• Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    Maybe. Have actually considered it a few times, there are advantages. Like being able to choose trim, colour, accessories. But most of all, the warranty. When I figure out what I've spent on repairs with second hand cars, I figure I could just as easily have kept up finance payments.

But probably not, for as Big Al pointed out, the moment you drive a 10K car out the showroom, it's only worth 7K5.

Thanks
    I bought my car new 5 years ago, there are advantages but admitedly most you can get from buying one about a year old, such as warranty (ANYTHING wrong it goes back), being able to choose a rare colour, trim levels and upgrades. Plus 3 years of (usually) no unexpected wear-and-tear repairs (exhausts, brake discs, C.V. Joints etc.) but as I said you get nearly as good on a 1 year old car.

There is also something nice about knowing that no-one else has really driven it, and that it's never been in the red zone once.

But the only reason I even thought about it was money, 5 years at 0% and one years free insurance

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Like Lowe, if it was a day to day car for going to work etc then i'd go for one a couple of years old, but if i was buying a performance car it'd be new in an ideal world.

Still wouldn't say no to a second hand r33 liner tho

sdp
    Thanks
    I wouldn't spend more than 2k on an A to B car, if I had 13k it'd go on something 40 years old
    Mini!!!!!

Ant
    Thanks
    I was asking myself that question a couple of months ago in October. I knew exactly what I wanted and how much I had to spend. Was looking for a 2nd hand car.

In my opinion, if i'm going to be spending so much on a car, it had better be spec'd exactly how I want. Unfortunately I couldn't find what I wanted, so I ended up buying new.

I know I would've saved quite a lot by buying a 2nd hand one, but I'm just not patient enough to wait months and months till I find what want.

Though buying new, I did get a 3 year warranty (handy as i do a lot of driving), I got the exact spec I wanted, and I know that it hasn't been thrashed to bits by some little noob rudeboy! (Didn't get the free insurence tho ) Another main reason was, I did get a pretty good deal, worked out about the same as taking out a loan for a much cheaper 2nd hand car! wasn't bad imo.

I'm happy with mine, even thought its prolly already lost a few grand off the value already.

Anyways, I suppose there are pros and cons both ways, and I totally understand other people's points of view.
    Last edited by Ant; 20-01-2004 at 08:35 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    I've bought new several times. The reasons are varied, and not even the same from car to care.

Last time the main reason was because I was buying a performance car and :-

1. it did not save vast amounts buying one a year, or even two, old
    2. I could then order the EXACT spec I wanted, with the accessories I wanted
    3. new or a year or two old, it WAS going to cost a lot
    4. with a high performance car, you can never be quite sure how a "pre-owned" one has been driven - sympathetically, or caned?
    5. I could afford to buy new
    6. it made sense, tax wise

The ONLY reason for not buying new, to my mind, is either that you can't afford the absolute price, or regard it as poor value for money. In other words, it's about MONEY.

If, on the other hand, money is not at the top of your priority list, then buying new makes a lot of sense.

The car?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    My car was new when I got it 2 and a half years ago now, but it was a pressent from my Grandad, saves loads on inheritance tax to give us (his grandchildren, and children) gifts like that. There is something very nice about having a brand new car, but I think my next one (when I qualify and can afford something a little nicer) will probably be one or two years old, simply to get something nicer for the same money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous
    Depends on the cash situation.

Lottery Win = Yes New Car Screw-U-All I'm Rich (and Stupid now)

Loaded = Yes but only a 911 because they hold their value so well it's cheaper to run each year than my Honda Civic (with exception to the insurance ofc) and depeciates far less.
    Friend of a friend owns 911's and changes them ever year. Reckons that running costs without petrol and insurance and including depreciation is about £1000.

Reality = Never, if I ever spend more than £10grand on a car there needs to be a damn good reason for it! (hell you can get sooo much car for that kinda cash!)
    Fallacy, my boss has a 2001 or 2002 911 Turbo, was £120k new... he recently tried to sell it and it didn't even shift at £70k... it has less than 10,000 miles on it. In the end he deicded to rent it out.

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ive bought 2 new cars now and will probably buy new again when I buy my next one.
    Fair enough it doesnt make much sense because you can get bigger better deals on nearly new cars and brand new cars depreciate as soon as you drive em off the forecourt - but I love the fact that I am the only person to have owned my car!

And I think its cool that under the Previous Registered Keeper section of my log book it says "None" and in Special Notes it says "New at First Registration"

Yes I know Im sad, but it makes my little world happy!
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Rob
    Thanks
    If I may add my 2p? I have just (sept - 53) bought my first ever new car. And it was for one reason only... From the day I could first drive, I was always the last person to own a car before 'Mr Scrappy'. I always swore that if, one day, I had the money I would like to walk into a proper dealership and say 'I want THAT car, with THAT engine, THAT trim, THOSE toys, and in THAT colour'. I did... And I have! And as Honoop said, it does wonders for your ego.

Yes, I have lost a fair wedge of money just by driving off the forecourt. But, I have no repair bills (Unless I prang it!). My insurance actually went down, mainly due to Renault's 5* Ncap results. 3 years Full AA cover (instead of one years insurance). And I actually bought a car with 7 miles on the clock

That said, now I've done it, when this needs renewing I will spend the same £16k on a secondhand Lexus IS200 sport

Thanks
    For £16k you could probably get the Altezza (same damned car ffs) with a lot more toys and more performance *and* pretty much brand new.

http://www.mackaytrading.co.uk/fullv...cial=&RSpage=4

Okay, that's one isn't brand new but it's £3k cheaper. There's a 03 model on autotrader with 6000miles for just under £16k

Rob
    Thanks
    That will do nicely Sir!

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Depends what the circumstances are really.

I effectively buy a new car every nine months, because I pay a fairly low figure each month and don't have to worry about anything except denting it. Everything is covered by warranty (unless I do too many miles - had a bulb die after 16000 miles last year) and even tyres and servicing are covered by the contract. I could possibly run a secondhand car for a bit less, but any problems I got I'd have to sort out which I can't really be bothered to do.

If I didn't have access to the scheme though, I would definitely buy secondhand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    After seeing a few threads posted on here over the weekend i'm interested to find out how many of you would actually spend 13K on a Yaris T-Sport etc, To me that sounds like a waste of money especially considuring what other cars you could get for that sort of money.

TiG
    very true ,. can get a decent second hand merc or someting... unfortunately i did the same and bought a bloody brand new basic no power peugeot 206 on finance ! h8 it !

Thanks
    I have bought a nearly new Focus Titanium. Cost the original owner around £17k+ with all the options at new. 9 months later I get it with 8K on the clock for a snip at £10.5k.

I see no value in new cars at all, unless you have money to burn
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information