• Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Some thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    And this is different to every other console in the world ever, because?
    [snip]
    What’s worrying you that it might not live up to the hype? The powerhouse under the shiny black casing? The BluRay player? The established fanbase of willing, paying, over-excited customers? The firmly established (though utterly ridiculous) 'cool' image?
    I guess for me it's because it's really 'just' going to be another '360 at a higher price, very late to market and without too many exclusive AAA titles.

I’d expect history to repeat itself to be honest, and the brand to do what it always has done so far. Direct competition from Microsoft is good, each will keep the other on their toes. Good for me and you as gamers, but not something to get into an argument on a tech forum about.
    I agree - the Sony sheep will buy it no matter what. It could cost 3 times as much as a '360 and have rubbish games - it's still a playstation.

Very true, I've read the IGN and Gamespot features on this, and yeah, almost all multi-format games looked slightly better \ ran slightly better on the 360. It’s been out for far longer, and I don't know about you, but personally I don't buy a console on the basis that it plays Need For Speed Carbon slightly better, or is slightly smoother on the 4th level of CoD3.

It’s interesting I suppose, but I doubt it actually matters or means very much to many people at the moment.
    ...and here I don't quite see it that way - if a '360 plays your game of choice at half the outlay and _better_ than a PS3 then..

Now you are making the mistake of assuming that everything is about 'teh grafics', and I assure you, its not. If the PS3 has games you want to play, then you'll want a PS3, same for the 360. Halo3, MGS4 and the like. AAA titles that you want to play, appearing on the different consoles.
    Problem for Sony is having enough exclusives - MS have worked hard at reducing those PS3 exclusives and have spent a lot of time building up their game studios in recent years. Yes it all about the games but it's also about the _package_ - XBOX live and (now) IPTV too? Those are some neat incentives.

I have no idea what you just said, I reckon you are thinking about it too much.
    I (think) he meant that once you push big resolutions CPU power means nothing - the PS3 could have twice the CPU horsepower but it'd mean nothing in terms of driving the graphics faster. Of course physics and AI need CPU but again I think the '360 has 'enough' processors to cope for it's lifetime.

Its very expensive, some people will not be able to afford it, so its easier to want it to fail so you'd not have wanted it anyway, than to see it succeed while you haven't got one. Explains some of the hostility at least, its just wishful thinking to write off something you probably can’t have, before its got going.
    Very zen - but really I think it's down the to perception of arrogance from Sony (they do themselves no favours now do they?) and the long delays (esp. in Europe) making people question the wisdom of the mighty Sony. Remember I agreed with your statement that it'll do amazingly well above - but I don't think that's particularly good news for us consumers as Sony really could do with a whack over the head thesedays
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Banned
    Thanks
    Zen is right though.

Little Jimmy buys a 360. Little Jimmy then does that annoying, childish thing that gamers seem to do, which is get into a dick waving contest between their console and the other console.

Been happening since the days of the NES and Master System, and certainly since the SNES \ Genesis days.

So a lot of the hostility towards the PS3 will be from people who quite simply own a 360, and therefore the easiest thing to do is bang on about Sony messing up this time, Sony have done this, Sony have done that, blah, blah.

Why do people do that?

I think the above has got a lot to do with the irrational downplaying of the PS3 on the forums of late, and certainly got more to do with it than some sort of collective moral outrage at Sony’s perceived arrogance.

‘Look at the arrogant way Sony are making a follow-up to the PS2… why its enough for me to form an opinion along the lines of ‘ps3 sux xbox rulez!!1’ and post it to a tech forum - thats how annoyed I am!’
    Last edited by Stewart; 10-01-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    As i have said previously, i will more than likely be getting a PS3 but Sonys arrogance is shocking. Just like Nintendos arrogance with the N64, "we have better hardware so we WILL sell more units"

I would agree that hostillity is coming because of the high price point but comments (read blatent lies) like xbox360 costs more than PS3 and PS3 is far, far more powerful than anything even the ninja infinium phantom!!1 are a bit silly

Anyway Stew, you know its all about the games so dont let anymore fanboyish comments get you down

Banned
    Thanks
    Innit.

