Thread: Running + Protein Milkshakes?

Thanks

Running + Protein Milkshakes?

I don't suppose anyone knows of a decent online retailer that does protein shakes? Well, just the mixture I mean. Unless someone is aware of any decent places in central Reading? I haven't seen anywhere where I can get any.

Also, is it best to take it in the morning as a breakfast replacement? I generally do my runs inbetween 4:30pm and 5:30pm every weekday. I just need something in my diet so I can have a decent run on everyday.

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Protein shakes should only be used for post-workout nutrition. They don't offer a balance of macro-nutrients, or enough fibre to be used as a meal replacement.

Of course there are meal replacement shakes out there, but tbh those are really only for those who can't eat solid food/anorexics.

I buy my whey from:

http://www.sports-nutrition.net/

Thanks
    Any recommendations on something I should take to sort out my muscles out again for a run the next day? It's just they can get a really good burning sometimes. I don't have a clue when it comes to this area.

Thanks
    TBH Protein is for weight/muscle gain (ie after doing weights), carbs are what you want for running if I'm not mistaken, I would recommend a small bowl of rolled oats & milk/milk replacement with honey. And nothing is a substitute for a balanced diet & plenty of water.

Thanks
    Creatine is good for improving recovery times, allowing you to train more frequently. Protein is just for bulking up, no good for a runner. And like rack said, carbs to keep the energy up
    E64@3.4GHz@1.38v or 3.72@1.51v;P5BD-Wifi;79GTO@705/800;2GigGeil800U;20"LGwide;180Gig 64kstripe + 140Gig Mirror + 200Gig single
    Under: AlphacoolDDC, 7/16", MCRES, Nexxos XP lite, MCR120 (w/ antec fan@5v {~750rpm})

Thanks
    Ah okay, I'll have more carbs then. I won't bother with creatine, I used to take it anyway for weight training but I don't weight train anymore due to injury.

I have quite a lot of carbs in my diet anyway, a bowl of fruit 'n' fibre for breakfast (not sure what that's like for carbs), a couple of sandwiches and some fruit for lunch and usually something with pasta/rice in it for dinner.

What're vegetables like for carbs?

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)
    these protein shakes, are they safe for a 17 yo to take? safe for diabatics? and am i right in sayign they boost the rate you will get muscles when working out? are they safe?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvdbuk View Post
    these protein shakes, are they safe for a 17 yo to take? safe for diabatics? and am i right in sayign they boost the rate you will get muscles when working out? are they safe?
    I used to have a high protein intake when I was roughly 17/18 when I did weight training. I also was a labourer at the time (it was part-time, I'm very educated!) thus I wanted to build a lot of muscle for my actual job. I also worked with weight lifters of whom were extremely well built.

I can't say it's a bad thing, but it's usually best to wait until you're around 20 so you've completely stopped growing. The best bet is to have a high protein intake from general food. I used to eat a hell of a lot of chicken and egg whites when I did a lot of my training. I'm still not well built, but it's a massive improvement over how tiny my build was before.

Thanks
    bah just eat real food to get you where you are.

all it takes is eating the right foods and drinking the water and stuff and you can do it all.

Thanks
    Well I drink about two liters of water a day, and I really do need it. I can't drink for about an hour before I do a run otherwise I get really bad stitches.

I got some Robinsons orange squash the other day though not realising the stuff (mainly for kids I think) contains Aspartame :/

Thanks
    whats aspartame?

i drink water almost all the time and beer sometimes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    whats aspartame?

i drink water almost all the time and beer sometimes.
    Aspartame is something which causes cancer, and very much so. It's in things like diet coke as a sugar substitute. It's better to have refined sugars and be unhealthy rather than have a sugar substitute and risk cancer.

Thanks
    i go to gnc they normally have a large selection of goods
    http://www.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q...authority&cd=1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    i go to gnc they normally have a large selection of goods
    http://www.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q...authority&cd=1
    You're handy, that's a five minute walk from my house. I have heard of (and used) GNC stuff before. I may take a wonder there and see if they've got anything which may help me out.

Thanks very much

Thanks
    You can get protein shake formulas from any Holland & Barrett store, there are plenty of those around and they have an online service. I don't agree with the comments that protein shakes are just for bulking, because they are not! There are bulking shake formula's designed to add mass and creatine won't help much either tbh as that will just make your body absorb more water. You do need a high carb diet for high cardio sports, but a normal protein shake will provide an extra injection of energy to aid quicker muscle repair...consequently you will ache for a shorter period of time after training.

No Sensei, i'm not kicking the mats to waste time, they have parted and I don't want to injure myself!

Thanks
    Slightly OT I suppose, but how are you running...
    when you say you're running every day, at what sort of pace from day to day. Are you trying to push yourself every day as hard as possible or do you have a weekly program ?

I tried protein shakes, but found I got better results looking at how I was training.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thread Information