• Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I have invested along the way, small endowments, pensions etc. SO atm, retirement is looking cool. As for the kids, yes, well four daughters are increasingly expensive so that is why i'm currently looking to further my career and get more cash.
    I did ok with poor parents tho, had a great childhood all in all. There's a lot to be said for a loving nurturing family.
    Stress? well it's a love it or hate it situation as you're aware, suits some but not others. So that's a lifestyle decision you make for your own benifit or no. I work well under stress, but i'd rather live without it, sit back, and enjoy the scenery along the way
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Okay, sorry for the multiple posts.....see join date and total post count to attest to that...just means it's easier to read....

To all the people who want to retire by 45-50....Do you realise how insanely difficult it is, especially in these Prescott dominated days, to be able to afford to retire early? There are people out there, with their own companies, working 16 hour days, 6-7 days a week, on good annual salaries who are struggling to retire by 55, never mind 45.

Say you graduate by 21-22, nobody really starts thinking about pensions and retirement until around 30 (some people earn enough for this to be less relevant, but for everyone else), so if you're looking for a decent standard of living, you'll have to be putting away a substantial part of your salary (probably around half, working on an assumption you'll live until you're 70-75, and want to be able to afford more than beans on toast for the rest of your life). Unfortunately, around 30 is when people are buying houses, getting married, having kids. So suddenly instead of retiring at 45, you're actually going to be working until you're 70.....which is when you die.

Doesn't sound so good, does it?

Man, that was a lecture, wasn't it. Want to know the motivation? A genuine concern for people on Hexus who might just ruin their life by not thinking about it enough....who was saying recently about school kids....you get the ones who destroy the rest of their lives just so they can hang around with the cool kids, the troublemakers....such a waste....
    sig removed by Zak33

IBM
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    I have invested along the way, small endowments, pensions etc. SO atm, retirement is looking cool. As for the kids, yes, well four daughters are increasingly expensive so that is why i'm currently looking to further my career and get more cash.
    I did ok with poor parents tho, had a great childhood all in all. There's a lot to be said for a loving nurturing family.
    Stress? well it's a love it or hate it situation as you're aware, suits some but not others. So that's a lifestyle decision you make for your own benifit or no. I work well under stress, but i'd rather live without it, sit back, and enjoy the scenery along the way
    Isn't maturity a wonderful thing? I'm just coming into it, and it's a real mind blower sometimes

Four daughters.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I was going to dig up my previous post about moving to america, buying a gun and living on a huge ranch sewn with antipersonal devices, just 'cause I have one daughter....never mind four! You better have some super savings for when they get married, that's going to sting a little....

Yeah, I hear you on the background....my parents weren't dirt poor, but they were Scottish , and never got into debt for Christmas presents or birthdays, never did without, but never had too much. I'm proud of them for how I turned out. Still, more toys, holidays in the sun, special treats wouldn't have ruined me too much....

As for stress....another reason I put myself through it is so I can spend more time with my family. For the first five years of my sons life, and three for my daughter, I was there every day, as was my wife. We took a long 1.5 year break when my son was 6 months and travelled the world, then came back to the UK, had our girl and started a company so we could work from home. Now it's crunch time, and I'm sacrificing time with my family to improve ourselves financially. I'm hoping it'll pay off....
    sig removed by Zak33

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    I like the idea of being rich, really rich, who doesn't? but i don't dream of it, i don't have the fight to go after it like a lot of people.

I want to get some money behind me, get together with the woman i like. Then when she has her career sorted out, have a couple of kids which i'd look after while she carries on working. Probably do some freelance type things, photography etc. Or train to be a cabinet maker/master joiner and produce my own furniture etc.

bit of a fantasy, but you never know.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Quote Originally Posted by ibm View Post
    Isn't maturity a wonderful thing? I'm just coming into it, and it's a real mind blower sometimes

Four daughters.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I was going to dig up my previous post about moving to america, buying a gun and living on a huge ranch sewn with antipersonal devices, just 'cause I have one daughter....never mind four! You better have some super savings for when they get married, that's going to sting a little....

