Thread: Gaming Laptop Question !

Thanks

Gaming Laptop Question !

Hi,
    It's been a while since I have been looking for a 'gaming laptop' and my budget is 3000 dollars canadian. I have seen 'Alienware' and I am not interested in their gaming laptops because not only their price is too high and they are in Miami, main reason because of their reviews I have read terrible things about their laptop reliability. Even though it maybe some bad case, I still don't want to take a chance because I live in Canada/Toronto, another main thing is that I want to buy from somewhere near so it is easy to get it fixed or return if there is a problem.

So far, my main bid was Acer Travelmate 8104, because it just fits my budget after tax included and I can't find a better laptop with better specifications under that price. I was 100% going to buy it but now after reading Hexus.net reviews about it based on gaming I am a bit shaky. If you can under all these circumstances please let me know if this is a wise choice to buy this laptop. Also mainly the game I play is Lineage 2, so if some of you know it you might have a beter clue about how good this laptop will do against that game. Also if some of you want to know the site is http://www.lineage2.com/

Please let me know if this is a good choice and if there is any better laptop I can buy under budget, which I have been looking for a while but this came out to be the best so far. Also some of you may say why laptop why not desktop? main reason-- disability, other then that lazyness.

Also I don't care about the 15.4 inch screen size its good and portable gaming. If some of you may use that reason, all I care about is good graphics and no lag !

Thanks
    Well, I got to say, if I was after a laptop to do some mobile gaming, the Acer 8104 is fantastic price...

Usually, high specced lappys come with a high price tag, which is why I haven't yet taken the plunge and bought one... but for a lappy with those sort of attributes, I'm sorely tempted.

I know that our News Editor, Kez, has an Acer lappy, so he's more qualified than me to talk about them, (even if his is being RMA'd right now)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Well, For price, I'd say the Acer 8104 too. Heard such great things about them too.

I dont know what £1400 translated to in Canadian Dollars though.
    Acer Travelmate 8104WMLi
    P-M 2.0 Ghz
    2Gb DDR533 Corsair RAM
    100Gb 7200rpm Seagtae HD
    128Mb ATi x700 Mobility

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    I had an Acer Laptop, and i gave it the rough ride of its life. I carried it throughout my entire A-Levels (2 years) It got battered around and i quickly found out if was very flimsy. However it was built with fairly quality components and after a RAM update runs fine. I dont use it as a laptop anymore, it gets used to play MP3s at work, but it still works, after being dropped and all sorts.... So i guess they are fairly reliable!

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks

Request

I dont know if any of you know the game i was talking about, Lineage 2 but here is the site http://www.lineage2.com just by looking at it or if any of u play it and also have Acer Travelmate 8104 can test and see how it will run on it? because I plan to put the laptop through a hell alot of gaming experience and 90% of it will be that game.
    Last edited by ahmad; 27-02-2005 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks
    Look at the specs for the 8100 series here. . Now look at the rough benchies down the bottom... If it can manage 30 fps in HL2 at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 8xAF, I reckon it'll run lineage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Registered+
    Thanks
    Aye man, you don't need any laptop that says it is for gaming. generally, you're only paying the extra money to look pretty. I got a dell inspiron 5160. runs at about 1000 bucks, has good graphics and an excellent processor. hell, i go to lan parties a lot, and my graphics/speed is better than many of my friends who own desktops. i have a lot of games installed and play games a lot, so believe me, its a reliable little machine. very light, comes with 2 usb ports, built in wireless, so you can just be anywhere with wireless and have internet. plug in a mouse. the harddrive space isnt that good, (30 gigs) but its easily upgradeable. look into it if you wanna save yourself some money

goddam i smoked while i had a cold last night (wasn't tobacco)
    it hurts

Zoom-Zoom
    Thanks
    The Dell 9300 is out now, and it's bargaintastic. Also comes with a 6800Go and one of them new Trulife LCD panels. 3.8kg as well. Light for a 17".

I speced one up to £1240 inc delivery. It's a VERY good price

Thread Information