Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Job wanted?

Thanks

Job wanted?

CV's sometimes appear around Hexus with people keen to maximise the description of their skills to improve their chances of that high paid job in the City. I wonder how many of the hopeful have considered the alternative of not working?

Choosing not to work will affront capitalist society (your taxes are needed) and may disappoint your parents but working may grind you into an automaton and you might suddenly find your job has distracted you from the very thing for which you're working: life.

H'ok, so like a job can seem an attractive proposition; a job can provide the things you want (or believe you should have). But there's a view that those who do work are either bribed (single people who want the latest gadgets/car/clothes) or blackmailed (married people who have mortgages/bills/standards to maintain).

Say you ignore the expected work ethic and choose not to work. Money will be tight; no car; no house of your own; no holidays abroad. Instead you get long summer walks, afternoon knaps, no time schedule and noone looking over your shoulder.

The trade off is one that many may not even consider. Most take a job. But is it the best decision?

ps the "Santa, you only work one day a year" has been done. Several times.

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Re: Job wanted?

But santa, you only work.... No?

To be honest, I think you're right. More and more so the way the British government is shafting middle-class people more and more and offering hand outs to people who don't get off their arse.

What's the point?! Beats me!

I'll still carry on working though, why? Because if I didn't I wouldn't know what to do in my spare time!

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Terrible... just terrible... That is not the philosophy that has made the UK into one of the biggest world super powers...
    Workers are needed for economy to run... for food... etc
    Besides isn't the JSA benefit cut if you are not actively job seeking?

Thanks

That just seems to be a rather selfish attitude. How can someone expect to live from proceeds that other people are working for. If someone wants to live the lifestyle you are proposing then they should have to support it themselves.

Viewing work as a bribe or blackmail to me would only be the case if i was doing a job that i hated, but then it would be a necessary means to an end because i've been brought up to look after myself and i would do anything to prevent having to rely on handouts.

In the end, my view is society should never provide help for people that first of all refuse to help themselves and i challenge anyone to provide a valid arguement against that.

5. Received thanks from:

JK Ferret (27-03-2008)

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

lol SiM, yeah - activly looking means you spend 10minutes in the local Jobseekers once a week. People make a total mock of the system.

People should have a maximum 24months of JSA support when they're born. Once they've used it, tough. If you're stupid enough to use it when you don't need it and later you do, then tough.

Rather than give handouts the government should make giant buildings, 20 to a room with bunkbeds and serve cheapo food. Anyone mucks around they're thrown out. No extra money but provide help with CV's and some free clothing. People who ARE trying to get on their feet will be very thankful, those who want drugs money won't get it.

Probably more expensive in the short term but cheaper and much better for society and the economy in the long term.

Thanks

In my world, money would be tight whether I worked or not - it's just a little bit easier because I have a job. I happen to quite enjoy my job too, although it does drive me mental on occasions - and that I think is the biggie - yeah you gotta work to pay the bills etc, but if you don't enjoy your work then it will seem like blackmail. If you enjoy what you do, it's a bonus and it makes working a worthwhile activity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Interesting idea Gr44... I don't think it will go down well politically... also maybe, those who have never paid taxes should lose voting rights too...

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

been unemployed for nearly 7 years, couldn't agree more.. although money does come in handy, theres plenty of stuff i need that i can't afford. quad core phenoms with dual 3870x2's and a new NAD T875 don't buy themselves now do they?

on the job front, if you can find a job that you love doing and it pays well, then get it at all costs. although volunteerings nice aswell, you don't get paid but you meet tonnes of wierd and wonderfull people. scooters are great, and i know how to make them go 8mph instead of 3, saves walking.. just dont get in my way

as for SiMs question on JSA, if you don't do enough to look for work while claiming then your benifits get cut/stopped for a bit, you get a nice man coming round your house to check what you're doing, and then they try to subtly make you stop claiming, then you sign off and they keep glaring at you every time you walk past the building... ho hum.