Yeah, I hear you on the background....my parents weren't dirt poor, but they were Scottish , and never got into debt for Christmas presents or birthdays, never did without, but never had too much. I'm proud of them for how I turned out. Still, more toys, holidays in the sun, special treats wouldn't have ruined me too much....

As for stress....another reason I put myself through it is so I can spend more time with my family. For the first five years of my sons life, and three for my daughter, I was there every day, as was my wife. We took a long 1.5 year break when my son was 6 months and travelled the world, then came back to the UK, had our girl and started a company so we could work from home. Now it's crunch time, and I'm sacrificing time with my family to improve ourselves financially. I'm hoping it'll pay off....
    I admire your ethics wise choices there, going for what you beleieve in & not afraid to work for it.
    [
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Vampire
    Thanks
    To all the people who want to retire by 45-50....Do you realise how insanely difficult it is, especially in these Prescott dominated days, to be able to afford to retire early? There are people out there, with their own companies, working 16 hour days, 6-7 days a week, on good annual salaries who are struggling to retire by 55, never mind 45.
    Strangely enough I know exactly how difficult it is to achieve. I have had my meetings with my financial adviser and I am trying to work out how much I will need to save for that etc.

I am already thinking about pensions and am going to start contributing/investing within a month or so.

I graduated in Nov 06 and started work in May 07. I know how difficult it is, so I am currently aiming for 45 as I think I will fall short, but even if I fall short I want it to be done by 50.

Retirement was something I was planning for even while I was in uni. My job is not my life. I want some things from life and I am determined to get those. Given my current situation I am almost definitely going to be able to do it by 50.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

IBM
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    I admire your ethics wise choices there, going for what you beleieve in & not afraid to work for it.
    Screw that! It's taken me five years of marriage and two kids to push me to the point where I am now, and I thank that higher power in the sky every single day for that particular brand of illumination. I'm still capable of being lazy and just not putting the work in, but a combination of need and satisfaction keeps pulling me in the right direction. I'm supposed to be starting an MBA this year, but I don't know if it's the best idea (a) the time issue, my company is just getting off the ground, and I don't know if I can afford to take the time for the studying (b) MBAs are overrated, a dedicated Masters degree would be a better idea, but only if I want to get back into the rat race....if I did the masters, everything I learnt would have to be practially applicable to my own company to make it worthwhile, otherwise it's just letters after my name and time away from my family.

As for ethics...didn't you hear me? I want a killing zone with landmines! Landmines I tell you!
    sig removed by Zak33

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    As for ethics...didn't you hear me? I want a killing zone with landmines! Landmines I tell you!
    Personally I find an evil look & a Butcher's cleaver work just as well
    ONE house rule... you can't have a boyfriend I can't intimidate!
    [

IBM
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    Strangely enough I know exactly how difficult it is to achieve. I have had my meetings with my financial adviser and I am trying to work out how much I will need to save for that etc.

I am already thinking about pensions and am going to start contributing/investing within a month or so.

I graduated in Nov 06 and started work in May 07. I know how difficult it is, so I am currently aiming for 45 as I think I will fall short, but even if I fall short I want it to be done by 50.

Retirement was something I was planning for even while I was in uni. My job is not my life. I want some things from life and I am determined to get those. Given my current situation I am almost definitely going to be able to do it by 50.
    Another scary post , you're too long to be thinking like that. Dammit, I hate people like you!!

Seriously, kudos for the financial maturity....but one last thing. At 50 you're pretty much past it. Sorry to any 50 year olds, but in terms of doing many of the things you enjoy now...even up to more sedate activities like hiking or golf....you might find yourself severely limited. Once your knees go, you're screwed . So why wait to 50? Why work for someone else at all? Why not save for a few years, and put yourself out there, find a niche and start a company? Even if you screw it up, you'll still be young enough for other people to find your experience an excellent skill to have for their own company, and you'll have learnt all there is to learn about working hard and self discipline....

