Thread: AN8 32X 9.0. error code

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy AN8 32X 9.0. error code

Hi all
    I have had this board 2-3 months. Firstly, (as I always do nowadays) took Seans advice and tested with just memory, CPU and graphics before installing in case. Everything OK, installed win XP on Sata H/D and ran for a few days like this. Came to install in case and when fired up, made a two tone noise from speaker with a 9.0. error code. Tried removing everything one at a time, eventually taking the board out of the case for testing with just CPU graphics & memory again, but with exactly the same error code. Also tried clearing CMOS a few times in between to no avail.
    Have now replaced CPU, removed memory, tried different graphics & PSU and still get the same error code, 9.0. I am now totally stumped.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Abit AN8 32X
    Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2
    AMD A64 3500+ (& 3000+)
    Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU
    Sapphire ATI X1800XT 256Mb
    Hitachi T7K250 250Gb

Thanks
    When installing the motherboard into your case did you fit a screw into the hole near the middle just above the DIMM1 slot (labled M7). If so this would cause a short and give you a code 90 error.

If left there long enough it may cause more serious problems.

Registered+
    Thanks
    The board isn't in front of me right now but I would say 'yes' if it's a mounting hole. I guess I would've had no reason not to. The manual doesn't say anything about not using it (not that I can see). But why should it be a problem if it's a mounting hole?

Pete B.

BTW thanks for your quick reply Sean

EDIT: Just had a look and yes I can see it is different now, but why is there no warning about using it. There is absolutely nothing in that section of the manual, all it says is to use a spacer where there is a slot (of which there are none). So now I assume there's a good chance the board is fried. So what are my options now ?
    Last edited by drummerboy; 25-07-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    The AN8 32x uses the same PCB as the rest of the AN8 series. Thats why there is a mounting hole there. Normally removing the motherboard from the case fixes the issue unless too much pressure was applied.

Check the motherboard for damage to the track.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I can't be sure, but it looks like it might be damaged because I can see that the track or tracks (could do with a magnifying glass) is exposed silver adjacent to the hole. I'll try and have a closer look later.

EDIT: I have now had a better look and taken some photos. I have to say, it doesn't look good

Obviously had I known about this, I wouldn't have put a screw in, especially as there was already one missing/unable to be fitted to the bottom end of the board, near the IDE connector. I certainly didn't apply undue pressure to the screw, because of the danger of dammage to a mountig hole, as is always the case. So, what are my options now, if any, as I feel there really should have been some warning about this potential problem (which I have obviously not come across before)

Pete B.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 26-07-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    I cant help you with your problem, but a general rule with these is to never put a screw in a hole thats not coated by silver.
    Quite simply, no silver = no screw. its there to stop things like this happening

Hope you get it sorted buddy
    Good luck !

Ade

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    I cant help you with your problem, but a general rule with these is to never put a screw in a hole thats not coated by silver.
    Quite simply, no silver = no screw. its there to stop things like this happening
    or use a washer if there is no metal ring

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Cyber whore
    Thanks
    • bouncin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit an8 32x
      • CPU:
      • x2 4400 @2.7
      • Memory:
      • 2gb ocz el platinum
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 74 gb raptors raid 0 1 x 250 gbcaviar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward bliss 7950gx2
      • PSU:
      • ocx powerstream 600w
      • Case:
      • Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung LE40A565
      • Internet:
      • 20MB virgin media
    well i gotta say ive been building systems for years and never even considered this too be a problem. And i can put my hands up and say that i think exactly the same thing has happened too me. Albeit a little less damaged i hope due too the fact i sent the board back to scan and they told me it still worked lol and for this piece of information it cost me £30. Oh well thankfully at least my board isnt borked. I just hope this board is worth all the trouble. And if it isnt im gonna feed it too the hounds!

Good to see an abit rep on the forums helping people out with fast and effective replys. im beggining to think if i hadnt seen this thread my board would be fried when i put it back in. So i spose that would be the clouds silver lining
    Last edited by bouncin; 02-08-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks
    We use the same PCB for the whole AN8 series, because of the slight differences in models not all of the mounting holes can be used. I'm glad to say that only a few people have fallen into the trap and in most cases removing the screw can solve the problem.

Thanks
    i had the same problems you described and used that mounting hole. See my post since i cant add url here due to low postcount.

Is there any damage to CPU, Ram and GFX card after using this mounthole?

Thanks
    It shouldn't damage any other components.

Thanks
    well i just have to try with card number 3, allthou this time i will avoid that mounting hole.

Thanks

Same Same

I just received that 9.0 post code. After removing that screw and looking for any damage (there was none that I could see) the computer booted almost fine. It actually showed the windows progress bar scrolling across (when windows comes up) but then nothing. Long story short it rebooted itself and came right up but gave me some popup window mentioning something about the registry (I'm kicking myself for not writing it down...I think it mentioned something about missing something in the registry).
    Well now is it is running unbelievably slow. We're talking I click on something then maybe 10-15 seconds later it takes effect.
    I'm wondering if maybe just enough damage was done that it's messing with the memory. What do you all think?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    I just received that 9.0 post code. After removing that screw and looking for any damage (there was none that I could see) the computer booted almost fine. It actually showed the windows progress bar scrolling across (when windows comes up) but then nothing. Long story short it rebooted itself and came right up but gave me some popup window mentioning something about the registry (I'm kicking myself for not writing it down...I think it mentioned something about missing something in the registry).
    Well now is it is running unbelievably slow. We're talking I click on something then maybe 10-15 seconds later it takes effect.
    I'm wondering if maybe just enough damage was done that it's messing with the memory. What do you all think?

Is it fresh install of windows? or are you using it from your old system?

Thanks
    It's a new system...about three months old. I'll have to try memtest to see if they need to be replaced or maybe replace the mobo?

Thanks
    I realized a little later that I didn't remove the spacer behind the mobo. It didn't change anything however. There was also no visible damage on the other side of the mobo.
    I have another computer that I'm going to try and test the memory, if that works then it looks like a new mobo is in order...as well as a very large note to not put a screw in that part of the motherboard! =)

Thread Information