Thread: Abit IP35 Pro emitting alarm / Siren sounds frequently

Registered+
    Thanks

Abit IP35 Pro emitting alarm / Siren sounds frequently

Hi,

My problem is very similar to a problem reported last December by someone else on Abit.care@hexus, (specifically to the problem entitled "strange alarm or siren sound on abit ip35 pro offlimits").

I was not sure if I should have started a new thread for this or not, however since I may be asking different questions perhaps it was best that I did start a new thread.

The problem:
    Recently after the upgrade of my system, I have started getting a problem which I cannot pinpoint:

Since this upgrade, every time I start-up my old system the machine works well until I start up Norton internet security 2008 or until I start playing any game. As soon as Norton internet security 2008 starts doing a scan, or a game is started, the computer starts sounding an alarm, which rings constantly, non-stop until the Norton internet security is stopped or the game is stopped.

Initially I thought it was my case causing the problem so I initiated a query with my computer case manufacturer's support group (i.e. Silverstone), then I found some links on the internet that suggested that the problem could have been linked to my new Graphic card, so again I started an investigation on that side in parallel, then recently I brought my computer to a friend who knows more than me, and who noticed that my system memory was rather low, due to many resident applications running in the system tray.

Other relevant information regarding the upgrade:
    Recently I bought the two graphics card along with a brand new system that I built myself. To cut a long story short, when I built the new system with the Gefore 9800GT card, I also upgraded the older one with a new Evga graphic card. The new system has no problem, but the older one does:

In my old system I upgraded the following components:
    - Uninstalled the graphics drivers and Nvidia drivers associated with the Gainward Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
    - Upgraded PSU from a Corsair HX520W to a Corsair HX1000W.
    - Downgraded the GPU from a Gainward Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB down to an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SSC Edition,
    - Installed the Evga graphics drivers and Nvidia drivers associated with the EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SSC Edition.

Although this modification may sound odd, it is because I have build the newer PC in a case that cannot accept the better PSU, (hence an Antec P182 case).

Actions taken to resolve the problem:
    1 - I followed all the instructions from the Silverstone case manufacturer's support group and still no luck.
    2 - Evga, the manufacturer of my Graphics card have suggested that they replace my Graphics card Free of Charge as it is still under guaranty and that there is 2 years of guaranty on this card. I have not opted for this option yet as I would like to get to the bottom of the problem and pinpoint what is wrong first, rather than guessing.
    - My video drivers and direct X drivers are set to the latest stable versions
    - I have downloaded and installed the latest Evga utility that enables me to control the graphic card’s fan, and check the card temperature (the temperature seams OK).
    3 - I have uninstalled all unnecessary memory resident applications that resided in the system tray, and the computer siren still sound, when playing games, or running Norton internet security.
    Believing that the problem is with the memory I have now ordered 4GB of the following type of memory, which I am expecting delivery soon: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, DHX.
    4- Finding the thread on "strange alarm or siren sound on abit ip35 pro offlimits" now leads me onto another direction.

I have started the Guru tool within the Bios tool today, and now the alarm even sounds within the BIOS utility and the temperature reading of the CPU are:

Shutdown Shutdown Beep Beep
    Reading Enabled Temperature Enabled Temperature
    CPU 87C / 188F (*) 85C/185F (*) 75C/167F
    System 31C/87F () 65C/149F (*) 55C/131F
    PWM 49C/120F () 90C/194F (*) 80C/176F

Shutdown Beep Low
    CPU Fan speed Enabled Enabled Limit
    1740 RPM (*) (*) RPM

Details of the system causing this problem:

Case: Silverstone TJ05S-T (With temperature control)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2,66Ghz G0 stepping (Retail: not over clocked)
    Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro (with original bios
    RAM: 2Gb Corsair DDR2 Twin
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (SSC edition) (factory setting not changed)
    Drives: 1x 250 GB Western Digital (primary drive), 1 x 300 GB Western Digital (secondary drive), and a Pioneer DVD+/-RW recorder
    Monitor: llyama Vision Master Pro 454
    Main S/Ware: Microsoft Office 2007 home and Student version
    Microsoft Outlook 2007

Any advice and help regarding this problem would be most useful, as I am running out of options. Judging by the Guru readings, the problem must be with the CPU fan (unless the temperature reading sensor of the motherboard is busted). My case temperature with its CPU temperature sensor placed in the CPU fan heatsink reads the CPU temperature as being 30 degrees Centigrade (so something is not giving me the right temperature).

handscombmp

Re: Abit IP35 Pro emitting alarm / Siren sounds frequently

Have you tried updating the bios as that will at least solve the temp probs (a fault is know for making them to high) and it may help you with your alarm sound

Registered+
    Thanks

Not yet, because I don't have a floppy drive to be able to create a boot disk.

