Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 107

Thread: The famous 'Why We Don't all Drive Mondeo's' thread...

  1. #1
    My name is James J4MES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    1,455
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    24 times in 21 posts

    The famous 'Why We Don't all Drive Mondeo's' thread...

    1. Because they're not great cars
    2. Because they're too big for some
    3. Because they're simply not 'desirable' - that's why they're cheap
    4. Because 'I drive a Mondeo' says 'I don't care too much for cars'



    5. Because not so long ago both my parents had one...

    When I bought my VW Golf TDi, I didn't think 'what am I doing? For the same £4k I could have a bigger, longer, newer Ford' ... I thought 'I quite like VW Golfs, they're well made, the Mk3 I had was reliable, I think I can afford a car which is the size I need, with solid build quality, good residuals, the missis will like it...' etc. etc.

    Granted, the Mondeo does exactly what it says on the tin. They make a lot of sense for a lot of people, because they're not a bad car. But everytime someone asks 'what do people think of 'xxx' for my next car, EVERY thread becomes a debate about why the Mondeo, - being cheaper AND bigger, would make a better buy. Well guess what - poeple are prepared to spend more AND get less, if it involves buying the cars they want, not Mondeos. Shocking.

    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

  2. #2
    Administrator Moby-Dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    There's no place like ::1 (IPv6 version)
    Posts
    10,665
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    385 times in 314 posts
    I got one but only as a runabout and I treat it with the contempt it deserves
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

  3. #3
    www.5lab.co.uk
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    haha

    being a mondie owner myself, i maybe a little bias, but they are pretty good as cars go - best in class most of the time for the last 10 years or so.. or if not right up there with the best. the one thing i'd say is that i'd never spend more than a couple of k on one because they shed value like its going out of fashion.. my 6 year old example cost me under a grand, and thats for the diesel estate (a combintion which, on most cars, keeps their value a little better than the rest of the range). for a 6 year old car that cost £16k to start witih - thats 94% depreciation in less than 6 years - astonishing.

    i dont personally see the problem with them being big, in fact for a while i was looking at bigger cars (scorpios and omegas) but the economy on them was shocking. i think the one thing that people dont get is the fasination for golfs.. yeah they're good cars, but to be fair the build quality, reliability and so on aren't much better than the competition.. its just a badge.. its also wierd how skodas seem to be going the same way (its made by vw, as if that gives it magic powers) but seat *isnt* - seats dont seem any more desirable than the rest of the cars on the market..

    anyways.. i disagree on point 4.. i love cars, but i needed one that could fit 4 bikes, 4 people in, and was cheap to run. no other car ticked the boxes as well as that.. and besides, the mondie (mk2, not the mk1) was regarded as the best handling car in its class for eons.. better than the 406, vectra etc. personally, i'd say if you have a mk4 golf it says 'i dont care much for cars', because they're heavy bloated rep-mobiles, rather than anything that actually handles nicely (not a personal attack, just there are better cars - focus, 306 - in the class/age)..

    so there ya go. i fully understand why people dont want a mondeo, i just dont get why they all want a golf (given the damn costs of them)
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

  4. #4
    Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanks
    630
    Thanked
    965 times in 816 posts
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    My dad had one of the first mondeos as a company car back-in-the-day. Only of the only cars to ever make me feel car sick. never forgiven them for that

    (just like i don't drink sprite or go to a Little Chief because me, my brother and my dad all got food poisoning from that combination. Oh yes i can hold a grudge )

  5. #5
    HEXUS.Metal Knoxville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down In A Hole
    Posts
    9,388
    Thanks
    484
    Thanked
    442 times in 255 posts
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Fairly Inoffensive cars in my experience, I just have no great desire to own one.

  6. #6
    sneaks quietly away. schmunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wiki Wiki Wild West side... of Sussex
    Posts
    4,424
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    163 times in 121 posts
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    Fairly Inoffensive cars in my experience, I just have no great desire to own one.
    I agree, although my choice of car is now largely based on what's currently cheap on the leasing scheme...

  7. #7
    My name is James J4MES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    1,455
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    24 times in 21 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    i'd say if you have a mk4 golf it says 'i dont care much for cars'
    hehe

    Fair one - didn't see that coming... and a refreshingly objective view on Mondeo ownership if I do say so myself...

    I did persuade my parents to have them, to be fair, so I do know why they are popluar... but I'll keep the Golf mind...
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,856
    Thanks
    829
    Thanked
    517 times in 357 posts
    My old mans got one, the seats are crap, theres no "feel" from the car and with it being an estate when u brake the backend fishes around...

  9. #9
    Super Tanker Driver hitman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nr Kendal, LA6
    Posts
    1,328
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    23 times in 13 posts
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • 200gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Why I don't drive a Mondeo:

    1. the fact every Rep and his dog has one
    2. They don't do a nice, big, gusty Diesel
    3. They don't do a Cabrio
    4. I like my Audis.
    5. I'm not keen on the Ford badge

    tbh I did go and test drive a New Mondy based on someone on heres recommendation, but didn't like it. The gearbox wasn't as slick as the Audi's and the power delivery was a lot worse, but it wasn't too bad a car. Plus I'm not a Ford lover.

