Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more pathetic fan grilles

Thanks
    how have you modded your case if all you've done is removed 3 of the 3.5" bezels? is installing a new drive a mod? I think not, so how is that any different. sure, you need to mod the screen, but that has nothing to do with the modding potential of the case itself.

And you can (shock shock horror horror) get full size towers from other sources besides Lian-Li if you need lots of space to watercool.... but you can fairly easilly fit watercooling into a normal midi tower - rad beneath the drive cages, reservoir in 2 5.25" bays - that's a fairly standard setup (not that I've watercooled myself, yet) ...

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Quote Originally Posted by counterclockwis
    how have you modded your case if all you've done is removed 3 of the 3.5" bezels? is installing a new drive a mod? I think not, so how is that any different. sure, you need to mod the screen, but that has nothing to do with the modding potential of the case itself.

And you can (shock shock horror horror) get full size towers from other sources besides Lian-Li if you need lots of space to watercool.... but you can fairly easilly fit watercooling into a normal midi tower - rad beneath the drive cages, reservoir in 2 5.25" bays - that's a fairly standard setup (not that I've watercooled myself, yet) ...
    I was talking about the PC-60's (which are midi tower's)... And do you really have to hack it up to be modding?

Thanks
    Modding is changing your case from stock, tbh installing coloured thumbscrews could be called modding. Like lots of things in computing there are different levels of modding.

I personally have cut holes all over different cases to add fans etc. Cutting out a fan grille is a mod, installing an lcd is also a mod as from what I have seen some changes have to be made to the case front to accomodate the screen.

Modding is only limited by your imagination and once you get started you always look fro more things you can do to your case.
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    I'm not saying you need to hack it up, it's just that installing new components such as a drive would not be a case mod, and with those 3 3.5" bays it's so similar to installing a drive that you have to question it. So um.... yeah, reading back I basically am saying you have to hack it up for it to be a mod! oh well.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Yeah but the drive is part of the PC, the case is designed to accept it and there's already standard cabling for the drive... For the screen not only do you need to wire it up but you have to fix it to the case (or the bezel in my case - no pun intended - and I'll be wiring up some sockets inside so that I can still easily detach the bezel...)

TBH I have to go with mgh0 here - even replacing the fans for some LED ones is modding... It's not how it came and it's purely for looks... So it's modding in my book...

Thanks
    i didn't say it wouldnt be modding, you do have to mod the screen. I just dont really think it's case modding. If there is some work in putting it into the case then sure it could be counted as modding, but I was under trhe impression thatr the Lian Li's didn't really need anything doing to them for the screen.

They're pretty cases, there's no doubt about that. It's just personally I would rather buy better components and get a case which I make equally or more good looking, and have it unique. so many of the Lian Li bods are so samey. Each to their own though.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    My Juno P6 full tower had more rubbish covering the fans than any case i have ever used. After cutting it all of not only was it alot quieter but also much cooler.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thread Information