*stands back and waits for the over 50 flaming to begin*
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    I woudl love ot be rich, but also would like something to "do" when i was rich so a very involcing hobby or a small job..

But I am 19 as it stands so started earlier than most and am in the kind of job/environment where a degree is about as usefull as a chocolate kettle.. So i work for money, i enjoy it but what keeps me going back there 12 hours a day 6 days a week is me knowing that i am going to be very good at what i do and make silly amounts of money doing it.

As my manager said to me earlier when i moaned about not tying a deal this week, and the new guy had, he said good i want you to be pissed off, it shows drive, which to a degree is a typical sales managerr but hes right, it does piss me off, and i do want to be the best in the office week in week out.

But we shall see how it goes, the potential is there..

Thanks
    • Cloudane's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP edition
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo model 6400 @ 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 PC4200
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Western Digital SATA3.0GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 7900GS card 256MB (Leadtek, PCI Express)
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 400W
      • Case:
      • Aspire X-Discovery
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG L194WT 19" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • ADSL 2MB zen.co.uk
    Passionate about this subject, ibm?

I think it's easy, when you're the "high flyer" sort, to preach about it (note: I'm not having a pop!) and it's not the first time someone has said to me "you should be doing xyz" - usually relating to moving down to London and getting rich, and/or getting a girlfriend or something along those lines.

Some people such as myself are just happy with a simple life, I am aware that it may seem difficult to understand (I don't mean that in an offensive way, but I've yet to know a high flyer who does understand it and not try to "fix" it) but the various things that excite people... having a house with a garden, having a flash car, shagging like a rabbit, travelling the world, etc etc, none of it really interests me that much.

I'm happy as a pig in muck going to a nice easy (and "comfortably" paid) job, essentially doing what some of the rich do: paying to let someone else take the stress (except I do it by letting the managers have the bigger wages and bigger worries) then just going home, supping ale, having the odd wander outside or sitting around messing about on the net, bit of nice childish gaming, spot on. Don't need owt else!

"It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got" - sheryl crow I think.

That's not to say wealth doesn't help but I believe that stressing over wanting more and more, better and better, just means - by default - that you'll never be happy. Or that applies to me anyway...

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    TBH, once I have a 911 I'll be happy...

However, with a baby on the way, things'll be tight for the next few years...

IBM
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    But I am 19 as it stands so started earlier than most and am in the kind of job/environment where a degree is about as usefull as a chocolate kettle.. So i work for money, i enjoy it but what keeps me going back there 12 hours a day 6 days a week is me knowing that i am going to be very good at what i do and make silly amounts of money doing it.
    MMmmmmmmm....chocolate kettle......

As for the job angle, seems like you've got a good one....all luck to you...
    sig removed by Zak33

Vampire
    Thanks
    Another scary post , you're too long to be thinking like that. Dammit, I hate people like you!!

Seriously, kudos for the financial maturity....but one last thing. At 50 you're pretty much past it. Sorry to any 50 year olds, but in terms of doing many of the things you enjoy now...even up to more sedate activities like hiking or golf....you might find yourself severely limited. Once your knees go, you're screwed . So why wait to 50? Why work for someone else at all? Why not save for a few years, and put yourself out there, find a niche and start a company? Even if you screw it up, you'll still be young enough for other people to find your experience an excellent skill to have for their own company, and you'll have learnt all there is to learn about working hard and self discipline....

*stands back and waits for the over 50 flaming to begin*
    I am going to be working for myself within 1 year or so. Even now I am effectively working for myself.

I am not entirely intending to wait till 50. I will be doing everything I want to during my holidays and such. Comfortable life is something I will have on the way - probably within 2 years or so. Cars etc will all be catered for on the way. Again, I wont be splashing out stupid amounts of money without sorting out my retirement and funds for children's studies etc. But if I have a satisfactory amount done for that there are a lot of things I wouldnt mind having. I dont think I am materialistic for the sake of having things, just to do certain things the way I want to - live life on my terms. That takes money. When I have children I also want to be around at home, spend time with them - Again freedom to be home takes money.

