Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting Sky HD - is it worth it?

Taz
    Thanks
    • Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 500GB (PCIe) + 1TB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS550M 550W Hybrid
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 34" Asus Designo Curve MX34VQ UWQHD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350

Thinking of getting Sky HD - is it worth it?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Sky Digital package to Sky HD. There are a fair few costs involved: the cost of the digibox itself and the extra monthly subscriptions.

I also want to relocate my Sky box into the main bedroom (from the living room) so that will entail some drilling and minor DIY work.

In addition, I want to invest in a 32" HD TV. All in all, the costs are looking like £1000 to £1500 if you take into account the 12-month extra cost of subscriptions to Sky HD.

So, for those that have Sky HD, has it been worth it? On the plus, side, investing in HD technology will allow me to use my Xbox 360 in HD mode.

Thanks
    my parents have had it about 2 months and they love it

when i went back home i watched mostly sky sports HD and the quality was awesome, a good quality HD TV would be def recommended - they currently have a 50" Samsung one and its immense - makes for some quality viewing

Now im back home i have to endure just regular Sky on a regular poor mans TV
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Taz
    Thanks
    • Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350
    I have a question on HDMI connections: will I need two separate HDMI inputs on the TV to connect both the Sky HD box and the Xbox 360?

I'm guessing I will in order to get the best picture quality.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I have a question on HDMI connections: will I need two separate HDMI inputs on the TV to connect both the Sky HD box and the Xbox 360?

I'm guessing I will in order to get the best picture quality.
    The 360 doesn't support HDMI IIRC. Connect the Sky Box with HDMI, and connect the 360 with component. The component qulaity is excellent on the 360.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I'd wait a while - Sky normally charge through the nose for new technology only to drop prices drastically after 12 months. Sky+ when launched cost a lot for the box, and you _had_ to pay an extra sub for using it - now it's dirt cheap to buy and the sub is dropped when you're on two premium packages (e.g. sky world and sky movies). Sky HD costs a lot and you HAVE to pay the extra tenner on top of your normal subs - deja vu? That coupled with the mediocre choice of programming right now doesn't look too appealing to me - but it's all down to how you value it isn't it?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Taz
    Thanks
    • Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350
    ^ Thanks for all the advice.

I desperately want to buy the new Sony Bravia LCD TV (the KDL-40W2000). However, i'll wait a few weeks for the January sales. As I live in a flat, Sky were completely useless in trying to get me Sky HD. I'll just buy the HD box myself.

From what I can gather the Sky HD box has two LNB inputs, but will work with just one - I just won't be able to record one programme whilst watching another. We've got a communal dish and a distribution system feeding the flats so i've only got one LNB point available on the wall outlet.

Initially i'll just be using the HD TV with the Xbox 360.

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    I've had Sky HD for a good couple of months now and I gotta say it's bloody amazing. Although it only has 11 HD channels they are all fantastic and there is always good content to watch. For example I watched planet earth last night on BBC HD and it was almost worth the £300 price tag for the box especially with surround sound.

You can easly pick up a good LCD screen with the Sky HD box and a years subscription for under £1200. Take a look at the Samsung R7 LCD's they are fantastic

From what I can gather the Sky HD box has two LNB inputs, but will work with just one - I just won't be able to record one programme whilst watching another. We've got a communal dish and a distribution system feeding the flats so i've only got one LNB point available on the wall outlet.
    Yeah your correct you need two inputs if you want to record one program and watch another.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    I've had SkyHD since the day the service went live...

The BBCHD test channel and Sky Movies 9 HD are damn good.

The other HD channels are very hit and miss unfortunatly

In dark areas (shadows are the worst) you will see a lot of compression artifacts due to a combination of Skys compression routines/equipment and limited bandwidth....SM9HD get away from this by being on its own transponder and therefore has much high bitrates (and thus lower compression) then the other channels.

