Thread: One of the biggest purposes of NCQ

Registered+
    Thanks

One of the biggest purposes of NCQ

Hey guys! How many of you knew that it's possible to connect more than just one drive to any given SATA port?
    Que the
    It's true! And I'm here to tell you how to and why it works. Upon booting, each HDD is given a specific address by the computer. Unlike SCSI devices, these addresses don't need to be manually set.
    "Well then, how do I connect more than one of these buggers into my SATA port and free some ports?" It's easy! Use a SATA port multiplier. By connecting your port multiplier to your board and your 2 or more drives to your multiplier, your port multiplier can intelligently "direct" traffic based on the device indicated by your NCQ tag. And the best part? Your computer will see your drives the same as always and they can be included in your RAID arrays. No more wasted bandwidth on your 3 or 6 GB/s SATA ports and blazing speed.

Thanks

Re: One of the biggest purposes of NCQ

d3m0n1q_733rz, your OP suggests that you have tried Port Multiplication with success.

Is this true?

I'm fairly sure I've decided against using this method, because my reading of various forms suggest that SATA-based PM is too unreliable, there isn't a consistent standard amongst manufacturers, 'hard drives going missing when system is idle', etc.

So I'm sorry: I think I just poisoned my own question.

Anyway, if possible, please share your experience.

EDIT: Also, I just remembered. The hardware to enable PM seems inordinately expensive compared to a RAID card. A 1-to-5 'splitter' seems very expensive. £50 for 4 extra ports => £100 for 8.

If, and this is a fairly big if but... if one has a spare PCIe x4/x8/x16 slot, then surely a RAID card like the HPT 2720sgl would be better value, and possibly more stable.

The AddOn cards also worry me that they have 'Raid Options' - it seems to over complicate the simple task of daisy-chaining a SATA port.
    Last edited by baius; 09-09-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Baius
    Tech: NAS | D2 | L1 | N1 | T2 | U1 | P3

0iD@TWDJT: P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Registered+
    Thanks

I would say that the expense is most likely due to the fact that hardly anyone knows about them. I could go to a computer store like MicroCenter and ask if they have SATA port multipliers and they take me to PCI cards because they don't know what a port multiplier is.
    It comes down to supply and demand. Because nobody knows what they are, few places have made them. But the addon cards don't have RAID options if they're true port multipliers. They should be no different from a USB hub. Real port multipliers don't have PCI connections. Here's an example: http://www.addonics.com/products/ad5sarpm-e.php
    Oh, and here's some specifications: http://www.serialata.org/documents/pm_100_Gold.pdf

Thanks

They mostly solve a problem which doesn't exist though. Rarely do people run out of SATA ports on a modern system and if they do, buying a addon card is cheap and less hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by d3m0n1q_733rz View Post
    As I understand it, the main use of port multipliers like that is so you can have however many SATA drive in an external case and just a single eSATA cable connecting them to the host system. They then appear to the OS in exactly the same way as if they were in the main PC case.

Now, the grown up version of this is to go with SAS multipliers. These can be used with hardware RAID cards and can let you have RAID arrays of perhaps 16, 20 or 24 drives. Or multiple smaller RAID volumes on the same card. These cards are expensive and rare, but they work well in the right situation. Again these are often aimed at having your disk array in a separate enclosure to the host system (perhaps a U1 server and a U4 or U5 disk bank). I thought about getting one to pair with a PERC 6i at one point, but apparently they only work with the PERC 6e because of firmware limitations of the Dell controller.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Agreed on the price aspect.....I really cannot see how they are in any way financially viable for end users. I have looked at them a few times and have each timed scratched my head at their cost.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

For regular consumers, no, they are not the answer. But they do serve a purpose and if you have that particular problem, they seem to solve it fairly well.

Here's another usage case for SATA multipliers, although these days it is a very rare occurrence. It lets you attach a cage full of CD/DVD/BD writers to a single system with a single cable. You could connect 4 or 5 writers to a laptop with a single eSATA cable. In the past you would have used SCSI, but that isn't an option these days, and USB can be a bit flakey and is a bit limited bandwidth wise unless you are using USB3.

Not a common thing to do, but if you need to do it, these things are a reasonable amount of money to solve your problem.

Thread Information