• Real

5 38.46%
  • Mindpiss

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New job, sales!

Thanks

New job, sales!

Right, been looing for another job for a while, and for the last few days Ive been at interviews and training for a sales job. Everyone I know thinks Im far too honest for sales though

But there are a few things that I just dont get... one huge mindpiss. It doesnt work. It cant.

In this day and age, no products are sold only by sales persons. There is *no* advantage to it, even if the product is really expensive and only apprechated after being demonstrated. The ONLY reson for sales people to still exist is to sell crap that doesnt work, and to scam people - mostly this.

In which case I must ask is it really me that is being scammed?

Yet this job, I am to demonstrate a product for customers - which for purposes of my new job, im not going to say what it is - but its not double glazing. I wont actually be doing the sale part of it, just demonstrating and making the customer want it.

BUT, Ive seen the product, its been demonstrated to me just like I will to customers, and its real, and its GOOD. Another mindpiss here.. for such a basic type of item it is FAAAAR better than the competition products....

Real or scam?

(I am aware that if this job is real, it will probably turn me into a nasty evil sales person...)

Tech-ignorant Factoid
    Thanks

Re: New job, sales!

I thought the ads were there to show people about new things, and then it's up to the consumer to decide for themselves whether they want to try it out... If it's as good as it says, word of mouth helps the sales along... if not, 'tried and tested' products are still there for the buying.

I don't see the need for manual demonstrations, everything these days is related via technology and self proof

3. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Thanks

It varies a lot between companies and industries, sadly.

Once upon a time, the sales representatives in a certain industry actually existed to educate customers and sold via the merits of the product for specific uses. Now the industry trend is to do a short song-and-dance at these highly educated customers. However, some companies are bucking the trend, and by returning to merits and education, the free market does seem to be working.

Nothing sucks more than having to sell a product that you know to be poor in comparison to the competition. Nothing is as joyful as selling a genuinely excellent product and feeling like you are really helping people

5. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

The problem with sales people, just look at the apprentice, a bigger slice of the looser population of the UK you'd be hard pressed to find, practically all of them work in sales.

Sales people are still needed, often to explain complex questions about your product, and how it differs from the competitors, its just too many end up as double glazing sales people.

I bought a kitchen a few months ago, the second most expensive purchase of my life. One of the sales persons (kitchensdirect, seam to be a useless company) that if i ordered it today, paying a deposit i'd get 50% off, where as if i orded it the day after i'd only be elegable for 30% off. He seamed very shocked when i asked him to leave, and told him off for wasting my time. But the thing is, that must work on some people, or he is just very stupid (quite possibly both?).

Yeh with the 3rd most expensive item i bought (TV) i found the sales people very helpful, who did practically everything they could to help me (even arranging for the delivery to be at 7pm).

I'd say its a simple fact of the majority giving the minority the bad name
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

7. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Sales reps will vary depending on the product, some industries rely on intensive marketing to stay afloat, others will only have them because it's expected by the customers. Generally speaking the easiest way to tell the difference is based on the commission offered, and the marketing spiel you're supposed to give.

If the pitch uses things like "if you order today" or "special price just because you're you" then you're evil souless sales people

If the pitch runs more like "well, this is useful in these circumstances" or "what would you like to know" then you tend to be working for a better company.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

9. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Thanks

As a sales person you should be there to give the customers all they need to make an informed decision about what they're buying. There is very much a need for sales people as there are a lot of people out there who don't know what they are doing with a lot of things and they need guidance.

The point at which it becomes evil and scammy is when the sales person does things like TheAnimus mentioned of going "buy this NOW and you'll get x...", or when they use the customer's ignorance to big-up an inferior product just because it gets them 50p more commission than the one they'd buy themselves.

Treat your customers like people not purses, be patient with them and inform them about your products rather than giving biased opinions and you will end up with people coming back just to see you, and that's where the money comes in. It works, I've done it and even had one couple move house and then drive 30 miles past 2 other same-chain stores just to come and see me again in the past because I was honest and didn't try to scam them.

Of course if your product doesn't benefit from repeat-sales then you can be as evil as you like!
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!!

11. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

la la la
    Thanks

Sales is not neccesaarily about selling the product.

Its having the right attitude and making them buy into you, unless your cold calling then the people would be looking at said item as it interested them anyway.

You will find that some sales people will take shortcuts. When its your job and you have a mortage to pay then thinking of people as people rather than a sale is hard to do.

