do not need to realise anything, wheres the IT staff?

Quote Originally Posted by muddyfox470
    Windows 2000 is my fave OS

I will continue using it, if it was realised by hackers, M$ would be doing something about and trying to fix it.

I have had very little trouble with this OS, and is much nicer, and cleaner than XP

Will the download updates still be available for download even afte M$ stop their support? Or is it possible to get a CD with all the latest updates on to update the PC as soon as i install it? So far i have the SP4 disk, thats all

Ian

Its in extended support. Updates will be available from windows update site for another 5? years. They are still fixing security problems as slowley as they always have.

The differences between the os's are very small, 2k just has less stuff you will never use..
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 09-08-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    Xp is for desktops, Win2k/2k3 for servers.
    2k workstation on the other hand is the devil.

If that was the case then it shows the 2k installs were not setup properly.
    They were setup fine, if MS chooses not to patch a vunrability quick enough and there are no virus definitions available then there is nothing we can do about it.

We get hit by the major viruses within a few hrs of them being released, it is one of the problems with working in such a diverse field such as university research because we cannot lock PCs down due to the nature of the work they are doing. (and the fact that we have a thousands of virus-ridden students laptops on the network too, prob main reason we get hit badly by virus outbreaks)

The users do not need to realise anything, wheres the IT staff?
    In a perfect world I would have full control over all the users PCs, unfortunatly it is not. Like I said due to the nature of the work we do it would be impossible for me to learn exactly what every single program we use does and how it works to be able to build a workable restricted policy.

One other problem is I do not have a full say on what goes on with a users (faulty/researchers/postgrads) PCs because they are owned by the people funding the research. I can advise them on what they should do, but if they are set in their ways I have to manage the best I can.

You don't realise what its like until you've worked in a pressured IT environment. Things dont happen like they do on your home PC!!!!!
    Last edited by Atomic; 09-08-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    the plight of a network admin

I hear ya. Nothing more irritating than hard headed users. It's even worse when you've no option but to accomdate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    2k workstation on the other hand is the devil.

They were setup fine, if MS chooses not to patch a vunrability quick enough and there are no virus definitions available then there is nothing we can do about it.

We get hit by the major viruses within a few hrs of them being released, it is one of the problems with working in such a diverse field such as university research because we cannot lock PCs down due to the nature of the work they are doing. (and the fact that we have a thousands of virus-ridden students laptops on the network too, prob main reason we get hit badly by virus outbreaks)

In a perfect world I would have full control over all the users PCs, unfortunatly it is not. Like I said due to the nature of the work we do it would be impossible for me to learn exactly what every single program we use does and how it works to be able to build a workable restricted policy.

One other problem is I do not have a full say on what goes on with a users (faulty/researchers/postgrads) PCs because they are owned by the people funding the research. I can advise them on what they should do, but if they are set in their ways I have to manage the best I can.

You don't realise what its like until you've worked in a pressured IT environment. Things dont happen like they do on your home PC!!!!!
    Ive never worked in IT, but Ive worked with staff in what was for them a pressured environment...

What about the unpatched bugs - there are plenty in both..

University/reseach as you describe is not what i would call a corp environment... more like large-networked-home environment if the user has complete control of the security applyed to their pc's.
    Unless the users know how to prevent viruses in this sort of environment (preferably without the aid of AV) then theres nothing you can do....

Thanks
    Since SP2 and Viruscan v8 have been deployed on our XP machines, we've had almost no problems. 2k still gets infected.

University/reseach as you describe is not what i would call a corp environment... more like large-networked-home environment if the user has complete control of the security applyed to their pc's.
    Trust me its nothing like a home environment! It is corp IT, even though we are mostly education a large proportion of our research is funded by big companies.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    University is a completely different environment to corp IT tho, I've seen and been involved in helping work against different virus outbreaks to know that different companies take different approaches.

University projects never usually need to maintain 24/7 low uptime stats which have to be met by contracts, and if so the number of machines in that state will be low compared to the corp environments i'm used to. Certainly i doubt they have the penalty clauses.

Most of the patching of systems I get involved in has to be done out of hours, most of the patches need to be checked out before being patched for fear of the patch breaking something.

Fixed Uni machines are fine i take it, easy to control. User machines should be subject to AUP?, i had to sign one at Kent Uni, part of my agreement to be allowed on campus network. (think they had to have that for SuperJanet licence too)

I'm suprised that you complain about viruses tho?, as that surely is more to do with the virus scanner than the OS.

I think you have a pretty special case there tho Atomic. The diversity is that problem.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information