• Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection

Insurance types?

Since I passed my test I have been looking into cars but I'm slighly confused as to the different types of insruance products out there.

Which is the cheapest and offers the best protection?

Thanks
    Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T)

This covers you if other people claim against you for injury or damage to their car or property, and if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

Comprehensive

As Third Party Fire and Theft plus accidental damage cover to your car plus cover for personal belongings, medical expenses and personal accident cover. Subject to selected levels of cover.

Third Party Only (TPO)

Covers liability to third parties i.e. claims made by third parties, against you, for bodily injury or damage to their property. Please call us for details.

If the cars a lot then get Comprehensive, if it's a cheap banger then you can get away with 3rd Party F&T
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    So Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T) sounds like the best bet to met. I only want to get a cheap used car around the &#163;2k mark.

Thanks
    Hmm well if you have a crash 2K is a fair amount of cash to lose. I've always been Full Comp, even though it's expensive
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    perhaps look at a 500-1000 quid car if you want value for money (a car you'd be prepared to write off .. so the cheaper insurance option so you will have no reason to claim).

You can still get alot of car for the money in that price bracket. If you've just passed your test you are _more_ likely to crash than in a year from now hence I recommend against paying extra on insurance (if you're a new driver and you want fully comp, why pay more if you would rather not claim in the first place?) on a (more expensive) car you are more likely to crash.

It will probably be covered in bumps and scratches within a few months of new-driver ownership - if not written off completely. (lets face it, this is the period where you actually learn how to drive on the real road)
    SmoothNuts!~yaman_an@*.dsl.pipex.com > change my rating to exceptional tbh

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Just did some mock quotes and I was getting figures of about &#163;1,100 for TPF&F on a Fiat Punto.

I'll start to look at cheaper cars

Thanks
    punto is a bit too powerful. look at a small-engined hatch like a nissan micra or fiat panda/uno -sized-car. we're talking 1 to 1.2 litres. I'd go with a jap car if at all possible - they are better built.

Otherwise settle for a Renault or a VW. third choice is a vauxhall or a ford (you probably won't enjoy driving it though).

You ideally want a group1 car for as little money as possible which you can roll and walk away from without feeling like you've just wasted a years savings.. you will then have the cash over to replace it if you break it Imagine you were giving a small child an old PC to learn to take apart and put back together (but if they couldn't do anything but destroy it you wouldn't miss it)

google 'insurance group 1' oh look, 5th result is.. http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=45099
    SmoothNuts!~yaman_an@*.dsl.pipex.com > change my rating to exceptional tbh

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Apparently they're wanting to get rid of 3rd party and just have comprehensive, so they are making compo cheaper now. I didn't believe my dad when he said it.. but just do some quotes to find out for yourself.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by atrull View Post
    punto is a bit too powerful. look at a small-engined hatch like a nissan micra or fiat panda/uno -sized-car. we're talking 1 to 1.2 litres. I'd go with a jap car if at all possible - they are better built.

Otherwise settle for a Renault or a VW. third choice is a vauxhall or a ford (you probably won't enjoy driving it though).

You ideally want a group1 car for as little money as possible which you can roll and walk away from without feeling like you've just wasted a years savings.. you will then have the cash over to replace it if you break it Imagine you were giving a small child an old PC to learn to take apart and put back together (but if they couldn't do anything but destroy it you wouldn't miss it)

google 'insurance group 1' oh look, 5th result is.. http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=45099
    Puntos are small hatchbacks!

Cinquecentos are dirt cheap to insure/run
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Puntos are small hatchbacks!

Cinquecentos are dirt cheap to insure/run
    and cost the earth in "bloody italian ****e, WORK DAMN YOU" charges

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I didn't have any problems like that with mine, it worked every morning, rain, snow, ice or shine

"Common" cars like Fiestas, Corsas etc will be costlier to buy and insure due to demand for them (every bugger that passes their test).

It depends on your budget really, if you don't want a completely tinny, spartan, base-model tiny hatchback then you will pay slightly more for insurance. It's the way it is, until you have some no claims
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005

Thanks
    Agee with Howard Cinq's are great first cars - cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure. My g/f had hers for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    and cost the earth in "bloody italian ****e, WORK DAMN YOU" charges
    ...remember Fiats AND Alfas are both more reliable than Audis - Fact !

The other thing to think about with a first car is to go for something out of the ordinary. Insurance has a stong base in "cost to repair" these days. So the cars that most 1st time drivers buy (1.0 and 1.2 Corsa, Ka, 1.2 Clio) will be loaded on the insurance as they have a history of being regularly crashed so are likely to cost the insurance company etc. I know people who have found the larger engined model can be cheaper to insure sometimes as they have a history of costing less to repair. My advice would be to run lots of quotes through an online quote system to get example prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    .... and as someone who ditched his first "cheap runaround" after 8 weeks. Don't scrimp on the car. Pony up the money for a decent car and for comp insurance.

Why..? You worked your butt off to pass your test. Now enjoy driving, not listening to the sound of the engine deafening you while freezing from the broken heater and that noise from the suspension. Couple this with feeling like driving miss daisy every time you pull away and get overtaken by a funeral procession.

I am not saying buy a sports car but get something reasonable that will make you smile, not grimace!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    .... and as someone who ditched his first "cheap runaround" after 8 weeks. Don't scrimp on the car. Pony up the money for a decent car and for comp insurance.

Why..? You worked your butt off to pass your test. Now enjoy driving, not listening to the sound of the engine deafening you while freezing from the broken heater and that noise from the suspension. Couple this with feeling like driving miss daisy every time you pull away and get overtaken by a funeral procession.

I am not saying buy a sports car but get something reasonable that will make you smile, not grimace!
    I knew you'd realise eventually

This is my point. Unless you really can't afford it, it's worth it

Mind you saying that, my Cinquecento was basic, yet had features I like to have; Central Locking, electric windows, sunroof, etc. It kept me warm too

It was a beast. Yes it was.
    Last edited by Howard; 23-02-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I knew you'd realise eventually

This is my point. Unless you really can't afford it, it's worth it

Mind you saying that, my Cinquecento was basic, yet had features I like to have; Central Locking, electric windows, sunroof, etc. It kept me warm too

It was a beast. Yes it was.
    My Focus Titanium has everything (auto headlights, wipers, rearview mirror, climate control, windows and more!) .. the complete opposite of the Fiesta

You were right mate!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I like top-spec cars Wouldn't buy one without air con, electric everything, remote locking etc. I'm lazy and I like my toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information