If you can get the balance right of closing people, and also offering a freindly and professional approach you can make a lot of money

also remember, that not everyone like us spends hours on the pc reading about new products and internet deals ect. Many people will go to somewhere to buy something and listen to what they are told.

I only buy in shops now if I can, I dont like internet shopping, I want it now, and I want an easy return if I need it

13. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Thanks

Thanks, these replys are helpfull

First demo went great today, it was with a neighbour and although he didnt buy it, he does want it, only its more than he is willing to pay for said item.

Also I have found the one good thing about royal mail, maybe the only thing. They are letting me have 3 months of special leave so I can try this oppertunity and if it doesnt work I can go back - probably to a better position companys dont value you untill they lose you.

Thanks

As in every trade there are good & bad salespeople.
    taking retail sales (i.e. supermarkets) out of the equation there are also 2 general types of sale - the 1-off & those that are looking for regular repeat business.
    Terrible generalisation but the 1-off sale will tend to be higher pressure & probably done by a more commission incentivised sales person.

Personality comes into it as well, some people thrive on the challenge & some get demoralised by getting no as an answer on a regular basis.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

16. Received thanks from:

SilentDeath (16-05-2008)

Thanks

I done another demo just now, took 3 hours and then I should add I am only half done. There is SO MUCH to do that I cant even remember. I skipped a good half of the talking.

A pro can do this demonstration in an hour, my trainer can do all the talking in 15 mins listening to it that fast will melt your brain.

This is a 1-off sale business Im working in, I havent met the pressure yet but the responsibilty and what Im expected to do is fun.

I done lots of door to door cold calling (about 20 houses) earlyer becuase I wasnt meeting a target, it didnt matter though as im ahead now, but I was doing it compleatly wrong. However I realise most people just wont be interested and at worst you get a door thrown in your face, at best (of worst) you waste 5 minutes of somones time. For now I think maybe 1 in 30 (well chosen! its very targetted) houses will let me in like this. Maybe less.... one was close earlyer

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDeath View Post
    I done lots of door to door cold calling (about 20 houses) earlyer becuase I wasnt meeting a target, it didnt matter though as im ahead now, but I was doing it compleatly wrong. However I realise most people just wont be interested and at worst you get a door thrown in your face, at best (of worst) you waste 5 minutes of somones time. For now I think maybe 1 in 30 (well chosen! its very targetted) houses will let me in like this. Maybe less.... one was close earlyer
    Door to door selling? yuck! That's even worse than cold calling....

Whatever you're selling it can't be all that great if that's how the company wants to sell it.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

I'll put it like this for myself:

I'm sick of sales from most angles
    Customers:
    I'm sick of being called a liar when I know damn well what I am selling
    I'm sick of being looked at like I'm the son of the devil for offering extra cover I am meant to
    I'm sick of being talked down to because I am trying to talk someone out of a bad decision (e.g. crap laptop for £400, or better one at £350....which would you choose?)

Performance:
    Sick of getting a basic wage with 'bonuses' to sell stuff, and rarely getting a lot of bonus due to the 'team' not acheiving targets
    Sick of having to sell overpriced things like memory cards and in some cases lie about them to bump up my sales.

Management:
    Sick of never being good enough compared to the 'big guns' (FFS I set a shop record one week, broke it the next)
    Sick of having my performance trivialised into key sales regions and being demoralised for missing my personal targets for 3 weeks, how about the fact that those 2 weeks I broke those targets I did more in one area than most of the other members of staff did over 2 weeks TOTAL

It really gets to me, thing is sales can be very high stress, and as a student as well, I feel more pressure to perform (worked in one company for 6 months now, I am expected to be at a standard of people workign there for 10 years.....in half the time I am at work)

Sorry but it does get to me.

Past week I have just not bothered with the salesperson crap and just told people what is best for what they want, no selling up, nothing.....where did it get me today? 2nd best in the shop in all but 1 area..........
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

la la la
    Thanks

Mate, you dont know the half of it.

PC world aint **** compared to some places.

There is huge competition in estate agency, and also advertising.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
    Mate, you dont know the half of it.

PC world aint **** compared to some places.

There is huge competition in estate agency, and also advertising.
    I don't work for DsGi

I work for a 'better' company apparently
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks

done all types of sales since i was 16 (24 now) and it is by far and away the worst job type of all - thats why im going to be a teacher

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Come on then, SilentDeath, what are you selling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information