Antec Home Antec Info Antec products Where to buy Antec support Antec enclosures Antec PSUs Antec media components Antec accessories Antec cooling Antec 80 PLUS products
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: P182 Front Panel Audio Problems

Thanks
    • realredfox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ XTC Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3+TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4870 1GB GS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226CW
      • Internet:
      • 50mbit cable

Re: P182 Front Panel Audio Problems

Has there been any progress on this matter?

I've had the exact same problem with my old chieftec case, but I used some el cheapo 3.5" sound panel in there.

All I had to do was to put duct tape on the parts of the front panel which were in contact with the pc case, so that it was isolated.

this method obviously won't work with the P182's front panel thing.

All I know is that it's being caused by bad shielding.

The hissing is getting louder when I play 3D games, probably because the gfxcard is switching to 3d mode which results in a stronger magnetic field... you know... more juice=stronger induced field and all that.

But I also get that hissing sound or more like a whirr, when I scroll through websites or when I drag around windows.

I can eliminate the sound by putting my finger on the ground wire... but that's not a very handy solution.

(btw: win7 x64 + creative x-fi xtreme gamer)

I've ordered a 40cm extension cable for those internal HDAudio+ac97 pin connector things, because I've read on another forum that some people resolved this exact same (or a similar) problem by relocating the cable inside the case (like behind the gfx card and cpu) and somehow bypassing the magnetic field which is causing that interference.

Or is there any other known solution, like a fixed new revision of the sound panel?

Thanks

I just sent a mail to Antec Europe RMA and asked for info on the new version of the front panel. Now they told me just to improve the grounding of my case by connecting it to metal! They also gave me the default answer that "the static problem for computers is everywhere" and so on, as if to explain in beforehand that their recommendation is not going to work... Anyway I did what they recommended and connected a cable from the case to a fixed heating element (= grounded), but it had no effect on the static (what a surprise).

Well this is it for me. I am returning my case to the store I bought it from, and never touching an Antec product again. I recommend all of you to do the same. Antec had me wait 3 months for a new revision of the front panel and now they give me this.

Thanks
    • realredfox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ XTC Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3+TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4870 1GB GS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226CW
      • Internet:
      • 50mbit cable

I've ordered a 5€ extension cable, because I thought I might be able to reroute the cable inside the case so that there won't be as much magnetic interference.

didn't work.

so I got me a 3,5" front panel: Silverstone SST-FP32B (1xfirewire, 4xusb, audio)

now I have perfect sound without any hissing or buzzing... it was like playing computergames while sitting a football stadium in south africa listening to vuvuzelas before.

Thanks

I received one replacement but it was for a different case. Same layout, but the mounting ears on either side of the block were too close to front of the block compared to mine, so after I put the front of the case back on the actual ports were too far back from the holes in the front of the case to get jacks into them. Out of curiosity I went ahead and booted the PC with the front off so I could plug into that audio jack, and it was no different.
    I was asked to email in pictures of my original block and the replacement they sent me, which I did on 5/18, and that was the last I've heard of anything.
    As much as I didn't want to, as this was a custom ordered, very well assembled PC, I've currently stripped everything out of it, including the power supply which isn't antec, and put it in a cheapy little case I got off craigslist for other use. It's front audio, which isn't housed in the same block as the front usb, is clean as a whistle.
    I know this is an issue with various manufacturers, especially with laptop audio jacks. I've been through a pile of laptops since 2002 and some had this problem, others didn't. My current laptop is as noise free as the case I'm currently using for the desktop, so I know it isn't everywhere, but it is out there depending on the way things are laid out.
    I do really like the overall construction of the case, I live in very hot summer New Mexico and the case allows for many large fans, but it seems to be boiling down to returning it, or covering that audio jack with electrical tape and pretending it isn't there.
    This case I'm currently using is tiny and cheap, but the audio and usb are encased separate of each other, which is probably key to this issue. With the amount of room available in the antec compared to this tiny box, this might all have been avoided quite easily, aside from maybe some cost factor of two individual parts.

Thanks

Made an account since I got it to work.

Submitted a request to antec a couple weeks ago and got replacement part last week. The tech support person I emailed said there was a new part available. (parts look the same to me)

Took apart computer and put it in, static was still there. Noticed that if i didnt screw the grounding ring all the way in and pushed it down w/screwdriver static seemed to lessen. Unscrewed, flipped the the grounding loop around, and screwed it back in tightly (while computer was on) and static seemed to be less, unscrewed a little and moved/adjusted the ring+wire and other wires around a bit and was able to get rid of almost all the static. It seemed that when i put the case cover back on the static increased a little but not by much, it was a very big improvement from before.

To test static turn the volume down low, plug in a nice pair of headphones (i used ones w/low resistance like IEMs) and play some music in the background (i left a game running at the menu cuz there was a background audio loop)

tl;dr Flip the grounding ring around and try again
    Last edited by inoesomestuff; 21-04-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks

Came here from google search for: p182 front panel audio. And registered account here only to report that I have exactly the same problem with my p182 case as all users here who have been complaining.

I've had my case for 2 years and enjoyed it so much. Used only back panel connectors for speakers straight from motherboard with absolutely no static. As now I purchased a pair of headphones, plugged in front panel jack and got extreme static noise like everyone else here. I thought Antec makes real quality products for such a high price there's no chance that something could fail especially front panel connectors...

