• Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    I'd change the licencing, so that new drivers are limited to a certain power output (similar to motorcycles) with no direct access. An 'Advanced Test' would then be required in order to drive any vehicle.
    I totally agree with that point too. I think it's crazy that a 17 year old (if he/she can afford it) can drive a 2litre monster of a car yet is not legally old enough to drink.

ab1385, I also agree. As I said earlier, more police on the roads would have a better benefit, and replacing cameras with real coppers would server better justice.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Finnish fine for speeding is scaled according to income - that is a great idea, so long as they set a minimum fine per mph/kph over the limit and take into account estates/savings so "jobless" millionaires don't get away with it.

Personally I think the only deterrent is speed cameras - round where I used to live speed bumps were used to reroute the traffic, not necessarily slow it down (anyway that was the effect, intended or not).

IMO ad campaigns don't have a lasting effect as too many people think "yeah, well that's people that can't drive, I'm a great driver, I'm no risk".

I imagine in a few years' time we'll have RFIDs in several locations in all vehicles and the government will be able to charge you per mile you drive, and be able to work out if you averaged >70mph between 2 junctions on a motorway
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I am against removing control from the driver (i.e. car which stops u from speeding. I suppose i could live with it pinging if i go above limit though).

What i would do is reduce the speed limit by about 10mph, apart from the 30mph one (that can be 25) and the motorway/dual carriageway (can stay at 70).

However i would only enforce it at current level. I.e. u can do 30-33 and not get nicked in a 25mph zone. The idea being that if limit is 25 and u doing 30 u feel like u going fast enough (only problem here is 4th gear wont pull at 25). Basically use the psychological effect, without putting everyone in jail (which is what the zero tolerance thing would do).

Speed cameras are alright, but if you know where it is u will only slow down there. Fine for near schools though.

Btw - my idea is not doable, coz a) noone will let government reduce speed limits so much. b) they wont resist fining people for doing 28 in 25mph.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    TeePee, young drivers ARE limitd to the power output of cars.. the goverment call it insurance

Thanks
    the ping noise in the car is quite a good idea. it doesn't distract the driver yet tells them what they're doing wrong. much like old school mini-buses that had a little red led light up whenever you went over 50mph.
    speedcameras are generally good if well used, however, i think things based on the technology are better. for example as you enter a village near me, there's these black signs that light up with the speedlimit and flashing lights if you're going over the limit. it's something to do with the personalisation of the sign that makes it work better than a standard speed limit sign.
    ad campaigns aren't that good. what lasting affect do they have on motorists. i remember reading somewhere that the government is the top corporation for advertising expenditure.
    some common sense with speed cameras and their technology could do a lot of good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    the new mini makes a 'ping' noise when you go above 75, to simply p*ss you off...

no it doesn't.... it does however make a ping noise if the temperature outside the car drops to/below a preset value.. in the case of mine, 3 degress C...

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    erm.. no, my mates cooper makes a ping when you pass 75...

i dont think you should restrict young drivers from driving larger cars for one reason - most young drivers drive their parents cars. i learned to drive on me dads 1.8 (not much but plenty enough) and drove it till i got my car.. couldnt have afforded it any other way.

perhaps stop young drivers from OWNING large engined cars?
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    But then theyd just get their parents to own a second, and drive that anyway, the way that some people avoid paying high insurance on bigger cars anyway...

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i looked into getting my car under my dads insurance - which hardly has a big engine (1.4) but it was £200 cheaper to get it on mine..

Thanks
    There are four practical ways to slow traffic; 1. Speed cameras, 2. Speed Indicator Device (SID), 3. Traffic calming (speed bumps, chicanes, and narrowing), 4. Lower speed limits

1. Speed cameras:
    Speed cameras are essentially a good thing. The Government has just exploited them to make themselves more money. People are frustrated with the fact there are speed camera signs, when there are no speed cameras. Or there are speed cameras with no reason.

Undoubtely they do make drives slow down, as would you really want 3 points and a 60 pound fine if you could aviod it? They should only be applied to accident blackspots, and in my opinion not schools. As people unknown to the area could easily slam on their brakes, making more of a hazard.

2. Speed Indicator Device (SID):
    I think that these are really the best way to make people aware of their speed, as you cant really ignore large flashing signs. These therefore should be highly effective at slowing motorists.

Also, the SID's that are on tight bends telling you to slow down are very good...for obvious reasons.

3. Traffic Calming:
    This is best put to use in town centres, or busy areas for two reasons.
    1) It stops motorists taking 'shortcuts' through high risk areas, and adding to risk of running down a person. As the 'shortcuts' would take longer because of the speed bumps, chicanes, and road narrowing.
    2) It would slow the motorists actually using the roads. The use of warning signs, and rumble strips could reduce the possibility of drivers going too fast through sections, as Big_Al experienced....

4. Lowering speed limits:
    I think that having a 20mph speed limit in the centres of towns and cities is one of the best ways to really get drivers to slow down. Also it is the most cost effective. Also, the driver of the car in the advert who hits the dummy would have stopped miles before he hits the dummy....

One of the best ways to inforce the 20mph speed limit is to use red tarmac. This makes you very aware that the speed limit is 20mph.

In conclusion, speed cameras are effective but they have been badly used for so long that it would take a lot of work for the public to have confidence in them again. Adverts are all well a good, but they need to be constant for people not just to dismiss them. SID's are good because they make you aware of your speed, and not fine you or something for speeding. Traffic calming is most effectively used to minamize the amount of traffic in an area, also helping the environment. Finally, lower speeds effective, but irritating!

Hope you all enjoyed reading my thoughts....
    Will
    Last edited by blockers; 24-02-2004 at 09:15 PM.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    Speed detectors that make a row of spikes pop up 20 metres ahead of the speeding car A few sets of ruined tyres would slow you down.

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Not in anyway trying to lower this discussion, I genuinely believe putting up signs like I have designed below on 30 roads and things would help enormously:

Put them out of reach of scum bags tho otherwise they'd get vandalised.

Oh yeh, and put speed camera's in places where accidents are rife. Also, maybe people need a bit of educating, why speed on things like 30 roads, because if you have some anger why not go on a Motorway and unleash a bit more speed (70) and happy days!
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    the new mini makes a 'ping' noise when you go above 75, to simply p*ss you off...
    Yeah - the new Toyotas do it, I was in a Corolla 52reg and it was really annoying, think it comes on at 80mph though.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Is the 'ping' noise a constant ping, or one that just happens the once? I think something that repeated every 20/30 seconds or so could be really useful. Wouldn't prevent speeding in 30 zones tho!
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    think it just goes off every time you cross 75 while accellerating..

how about this idea - put cruise control on cars with a few buttons - ie a button for 30 and a button for 60.. it would save the driver having to think about whether to speed or not..
    Last edited by 5lab; 25-02-2004 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Would prevent you doing more than 80 in a 30 zone. Its a start.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information