Remember, I've owned the noisy, heat-producing beast that is the 360. I've clocked up many hours on Xbox Live. I think its great. *Does that thing the Fonz used to do*

But don't write off the PS3 kids, just because it costs more than you can count up to, and its not out yet - like the iPhone, the PS3 is cool, the PS3 looks good, and therefore the PS3 will sell jazillions.

The games don't matter, its all image. (And the games)

Thanks
    Just out of interest what exclusive titles has Sony got left?
    Tom Scott,
    Scancom.co.uk/HEXUS Liason

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Why do people do that?
    Why do people buy into brands at all? I've never been able to fathom it myself. If anthing it's Sony with the better image anyway and that's why they'll sell more units.

It's all well and good banging on about how downtrodden the PS3 is but Sony are the market leader (to the point of monopoly) not MS or Nintendo. Do we expect more from them because of it? Probably.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Anyone who thinks the PS3 will fail, is quite simply a tool with no handle. Although I hate sony (I always have), they will undoubtedly win this console war yet again, though the 360 will give it one hell of a run for its money which is good for us the consumer. As for the wii it has its own road for now so it cannot be compared to the 360 and PS3 in the same way as you compare them two together.

Once the PS3 drops in price and gets some of its key games out they will sell like nothing on earth. The key for sony is that they don't need to spend a massive amount to advertise it. Playstation is a brand thats been marketed to death in the previous generations, they only need to tell people outside of the tech world that theres a new one out and they will buy it.

Give it 18-24 months and I think sales figures will be turning around. I personally believe the PS3 will do better over here at launch than it did in the states or Japan. We're used to paying high prices over here and generally don't complain much about it. I know a number of people who are prepared to pay £500+ for it. Play have it listed at £550 with 3 games which cost £150, so £400 isn't too bad really just for the console.

PS:Im no fan boy of any brand on sale. I intend to buy a wii for its fun value and I am seriously considering getting a 360 since i genuinely belive this is a better overall console than the ps3.
    Last edited by Dorza; 10-01-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scott View Post
    Just out of interest what exclusive titles has Sony got left?

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorza View Post
    Anyone who thinks the PS3 will fail, is quite simply a tool with no handle. Although I hate sony (I always have), they will undoubtedly win this console war yet again, though the 360 will give it one hell of a run for its money which is good for us the consumer. As for the wii it has its own road for now so it cannot be compared to the 360 and PS3 in the same way as you compare them two together.

Once the PS3 drops in price and gets some of its key games out they will sell like nothing on earth. The key for sony is that they don't need to spend a massive amount to advertise it. Playstation is a brand thats been marketed to death in the previous generations, they only need to tell people outside of the tech world that theres a new one out and they will buy it.

Give it 18-24 months and I think sales figures will be turning around. I personally believe the PS3 will do better over here at launch than it did in the states or Japan. We're used to paying high prices over here and generally don't complain much about it. I know a number of people who are prepared to pay £500+ for it. Play have it listed at £550 with 3 games which cost £150, so £400 isn't too bad really just for the console.

PS:Im no fan boy of any brand on sale. I intend to buy a wii for its fun value and I am seriously considering getting a 360 since i genuinely belive this is a better overall console than the ps3.
    but those top games will come out on the 360 too mate.all the people i know have a 360, and the ones that dont, are concedering getting one over a 360 including a guy who is a dedicated fanboy of sony but thats not saying much by saying we know "others" that agree with us. what about everyone you dont know? Why will the ps3 win the console war? because its made by sony? come on thats what you kind of stated in the above quote you wrote.

I totaly disagree that they will win it because of the sony brand, Because 1. XBox 360 is actual better in alot of ways than the ps3 AND MICROSOFT is as big if not BIGGER than sony has a company. If the 360 was made by a lesser company than sony than yeah sony could win it based on there brand name, but dont forget, microsoft have a bigger brand name than sony.