So is there any solution to this? I want a fix which totally eliminates static. I cannot believe that situation has not changed since this thread is 2 years old!

Please respond, Antec.

Thanks

Hi matrica,

the problem is isolated and has been fixed. Please contact our RMA-department via europe.rma@antec.com to discuss your options.

Best regards,

ANTECsupport

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Support@ANTEC View Post
    Hi matrica,

the problem is isolated and has been fixed. Please contact our RMA-department via europe.rma@antec.com to discuss your options.

Best regards,

ANTECsupport
    When was this resolved?
    I ask because neither of the 2 replacement front panel assemblies I received from your company resolved my noise problem.

Thanks

This is really unfortunate that although you received 2 replacements the noise is still present. I do not have an exact date for when it was resolved, just the information that it has been resolved. AFAIK this was much earlier this year. If you still experience problems, it might be a general grounding issue or maybe the sensitivity of your audio hardware. Please feel free to contact our RMA-department again to discuss what further options we have to get this right for you.

Thanks

Today I received the replacement unit and installed it right away. Unfortunately the noise is still present and the problem IS NOT resolved. Support@Antec, please don't lie that it's fixed. I really don't understand why Antec can't manufacture properly shielded front panel assembly and also why keep sending defective units as a replacement?

Going to discuss this issue again with
    europe.rma[at]antec.com

Thanks

Received 2nd replacement unit from Antec and it's still defective and again makes front audio port unusable... Antec hasn't resolved this problem yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrica View Post
    Received 2nd replacement unit from Antec and it's still defective and again makes front audio port unusable... Antec hasn't resolved this problem yet.
    I had this problem and I did some research from different forums.
    I registered just so I can post how I fixed mine. Ravelli posted a good solution, but won't work with everyone.

causes: just like ravelli said, the audio and mic ports have ground wires shared with the usb ports in the front panel assembly. This is a design flaw by the supplier. I don't think Antec designed it to be this way, but their supplier or whoever makes it continues to make them this way. this is why you keep getting replacements with the same static and noise issue. you don't really receive broken front panel assemblies, but they sending you the same unbroken ones, just that they are flawed in design.

The other cause of the static is your video card and other computer components in the case that emits the EMI (electrical magnetic interference). When you run a game, the video card will output more EMI from the engines used. like the 3D engine from the game. the soundcard you use will pick up the EMI quite easy, especially if it's next to the video card.

another cause of the noise is the front panel wire running from the soundcard to the front not being shielded from EMI. the wire will easily pick up the magnetic interference that is emitted by the video card and other components inside the PC.

So how did I fix my problem? I tried to get into the front panel assembly and cutting the plastc in half so I can cut the ground wire shared by the usb. I couldn't get very far as I was in risk of cutting other wires. so i gave up on that. I unscrewed the ground wire that was coming from the front panel box and attached to the metal part of the case. you can find this by taking the right side panel off the p182/p193 case, the side which is behind the motherboard. check near the front panel assembly and you'll see a wire screwed onto the case as a black ground wire. I unscrewed this and covered the end (or most of the whole wire) with electrical tape.

This still didn't fix the noise problem . I decided to try and see if putting electrical tape on the front panel audio connector would shield it from the EMI emitting from the components inside the pc. I wrapped the whole HD audio front panel wire connector (connected to the soundcard) completely with electrical tape. I also tried running the wire from the soundcard to the back of the motherboard, and then into the front panel. I made sure to tape all around completely from the socket connecter all the way to the other end.

I did a test and now only 5% or less of the noise exists!!

I hope this info helps everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
    Hi Guppy,

Let me find out with my Product Development guy to see if your solution will work, and see if there are any other solutions out there for your issue.

//Frank
    is well need light

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard400 View Post
    <snip>
    The other cause of the static is your video card and other computer components in the case that emits the EMI (electrical magnetic interference). When you run a game, the video card will output more EMI from the engines used. like the 3D engine from the game. the soundcard you use will pick up the EMI quite easy, especially if it's next to the video card.

another cause of the noise is the front panel wire running from the soundcard to the front not being shielded from EMI. the wire will easily pick up the magnetic interference that is emitted by the video card and other components inside the PC.
    Stumbled on this thread trying to fix my front audio panel issue and felt I should also contribute given one posters blame train comments.

I also have a P182 case, fairly old now. Only really noticed this issue recently having upgraded to an PCI-E audio card for better sound quality - unfortunately sits pretty close to the video card due to slot positioning on the motherboard. I noticed moving the header cable the buzz/video movement audio issue was related to the cable proximity to either a) video card or b) power feeds to the mainboard.

Tried the suggested fix of removing the ground wire - made little or no difference. Created a self-made audio cable shield (tin foil/electrical tape) - this improved the situation by about 60-70%. Suspect that this will only truly be resolved by moving the video card further away/better routing the cable; neither of which are physically possible.

As other posters have commented, noisy electronics on cheap video cards are probably fairly likely to cause this as is proximity to any power feeds. If only a proper shielded cable was available...

Registered+
    Thanks

Another owner of the P182 here who has his headphones hooked into the back audio. I'm trying to cram a card reader into the front panel, so I'll have to try some of the suggestions to separate the grounds. Also, you must be able to buy suitable shielded cable instead of cobbling something together? Perhaps shielded cat5 would do?

Thread Information