If you have a nice big screen and are a bit picky about picture quality, I would personally stay clear at the moment as you could get wound-up a bit by it, especially if its bad in your favorite programs (HD versions of Enterprise and SG-1 did this for me )

If you are thinking of buying though, shop around as places like Currys and Dixons will do the hardware for £150, although its a bit hit-or-miss on wether they offer it.....just ask around and see what offers you can get.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Well hopeing to get it installed in ours next year once the loss adjusters have paid out for all that has been damaged in our house due to a lightning strike cant wait for them to cough up the other £15k for my home cinema room!

UKMuFFiN
    Im looking at it now too, well, trying to get my dad to look at it he he.

First of all I was looking at making a HTPC but now I'm thinking one wouldn't be needed with skyHD really and would cost a lot more than the skyhd box (albeit without the sub costs). I could then use the xbox 360 to stream stuff from the PC if I wanted yes?

Basically, its all come from the frustration of still using tapes to record! ARRRGHH. Sky+ isn't really worth getting now is it because we wouldnt get the use out of it before wanting to go HD.

The ideal solution would be as directhex said in another thread where you could buy a subscription and use your own hardware - digital tuuners etc.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've had sky HD since the World cup, I find the BBC HD channel to be the best and the sky sports footie the other channels can be a bit iffy. Sky movies HD9 can be good with more recent movies. I watch on a 7ft screen with projector SP7210 on smaller screens is the difference going to be noticeable?

Dave

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB
    Haven't really looked at SKY HD much myself, but I was curious if the problem with HDMI and some HDTV sets had been resolved yet?
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading my Sky Digital package to Sky HD. There are a fair few costs involved: the cost of the digibox itself and the extra monthly subscriptions.

I also want to relocate my Sky box into the main bedroom (from the living room) so that will entail some drilling and minor DIY work.

In addition, I want to invest in a 32" HD TV. All in all, the costs are looking like £1000 to £1500 if you take into account the 12-month extra cost of subscriptions to Sky HD.

So, for those that have Sky HD, has it been worth it? On the plus, side, investing in HD technology will allow me to use my Xbox 360 in HD mode.
    A 32" TV won't do HD justice. Sure it'll look clearer compared to standard def, but if you're going to spend £600-£800 on Sky HD anyway, why not get yourself a larger TV to heighten enjoyment?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Flood View Post
    You can easly pick up a good LCD screen with the Sky HD box and a years subscription for under £1200. Take a look at the Samsung R7 LCD's they are fantastic
    Yep, the Samsung R73's are good sellers at my work, almost 3/5 TV's sold are R73's, ranging from 26"-32"-40," but we've just got some N73's in....

I'm no salesperson but are the N's > R's?

Thanks
    Generally N is better than R. From Samsung's website... N73 vs R73/74:

Contrast ratio 6000:1 vs 5000:1
    Colour 25.6 billion vs 12.8
    100Hz vs 50Hz
    2 HDMI connections vs 1
    Response time 6ms vs 8ms
    XWCG (eXtended Wide Color Gamut upto 138%) vs none
    WISE link (memory card / USB / Pictbridge slots)
    No PIP vs PIP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If you have a nice big screen and are a bit picky about picture quality, I would personally stay clear at the moment as you could get wound-up a bit by it, especially if its bad in your favorite programs (HD versions of Enterprise and SG-1 did this for me ).
    But if you have a nice big screen, and are concerned about PQ, then SkyHD is still a better signal to be driving you TV than a Sky SD signal. Unfortunately BBC shows us how good it can be...

btw - I watch SkyHD on a 26" screen at 4-5 ft. It's clearly a better picture than SD. To those who say "you need a big screen to appreciate HD", I say nonsense. All I'll argue is that I won't (can't) watch SD on a large (42"+ screen) as it's just a horrible looking mess. You virtually *need* HD on a large screen, whereas on a smaller screen it's just nice to have.

Is it worth the investment? - depends how much football/movies you watch I guess...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information