Thread: Issues with Wake On Lan AB9 Pro

Thanks

Issues with Wake On Lan AB9 Pro

I recently got WOL to work on my system, but I'm having an issue with it.

The system successfuly goes to S3 and stays there, and I can send a magic packet to wake it up for a short time. The problem is, after about an hour or so, it appears that either the NIC itself falls asleep or the system just stops listening for the MP.

I'm am using a PCI Ethernet card for this because the adapter has more WOL options, whereas the on board NICS seem to have NONE.

The PCI card has three settings for WOL,

Wake on Ping/Arp (which I had to turn off else the system comes back awake instantly)
    Wake On Link Change (On)
    Wake on APM (On)

And as I said, the board NICS have none of these features.

Can someone tell me why it stops listening after an hour or how I can get more WOL options on the onboards? Thanks!

System: Vista Ult
    BIOS: .18

Thanks
    you could check in Windows to see if it has "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" enabled.
    I think that the onboard just has wake up by onboard LAN1 & wake up by onboard LAN2 options of enabled or disabled.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    I did, but if you uncheck that you lose the option to wake it out of sleep.
    I updated the drivers for the onboards and it gave me a few more options, but now the onboards stop responding after a while as well....

Thanks
    This is more for the Google Spiders, but I resolved this issue for Wake On Lan.

If you are going to use a linksys router and use WOL, after you configure the BIOS and APM of the card, the router is next. Not following these steps will mkae it appear that the NIC is falling asleep after shutdown.

My mistake was I had the port forwarded to a specific private IP. The router would “forget” the link between the IP and the NIC after a set amount of time the system was off, because the ARP table would refresh and automatically clear the entry. This is because there was no OS to remind the router when it queried, since IPs only exist when the OS is active.

I had to use a BROADCAST address for my subnet. But check this out. For a subnet of 255.255.255.0 the BA is 192.168.1.255. Well Linksys routers only allow a forwarding range of 0-254. So I had to use a subnet of 255.255.255.128, which allowed me to forward the port to the BA of 192.168.1.127.

Since the BA now would send the magic packet to ALL ips in the range and only hit the one with the correct MAC, it works as intended.

Thread Information