I am relatively happy now, and I think I will maintain my levels of happiness as things change (hopefully for the better). But I would appreciate being more comfortable ...

50 seems a nice round age. My dad is 50 this year - He is not really over the hill. Fair enough he might not go bungee jumping or endurance racing, but he is fit enough to do most other things.

What I would like to do when I retire is to travel in style and improve my photography skills. These aims might change slowly over time. I also picked 50 because that is probably when any kids I have will be sent off to uni.

Sorry if the post got slightly fragmented, but I was trying to add things as I thought of them. And it is hard to explain most of one's philosophy in one post in a few paragraphs.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

IBM
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Passionate about this subject, ibm?

I think it's easy, when you're the "high flyer" sort, to preach about it (note: I'm not having a pop!) and it's not the first time someone has said to me "you should be doing xyz" - usually relating to moving down to London and getting rich, and/or getting a girlfriend or something along those lines.

Some people such as myself are just happy with a simple life, I am aware that it may seem difficult to understand (I don't mean that in an offensive way, but I've yet to know a high flyer who does understand it and not try to "fix" it) but the various things that excite people... having a house with a garden, having a flash car, shagging like a rabbit, travelling the world, etc etc, none of it really interests me that much.

I'm happy as a pig in muck going to a nice easy (and "comfortably" paid) job, essentially doing what some of the rich do: paying to let someone else take the stress (except I do it by letting the managers have the bigger wages and bigger worries) then just going home, supping ale, having the odd wander outside or sitting around messing about on the net, bit of nice childish gaming, spot on. Don't need owt else!

"It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got" - sheryl crow I think.

That's not to say wealth doesn't help but I believe that stressing over wanting more and more, better and better, just means - by default - that you'll never be happy. Or that applies to me anyway...
    Then I must be an exception to the rule. I understand perfectly the simple pleasures, and their allure. If it wasn't for my family (wife and kids) pushing me in the direction I've gone, I could be one of those people. I'm not an over achiever, nor did what I've done, or who I've become come easily to me. I've been forced to work hard to get here, and I'm glad I was, because I get a sense of achievement from it, and that's my satisfaction. I know it doesn't work for everyone, and I love the live and let live mentality.

However, I've had a fair amount of experience dealing with people of the older generation who lament, almost universally, about their wish that they'd worked harder/tried harded/ saved more so they weren't so miserable now. After all, how many people does it take telling you that working harder and making more of yourself means you'll be happier later? Short term isn't everything, but for some people it is....I hope that you are one of those people, because people who can enjoy life at such a low key level deserve to have a low key life.

Unfortunately life, and the world, are both bitches, and will try to screw you every step of the way. If the goverment doesn't get you, then recession might, if recession doesn't get you, then illness will, if illness doesn't get you....you get the idea....
    Last edited by IBM; 12-07-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    sig removed by Zak33

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    Well, my career is fairly straight forward. I can "retire" in 20 years time at 45 if I wanted to. My job is actually pretty secure as enough people want out to meet redundacy numbers, so if you want the job, it's yours to keep. That and the fact my trade is one of the key ground trades, so is highly unlikely to be contracted out (like so many of the other trades are nowadays). I must admit I am very much in my "comfort zone", as the job doesn't really challenge or stress me at the moment, and probably never will (excluding battle ). Even if it does all go tits up for whatever reason, I still have good qualifications and experience to fall back on.

A good perk of the job for me at the moment is that I have no debts (excluding a Student Loan, but that doesn't count ) and the money I get paid after tax is mine. Don't have any bills or food to pay for . As such, I have manged to save a bit of money up and will be able to continue to do so until I get a property of my own. Even then, I am paying very little "dead money" in rent to allow me to wait and see if this housing crash ever happens.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information