Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scariest Moment Driving?

Thanks

Re: Scariest Moment Driving?

A few years back this one.

The journey home from my first Uni work placement was half country lanes and I loved every minute.
    On one particular stretch there was some lovely fresh tarmac that eventually runs straight for a half-mile or so to a t-junction Give Way onto a popular local route. Just before the junction is a pub on the left.
    This day had seen plenty of rain and there was a fair amount of surface water but the roads were empty and the rain had stopped so vis was good.
    I had just started braking for the junction when a car appeared out of the pub car park half-way between me and junction. My heart nearly stopped as I knew I'd never stop in time, pictured the crash in my head and stamped on the brakes. Of course an X-reg Polo doesn't have anti-lock, it doesn't even have a servo so I simply slid straight-on, steering wheel turned to the right but nothing doing.
    How I managed to force myself off the brakes I'll never know but I did. We turned but it was going to be too much (I'd over reacted a touch!) so stamped on the brakes again (still sliding and still on course for a messy one), straightened up a touch, came off the brakes and steered around the offender after more on-off action.

Now I was very lucky noone had turned towards us off the junction as it's a fast corner and they would have been doing 30+. I was even luckier I managed to stop just inches before the Give Way lines as a van went charging past.

All I can remember about the car was it was brown. I didn't look back, shout, anything. I was just too shocked. Seconds later I was on my way again but I'll never forget it.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Mike - did your crash look something like the Pug in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMt2jE-0vgc

and I bet this chap filled his race suit too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lbC5rpVl8
    Somewhat Like that i'd assume... i doubt i got that much air but i landed about 30 feet from the road so got some distance.

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb

Mine was about 6 months back, spirited drive on a local country lane which has great visibility, few miles with no hedge rows so i was going about as fast as i could, knowing there was nothing coming. Probably averaging about 55mph then theres the odd corner which you can sort of see through the hedge in spring time, having a look and not seeing anything i went around at about 30mph i'd guess then to my horror there's a people carrier coming straight towards me, slammed on the brakes and they locked straight away, slid off to the gravel on the side so i wasn't really losing much speed, i saw the woman in the people carrier shaking her head then i saw loads of tiny children in the back of it

Luckily, this was just next to the first passing point on that lane in a while, i managed to slide right into the passing point and come off the brakes to carry on......slowly.

Absolutly crapped myself knowing i could have killed some of those tiny children. Rubbish old tyres were replaced a few days after for something remotely grippy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    The second time, just up the road, again doing about 50, a Mercedes E-Class estate pulled out of a side road without looking and just kept coming. All I could do was try and steer round him. In the end I missed him, don't know how- another few inches and my left leg would have been the first point of impact. Which I reckon would have been quite serious.
    There's the difference between you and me. You had the space and mind to avoid it. Sounds like an identical situation to mine otherwise - my biking trousers were rather scuffed where they'd hit the car (and I imagine that's where the knee bruising came from), but somehow no broken bones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information