    To summerise, each to their own. I don't think everyone should drive the same, if you like the Mondy, it's your choice and you can buy one. I like Audis, my choice and I buy them. There more expensive than a Ford, but In my opinon they are worth all the extra and you get a very sweet car from it.
    Last edited by hitman67; 02-02-2006 at 10:46 AM.
    [: O |=====|O :] Beyond Fashion Since 1948

    Quote Originally Posted by XTR
    Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!
    Correct apart from the working part

  10. #10
    Administrator Moby-Dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    There's no place like ::1 (IPv6 version)
    Posts
    10,665
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    385 times in 314 posts
    I dont base my opinion on carso nthe brand ,but on the car. The mondeo does 2 jobs very well

    - It gets me to work on a lot less than the £50 a week petrol the 200 would cost
    - It makes me *really* appreciate the 200
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

  11. #11
    www.5lab.co.uk
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    Why I don't drive a Mondeo:

    1. the fact every Rep and his dog has one
    granted, although the 3 series (sic) now outsells the mondeo, so it wont be that way for long..
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    2. They don't do a nice, big, gusty Diesel
    st tdi? 114 kW
    (155 PS) at 3500 min-1 (rpm) 360 / 400* Nm at 1800 min-1 (rpm) - not sure how it is to drive but thats pretty pokey for a derv
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    3. They don't do a Cabrio
    yeah. true. no-one would buy it because..
    4. I like my Audis.
    5. I'm not keen on the Ford badge
    dont think ford will ever win that battle.

    i've not found any of the 'problems' that others have - back end snaking about and so on... but i've not had the car long.. but it should be noted that this car to me is.. a car.. its not an object of desire.. if i wanted a *nice* big estate i'd have bought a v70, but for the same age you're looking at 3 times the cost, and i didnt want to pay that much. i couldnt get passionate about the mondeo, but its a very efficient tool.. i challenge anyone to find a more compitent load lugger for a grand - only the slaguna has a bigger boot (in class) and they arent the best for reliability..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

  12. #12
    Rank Bajin
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Hemel/St Albans
    Posts
    1,163
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    To summerise
    That'll be why you have hte cabrio then....

    People get cars that they think will fulfill there needs as much as possible, in order of preference. For some, this means ultimately they want something nice looking with the "right" badge on, with money coming further down the scale of things. For others, it's load space, economy and value for money above all else. But ultimately, everyone works on a differing scale to yours.

    This is why my dad always has to get a car big enough for big trips for B&Q and the dump, despite the fact that mum's car can always take more stuff than his. Still I think we're weaning him off that. It's also why my car is cold, not very comfy, rattles, takes a fair effort to start in the morning and drinks petrol.

    All about relative priorities.
    The Caped Crusader :-)

  13. #13
    Super Tanker Driver hitman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nr Kendal, LA6
    Posts
    1,328
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    23 times in 13 posts
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • 200gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    (155 PS) at 3500 min-1 (rpm) 360 / 400* Nm at 1800 min-1 (rpm) - not sure how it is to drive but thats pretty pokey for a derv
    Nice engine but the gearbox is terrible, feels like your sturring porridge. Compared to the VAG Slick shift it's awful.
    [: O |=====|O :] Beyond Fashion Since 1948

    Quote Originally Posted by XTR
    Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!
    Correct apart from the working part

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Terry and June Land
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Because people can afford to be choosy.

    It is funny when people with <whatever car it is> say it's the best car ever just because they have one. This does seem to happen a lot with mondeo's - possibly because they offer good value for money?

    Personally, I would avoid one if I could because i would always be loosing it in carparks amongst all the others...

    Before my latest sensible car I had a 96 Alfa 146ti which I loved. I knew it was far from the best car ever, but I loved it :-)

  15. #15
    Looser Konan555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    2,749
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    47 times in 44 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    Nice engine but the gearbox is terrible, feels like your sturring porridge. Compared to the VAG Slick shift it's awful.
    It is true to say the remote linkage on the MT75/MTX75 isn't great, although a lot can be done to improve it for very little money once you've dropped the box for something like a clutch change.

    They've also got a horrid drop between 1st 2nd and 3rd if you like spirited driving.

    The flip side.... On both our Polo and Skoda I found that, whilst the stick had cluncked forward (or back) to the right place, the gear hadn't been engaged. Was forever grinding 1st gear. The stupid thing is, push the clutch back in, tap it with one finger and it worked fine

  16. #16
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,893
    Thanks
    1,839
    Thanked
    3,340 times in 2,684 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Relative values it is. Mondeo's good value for money, but others rate desirability over value. I'd consider one, but they're bigger than I need and the mpg wasn't as good as I liked. If I needed a bigger car mondeo would probably be my first choice. But I'm a cheapskate

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hard drive help
    By uk rider in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 10:53 PM
  2. Mounting CD Drive
    By RufusKing in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-01-2004, 10:35 AM
  3. formatting a hard drive.
    By blockers in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 01:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •