Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Earphones Required

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    spend £17 and get a set of sony fontopias from ebay, they will blow your mind with quality and sound blocking. well worth every single penny at £35 high-street price, let alone ebay price.
    I can't find EX-71 on ebay

I need to find out what the warranty is like on them though, Sony use to do 1 year

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    £120 is not a lot for a pair of earphones. i spend that on non-noise cancelling ones, and would do it again at the drop of a hat
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    That's as much as an MP3 player!!!!!

Thanks
    m8 go to play.com and look for sennheisers mx330 for 5.99 delivered. OMg there so cheap. And amazing sound, im using em for my zen micro

Thanks
    £120 is a lot for a pair of earphones, even i can just about justify that price and i'm usually the first to try something too expensive to make sense.

YOu buy a portable to go out and about with it, use it while you are doing activities etc. You simply won't be using £120's worth of earphones most of the time that you are listening to music on the portable. So you may aswell get something that does a great job for the money.

If you tell me the sound quality difference between sony EX71 and some £120 pair bothers you whilst walking briskly to college or work or riding a bicycle then you probably have bigger problems than i can help you with.

Everyone else, unless you are going to lie back in your bed at night in a silent room trying to discern every instrument in a song. Just buy yourself some ED-21 or EX-71 or equivalent and you'll be happy.

Besides, let's not forget we are likely going to be listening to compressed MP3 through fairly mediocre amps found in portables. £120 earphones would be like buying £1000 Momo leather seats for your robin reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin4458
    m8 go to play.com and look for sennheisers mx330 for 5.99 delivered. OMg there so cheap. And amazing sound, im using em for my zen micro
    The problem I find with most non-sony, non-canal earphones is 'where is the bass?'. If this doesn't bother you then sennheisers are probably a good buy, and at that price they don't have to perform too great to justify the price so you can't lose.

Personally, i'd bump that up to £13 and get the ED-21, careful though, as the fontopia earpiece shape doesn't suit small ears.
    Last edited by Marcos; 26-05-2005 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB DDR400 Corsair XMS
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2.5" 64GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce G210T / Geforce 7800GT
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    I can't find EX-71 on ebay

I need to find out what the warranty is like on them though, Sony use to do 1 year
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

cheap! older model but are a lot better, i'm going to pickup some of these too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

cheap! older model but are a lot better, i'm going to pickup some of these too.
    I already have some EX-70s, but i heard the 71s are improved.

And my 70s are on their way out, they are slowly dying, but to be fair it has been over 5 years so they've gone a long way for their original £35 P

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    A lot of reviews i've read say the 70's sound a lot better than the 71's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    A lot of reviews i've read say the 70's sound a lot better than the 71's
    Strange , guess i'll have to look that up

And looks like i won't be upgrading as such after all

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    They have arrived took 2 days shipping

First impressions they do noise cancel, the silicon buds isolate a lot of ambient noise already. I tried them first without plugging them in to an audio source and just turning on the active noise cancelling and immediately i could no longer hear the drone of my PC fan .

The noise cancellation response is for low frequency so higher frequency noises can still be heard so you don't miss conversation or announcements on a plane or train.

Activating the noise cancelling circuitry whilst listening to audio also bosts the volume of the audio. They appear to be less bassy than my old EX-70 they had a response of 6-20000Hz the NC11A's co 10-20000Hz. But the sound quality in my opinion is still very good.

I don't think I would have spent £120 on these, but at £55 I think they are acceptable, I'm due to take some longhaul flights this summer so they'll be very useful then.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    £120 is a lot for a pair of earphones, even i can just about justify that price and i'm usually the first to try something too expensive to make sense.

YOu buy a portable to go out and about with it, use it while you are doing activities etc. You simply won't be using £120's worth of earphones most of the time that you are listening to music on the portable. So you may aswell get something that does a great job for the money.

If you tell me the sound quality difference between sony EX71 and some £120 pair bothers you whilst walking briskly to college or work or riding a bicycle then you probably have bigger problems than i can help you with.

Everyone else, unless you are going to lie back in your bed at night in a silent room trying to discern every instrument in a song. Just buy yourself some ED-21 or EX-71 or equivalent and you'll be happy.

Besides, let's not forget we are likely going to be listening to compressed MP3 through fairly mediocre amps found in portables. £120 earphones would be like buying £1000 Momo leather seats for your robin reliant.

The problem I find with most non-sony, non-canal earphones is 'where is the bass?'. If this doesn't bother you then sennheisers are probably a good buy, and at that price they don't have to perform too great to justify the price so you can't lose.

Personally, i'd bump that up to £13 and get the ED-21, careful though, as the fontopia earpiece shape doesn't suit small ears.
    just fyi, my £120 headphones are plugged into my hifi at home

incidentally, they do provide a LOT more detail than sony in-ears from my portable, and i am the first guy to state how good those fx71s are!
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    just fyi, my £120 headphones are plugged into my hifi at home

incidentally, they do provide a LOT more detail than sony in-ears from my portable, and i am the first guy to state how good those fx71s are!
    Yeah, thats a whole different territory when you use them on the hi-fi at home , for that i'd justify even £500+ headphones.

Was just trying to make the point that:

portable + mp3 + activity = need no more than ex71 sound quality

Thanks
    Why would you need more sound quality in headphones for use at home than when you use then out and about?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun
    Why would you need more sound quality in headphones for use at home than when you use then out and about?
    Quite simple really.

When you are at home you are usually sat down, doing not much else, most of your concentration goes on listening to the music. Maybe you even put some music on for the sole purpose of actively listening to the music concentrating on it, all the little intruments and beats etc. Usually a home is fairly quiet if not silent, so any problems with the quality of earphones are very noticable.

Out and about all that goes out the window, if you are walking i hope for your own safety most of your concentration is on walking and where you're going. Music is just something you put on to make the walk more interesting. Then theres the whole ambient noise issue, everything from your feet treading, cars going by, general traffic noise, wind, people, trains if you go on them. Its rare for me at least to have an opportunity to be outdoors and in complete silence and at the same time not moving around making noise.

So as you can see, the superior sound quality of earphones 4x the price would be wasted and ruined by the factors surrounding outdoor/commute listening.

Thats not to say you can use crappy earphones happily, but i don't believe anyone needs more than £40 earphone quality when out and about. Unless they need noise cancelling in which case thats something else.

Thanks
    Well I'll definatly be using the away from home. At home I'd just use speakers.

Thanks
    ive got koss plugs
    http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/koss_plugs.html
    and
    a pair of Koss KSC22
    http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/koss_ksc22.html
    bot pairs are really nice, the plugs are amazing for bass and the Koss KSC22 are great conftable headphones that deliver supurb sound and u dont even notice they're there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information