Thread: Finally finished G.R.A.W - Am I Satisfied?

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Finally finished G.R.A.W - Am I Satisfied?

Hey ye'all

Spent alot of sleepless nights playing G.R.A.W. Almost missed some of my research meetings in the morning because of it as well. After spending countless hours, I've finally finish the game on Normal difficulty. I'm mighty satisfied with it and feels like a having the stonehenge off my chest..

Here's a lil review just to sum up everything I have encountered..

Gameplay:
    Not the easiest game. The game starts off pretty slowly for you to gain step into the steep learning curve of the game. You're dropped off from a Hercules together with your other 3 member GHOST team. And you're been left off alone after some pretty lousy HALO-jump (which incidently you have zero control over ur movements), and you're required to locate your team. During the path where you zero in on your first GHOST member, the guy on the cross-com give you some idea on how to duck and stand and getting into cover and all (if I remembered correctly).. and the real action only starts after you've located your first GHOST member.
    From this point onwards, my hunch is any FPS self-proclaimed hero will try to start mowing down your opponents with your SCAR coupled with their sted-fast response with the mouse and your super strafing. But unfortunately, doing that will see you dead within the next bunch of mexican patrol squad. This game is a 2-hit-and-your-dead game, actually on some RARE occasion you'll probably survive 3 hits but thats about it. G.R.A.W aims to fit realism first so naturally you do not have super human reflexes. In effects to your physical limitation (or should I say lack of physical superiority), you're offered to be bunched on with some of the coolest gadgets around. These include GPS mapping, high altitude spot drones, cross-communication face modules and superior weaponry. Also, having said that this game is NOT your average shooter, this means you cannot dodge bullets, and enemies ARE allowed (they are not cheating) to mow you down from any 1/3 degree across the 360 degree viewing angle.
    In order to survive G.R.A.W, working cooperatively with other members of GHOST is a must. I have heard from many that one of the biggest let down is how silly the on-screen command can get. Pointing in one direction and setting a command will have your NPCs going to the other side of the building. But for the time I have played G.R.A.W, the top-view GPS command screen is definitely the heart of the game. You can execute anything from point-to-point cover to tank, apache decoy. Once you've got used to the GPS interface, getting in and out of the menu from the tab would become second nature. Commands and executions most often need to be done quickly. Most obvious is to get your squad to cover. The NPCs are often happy enough to take care of themselves (provided you don’t send them straight into the firefight) and that you DON’T use the on-screen HUD command. I often move in a way that I first call for a spotter (often you’re the best one), then moving the rest of the team while leaving the sniper for cover. But there are a lot of other ways to move around. Once you get used to all that, you're ready to win level 1.
    One thing I noticed about the NPC GHOST is that they do not take the initiative to unload their ZEUS on tanks. The way to get over this is to assign, again, through the GPS to lead them into a cover zone where there is enough cover fire to allow them to unload their ZEUS. I have seen many ppl complaining the squadmembers refusing to attack even when they are fired at. That is one of the occasional bug in the game, but most of the time I notice the problem is due obviously on the cross com direction you have pointed them to. When you set a GPS coverage area, just remember, the LOS can be adjusted, and it does make a difference. Having stretched the LOS further will intrinsically allow the NPCs to take out targets within that stretched LOS. However, this only applies to the non-sniper NPCs. Sniper NPCs are by far the best member to take out enemies with. Keep the sniper alive and you're 50% done with the mission.
    Also, the open-endedness of the game is one of the best features. There is AT LEAST 10-15 ways to complete an area (not a mission). Some of the ways are easier than others. Finding the balance between an easy route (often littered with Mexican snipers that can take u out in one shot), or a harder quieter route where every movement is crucial but you can get pass most of the baddies.
    As a whole, I’m very happy with the gameplay. It may not be as stiff as GR1, as many GR purists will nag over the overly advantageous equipment you’re given. But it’s a nice hybrid between realism and some cool almost ‘cheat-like’ futuristic equipments. Also, the lack of people in the streets also calls for a lot of skeptism. Mexico feels more like a ghost town. Nonetheless, the core gameplay stands tall.