I have a spare Corsair voyager 1GB memory stick, and have installed yesterday its utility software, so as to be able to use this utility to create a bootable USB stick and can't even do that, because of the lack of a floppy drive.

This apparently is the recommended procedure before updating the bios.

I am going to dish out an older spare PC with XP that has a floppy drive and try to create a bootable USB first.

handscombmp

I created a bootable usb with no utility software or floppy drive for my Abit P35 Pro XE board.

I just followed the instructions here.

Thanks

if you open the abitEq section of uGuru when you are getting the alarm the offending item will be highlighted in red.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

handscombmp

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    if you open the abitEq section of uGuru when you are getting the alarm the offending item will be highlighted in red.
    Surely this means that the pc belives it is overheating so it beeps to warn him as it woulld make sense it does it when he starts to load the pc.
    What happens when you run prime95. This loads the pc up and if it's due to the fact the mobo belives the cpu is overheating this should make it beep.

This means a bios update should fix it then.

Thanks

No, the alarm can be temp, fan rpm or voltage - the quickest way to narrow it down is to see what abitEq is highlighting.
    Of course we don't know what BIOS version he is on but he has an E6750 which is a relatively old CPU & there shouldn't be a temp registering problem even on a fairly early BIOS .

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

handscombmp

True.

Well i'll guess we'll have to wait till he tells up what is setting it off it's just i know that even on my friends p35 pro XE it reported a E4300 as 50c but when i updated the bios for him it came down to 32c and being as he says the abitEq is reporting the temp as in the 80's (which gets its info from the bios) it would make sense.

To the OP if you run core temp what does it say the temp is.

Registered+
    Thanks

Apologies for this late reply. I tried creating a bootable USB stick, but failed, as my old system crashed as soon as I tried doing that on it. Then I tried removing the old floppy disc drive into this faulty machine, and after booting it went all dark (not even displaying the memory check at start up before the bios details are shown).

So I played it safe and bought a new motherboard (Abit IP35 Pro XE), plus some new memory (i.e. Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, PC2-6400 800MHz -XMS2 DHX Xtreme), and the next CPU up from the one I had hence an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB.

I fitted this last weekend and the lot worked smashingly well. After replacing the system, I found out that not only the original CPU fan was loose and holding on 1.5 of its 4 attachments, but also, one of the memory modules was not securely placed. Because I did not have some thermal paste and had actually never replaced that on the any system I went for the more expensive and safer option. I sold my previous component to a friend for peanuts money as I was ready to give them for free, but he wouldn’t have it for free.

I must admit that the hardest part to fit was the CPU fan, even with the new components as it felt like the new motherboard was about to snap or bend during fitting. I wish the manufacturers didn’t make CPU fan attachment holes such a tight fit.

Well I have learnt the hard way this time, and perhaps this is the only way to learn: before attempting anything, one needs to ensure that everything is securely in place, and perhaps one should also have a tube of thermal paste and a clean, dry soap-less pad of Brillo at hand, in case it is needed to remove the old thermal paste off both CPU and CPU fan. I found this information from the friend to whom I gave the old components.

Also I am grateful that consulting with the individuals at Hexus has lead me on the right track. This confirmed that the problem I was experiencing had nothing to do with my graphics card, nor with my case, but instead revealed that the source of the problem was with my motherboard complaining about the high CPU temperature settings (which was correct as the CPU fan was loose).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerandran View Post
    even with the new components as it felt like the new motherboard was about to snap or bend during fitting. I wish the manufacturers didn’t make CPU fan attachment holes such a tight fit.
    the Intel pushpin system actually relies on putting a bend into the PCB so it's by (bad ) design.

and perhaps one should also have a tube of thermal paste and a clean, dry soap-less pad of Brillo at hand, in case it is needed to remove the old thermal paste off both CPU and CPU fan.
    I really wouldn't recommend a brillo pad or steel wool - much better with isopropyl alcohol or something like Akasa's TImclean.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thread Information