Believe me sony will lose if they dont get loads of quality games that wont be in the 360. has it stands the 360 packs LOOOOOOADS of exclusives and great games and not one of you in here can deny that. there image wont save sony this time because there up againts the software giants of the world
    Last edited by j.o.s.h.1408; 10-01-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    MICROSOFT is as big if not BIGGER than sony has a company.
    Not according to Wikipedia, it ain't...

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Sony are absolutely massive. They do music, movies, games and hardware

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Why will the ps3 win the console war? because its made by sony? come on thats what you kind of stated in the above quote you wrote.
    Where did I saythe PS3 will win because its made by sony?

It will win because of branding and customer ignorance and their loyalty. To the likes of you, I and many others in the tech world we can see through the marketing hype, but remember the majority of buyers cannot. They haven't got a clue how these things work and are not in anyway shape or form sympathetic to their complexities or technologies. As far as they are concerned they turn the things on and "use" them.

Playstation as a brand is far far bigger than Xbox. I’m confident enough to say that without finding anything to back me up. It doesn't matter who makes what. People will buy into the brand that they have always (and confidently) bought into in the past. That has been Playstation. So when Sony comes along and says, hey look what we have, their eyeballs will explode with joy and go and buy it. Its very easy for Sony to bring customers back and for those customers to not be bothered to notice the 360, their loyal to the brand of Playstation. That is why the playstation will win. MS will need to do a hell of a lot and spent a huge sum of money to change the average joes perspective on this.

I totaly disagree that they will win it because of the sony brand, Because 1. XBox 360 is actual better in alot of ways than the ps3 AND MICROSOFT is as big if not BIGGER than sony has a company. If the 360 was made by a lesser company than sony than yeah sony could win it based on there brand name, but dont forget, microsoft have a bigger brand name than sony.
    MS > SONY.. Thats debatable. Sony are a massive company and have been since before the days that Bill was thinking up his master plan.

I agree it is a better console but again see above. That chav that lives down the road and all his mates don't give two hoots about which console is better, he won't have a clue how it works remember. As far as they are concerned Playstation is king and always will be. Trust me, I have tried my best to explain this to some people who are not tech savy and want a PS3....They still think the PS3 is the one to go for; that’s the value of past over marketing to Sony. Playstation is fixated into their heads, its a brand they can trust will deliver.

Believe me sony will lose if they don’t get loads of quality games that wont be in the 360. has it stands the 360 packs LOOOOOOADS of exclusives and great games and not one of you in here can deny that. there image wont save sony this time because there up againts the software giants of the world
    Of course your right, XBOX Live/marketplace is a great innovation there’s no doubting that but again will your average buyer (who are the majority of consumers) even be aware of these two features? I'd argue no for the majority. As for the games sony may have a problem in the short term, but developers will get to grips with it. In any case many games are sold via word of mouth between friends, many won't know whats coming out, they will just see yet again the advert for it in a shop window one day saying "pre-order now" and they will go and buy it or they will think of getting it later on.

Never underestimate the power of marketing/branding hype. I know I have preached branding, but (and I am not being funny towards you here) I don't think you understand just how powerful a persuasion technique it is for companies such as Sony to use to sell things. It is a method of brainwashing that doesn't easiliy go away when a rival to their beloved brand comes along.
    Last edited by Dorza; 11-01-2007 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    japan.

Banned
    Thanks
    No chavs in Japan... and yet the Playstation brand sells like hot cakes over there. Its almost as if they like it, or something.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    No chavs in Japan... and yet the Playstation brand sells like hot cakes over there. Its almost as if they like it, or something.
    Need for speed 3: Tokyo Drift. Japanese chavs?. No really, it was just an example of the kinds of people who buy the PS3 without knowing the ins and out of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    japan.
    Are you saying:

Japan will buy into Japanese brands: Playstation

Japan will not buy American brands since they dislike American firms: 360

?

You will suprise me if you say yes....
    Last edited by Dorza; 11-01-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    The Japanesesese hate the 360, they hates it. They lubs the PS3, they lubs it, they lubs it, they lubs it.

And thats always the way it will be. Very strange people the Japanese; they make the best games, but they only play RPGs, games you've never heard of with 'Super Taisen' in the title, and Mahjong.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information