I give it,

8.5/10

Graphics:
    Graphics wise, it is ALMOST a mind blowing experience. However, for ppl that have gotten so used to AAed gamed will have to find time to get themselves reacquainted with a AA-less world. After you've overlooked the jagged screens, you're presented with an uber-ly detailed Mexico City. The streets are littered with detailed bump mapping to super cool HDR effects. The HDR isn’t overly excessive IMO as some others have complained about. Having come out of a dark corridor, you’re expected to have like a couple of seconds pain in the eyes right?
    I personally don’t have a PhysX card, but having just software acceleration, the explosions are a lot of fun to watch. The detonation of bunkers, comm.-towers and even just a simple grenade launch to an oncoming Mexican APC is rewarded with enough flying debris to make you smile.
    Other than the lack of AA, I would have given this game 9/10. But being an AA slave myself, having to overlook the AA at times is rather difficult. But you’ll have most of your time worrying about rooftop snipers and listening to tank engine rumbles.

I give it,

8.5/10

Sound:
    All the weapons sound really powerful. I’m no expert when it comes to sound effects. But the explosions do sound like an explosion (painful to the ears as well). And launching a ZEUS or just firing a SCAR without a silencer will have your ears temporarily deafened, literally, when you have the speakers up loud. Furthermore, the sound effects stand out even on my onboard 5.1, so I would assume ppl with a X-Fi should be in for a treat. Overall I’m superbly happy.
    9/10

Realism:
    Most part of the game stresses well on the realism factor, from the physical limitations of the GHOST commandos, to the believable recoil of the various weapons. However, the lack of player fatigue is probably a minus. I can run for ages and ages and Captain Mitchell would still be all strong and healthy. But then you won’t really have the chance to run long distances (other than the fact that you want to die early). The overly advantageous equipments you have at hand is a LITTLE suss sometimes. I’m not referring to the GPS, as I feel this is a believable infantry enhancement. But the overly accurate sniper rifle, the overpowering carbine prototype and the video feed of other GHOST members through cross-com does make a lot of the confrontations a little easier than it supposed to be. On a lot of occasions you’d wish you weren’t those Mexican soldiers hiding somewhere to trying ambush the American GHOST members while the high altitude drone has enough cam resolutions to see you picking your nose. All in all, realism should almost score 9.5/10 other than some minor problems here and there. But its easily overlooked thanks to some other neat features.

I give it,

8.5/10

Difficulty:
    If you like mowing down your enemies? This is not your game. If you like an enjoyable night playing games where the enemies bow down to your weaponry and basic superiority? This is not your game. Some parts of the game are EXTREMELY difficult where you are constantly being ridiculously outnumbered. Some of the roofs are literally crawling with snipers and you’ll have more than 1 Mexican tank to worry at times. But once you get through the hardship, it’s a totally rewarding experience. Having said that, I do feel some of the levels are just way too difficult. Some of it is way too much trial and error, and even the slightest mistake will have your team dead within minutes.

I give it,

10/10 (for difficulty wise)

Overall is this a good game?

Well if you enjoy a challenge, that involves using more of your head than your ego, then this can be a very enjoyable game. Super FPS skills are NOT needed for G.R.A.W but basic understanding of FPS perspective is definitely helpful in getting acquainted with the learning curve. Once you get passed the minor flaws of the game, it’s an enlightening experience. The game definitely has replayability as there are countless ways to replay a level. Enemies act differently all the time (except to the point where they’re being spawned), so none of their flanking footwork is actually scripted. I know, as I have replayed many times… courtesy of its sometimes ridiculous difficulty.

Overall, I give this game,

8.8/10
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • pr0p4g4nd4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG Strix B550 Mini ITX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
      • Memory:
      • 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB+500GB M.2 NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 1070 Mini
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF750
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Masterbox NR200P
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10, Arch Linux, macOS Catalina
      • Monitor(s):
      • 4x 27" LG 4K IPS
    Cool, thanks for the review man I might check it out

BTW, what did you do to the poor Gallardo in your avatar?

Registered+
    Thanks
    very good review. for me its all about online play with this game. it just feels clumsy in single player to me
    I dont understand HTML

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Anyone ELSE that finished the game?
    Me want Ultrabook

Registered+
    Thanks
    so how is the game, worth buying?
    --Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ @ 2.4GHz -- AS-A8N-SLI PREMIUM -- OCZ 2GB PC-3200 Gold GX -- WD 74GB 10KRPM RAPTOR S-ATA -- BFG GeForce 7900GTX Dual 512MB -- Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic -- Dual ViewSonic VX922 LCD 19" - 650:1 - 2ms -- Aspire X-Navigator(ALU) w 500w ps -- Logitech Z-5500 Digital --
    -- Dimension 9150 -- Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz -- 1GB DDR2 533MHz -- Dell mainboard -- 160GB HHD -- GeForce 6800GT 256MB -- Surround Sound 5.1 -- 19" UltraSharp --

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by skull_00
    so how is the game, worth buying?
    Did u read my review?
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    I instantly found the command interface so clunky compared to GR1 that I've not played since gathering up my Ghost squad on the initial mission. From the sound of this maybe I'll give it another go.....

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by ajones
    I instantly found the command interface so clunky compared to GR1 that I've not played since gathering up my Ghost squad on the initial mission. From the sound of this maybe I'll give it another go.....
    It is definitely a far cry from what we've played on GR1.. but once you've gotten used to the clunkiness (which shouldnt take too long for GR1 veterans), and overlook the on-HUD commands except for the some rare 'COVER' or 'STOP' command when you found out the path u chose has an ambush convoy waiting for your team.. That is the ONLY two commands I use in there.. and its rarely used unless I get myself in some serious fix for not planning correctly..

And the most important point you have to take care is that the your GHOST member needs to be posiitoned away from enemy fire, or at least not getting shot at for them to unload their ZEUS.. To do this, cover fire, supressive fire and dash dive needs to be used to attract attention, both the snipers and the tank.. the GHOST will not take the risk of shooting their ZUES when they're getting shot at.. (I know.. how can they be so chicken.. but thats just how they handle it..)..

Also, do not overlook the strength.. ok.. maybe its more like do not forget to exploit the cheating eyesight of your sniper NPC. They can shoot anywhere up to and within anything u can see in the screen.. even if their head is just one pixel in size.. with absolute precision.. just as long as they get a clear shot... but do not make ur sniper take every shot, as the recovery is absolutely terrible. Take them only for the most difficult shots, but with enough cover so he wont get distracted..

Hope all of you guys are enjoying this..
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • Wam7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X79 Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • I7 3930K @ 4.9 Ghz 24/7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 240 GB 2x 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX670 & GT430
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster M2 Pro 1000W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-X
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Tri monitor - 27" Iiyama 2x Dell 19"
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 120Mb
    I loaded it up and played for about an hour, I really liked what I saw but the lack of AA was killing me. (you don't get a X1900XTX to play without AA!) I read that the next patch would include AA so I've put it down and will wait till then.

Big thanks for the review, no doubt I will be contacting you once I get under way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyen
    Anyone ELSE that finished the game?
    Yeah I finished it. Found it extremely difficult in parts but I thought it was best single player game that I've played in the last couple of years.

Don't play it much online as there was always lag in games, not sure if it's better online now.

Friendly A.I is a bit erratic at times, and the enemy spot you coming. most of the time. even if you just pop your head around a corner.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    I love this game, it is ball breakingly hard at some points but thats part of the charm.

Stil not finished it yet, I only got my replacement 7800GT (onboard graphics suck btw, after two weeks of no games and only one monitor I was starting to get very tetchy )yesterday but I'll be playing inbetween oblivion and the prey demo later.

Thanks
    • Digerati's system
      • CPU:
      • i5
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 5800 HD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
    I've played this on the 360 and the PC and even though im a hardcore PC FPS gamer I had a better experiance on the 360.

I can't describe this experiance in words which I apologise for but I played it on the PC 1st and completed it on the easy setting but had no motivation to try the harder setting.

When i played it on the 360 however I completed the single player, worked my way through hard (and darn it was hard) and still couldnt tear myself away so I started playing it online which is even better!

Which is very odd for me because usually Im an anti-console FPS person.

Thread Information