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    Interesting idea Gr44... I don't think it will go down well politically... also maybe, those who have never paid taxes should lose voting rights too...
    Yes, that's a good one! You should pay a minimum in tax to get your vote... ( not a lot, obviously - just enough to say you aren't a complete tool )

You're right, my idea would be political suicide, but wouldn't any decent idea be? Politics isn't there for the best of society, it's just a race for power.

Oh, also, I've always said that people who want power are the last who should have it. Theres only one reason you run for to be the PM.

Thanks

I can't honestly believe that a massive proportion of the unemployed that live on benefits actually vote. It would be interesting to know the figure but if they're too lazy to get off their arses and work then they're probably too lazy to vote

Tech-ignorant Factoid
    Thanks

Tbh, I couldn't put it any better than kasavien.

The lifestyle does sound good santa, but surely that's what your holiday time is for? Time off to relax and unwind before helping the general economy again.

EMA is there for youngsters who want to make a better life for themselves. That's all well and good.

JSA is all well and good too, but the method they use for 'proving' you're looking for work is rubbish, tbh. You could just say, 'oh yeah I went and filled out an application for Tesco, and I handed a CV into Sainsburys' and they'll believe you. Why do they not check? The whole system is completely inefficient, and could do with a reform.

edit: grr you all post too fast

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Quote Originally Posted by kasavien View Post
    I can't honestly believe that a massive proportion of the unemployed that live on benefits actually vote. It would be interesting to know the figure but if they're too lazy to get off their arses and work then they're probably too lazy to vote
    Yeah... of course they do.

They hear Labour will give them an extra £5 a week and Conservatives will try and stop benefits for people who claim unjustly.

I know who I'd vote for if I was a bum.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post
    Yes, that's a good one! You should pay a minimum in tax to get your vote... ( not a lot, obviously - just enough to say you aren't a complete tool )

You're right, my idea would be political suicide, but wouldn't any decent idea be? Politics isn't there for the best of society, it's just a race for power.
    lol, but if the unemployed can't vote, then it might not be as bad politically as if they could! and if all parties back it then there is no avoiding it anyway...
    sorry stevie, no vote for you... although I do think it is good that you do volunteer work... respect
    maybe you can keep your vote then.

Another idea would be compulsory national service for the unemployed...

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

You can't not work and still expect to be provided for.

And before anyone rants at me about capitalism, I'm not just talking about quitting your job. You could quit and shy away from the grind everyone else does but you'd still have to work every day of your life just to survive. Finding your food, providing shelter etc. Really you'd just be going back to a way of life our ancestors lived.

Just don't expect anyone else to provide anything for you if you don't pull your own weight. Ultimately capitalism (and communism) are just the end result of the theory that while one man can provide for himself, when they work together they can provide exponentially more. The two different ideologies may differ wildly in their practice but they are both means to the same end.

So sure, quit your job, just don't expect the world you've turned your back on to respect that decision.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Quote Originally Posted by JK Ferret View Post
    EMA is there for youngsters who want to make a better life for themselves. That's all well and good.
    EMA is as bigger joke as the JSA.

Kids can only get EMA grant if their parents earn under a certain amount. Which in theory is fine, in practice the people who are poor as anything get EMA and their parents drink it, the middle class are just over the limit and struggle even more with debt to continue supporting their kids + pay for the added expense invovled.

Tax-dodgers kids who are worth a fair amount but get cash in hand get the grant.

The kids with 'rich' parents don't get the grant, but it doesn't mean the kid actually gets any of the money their parents earn! Although they probably have a better life at home the parents in many cases probably expect the kids to pay for their books/lunches etc.

Very generlised, of course - but just trying to show why it's another broken system.

Tech-ignorant Factoid
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post
    EMA is as bigger joke as the JSA.

Kids can only get EMA grant if their parents earn under a certain amount. Which in theory is fine, in practice the people who are poor as anything get EMA and their parents drink it, the middle class are just over the limit and struggle even more with debt to continue supporting their kids + pay for the added expense invovled.

Tax-dodgers kids who are worth a fair amount but get cash in hand get the grant.

The kids with 'rich' parents don't get the grant, but it doesn't mean the kid actually gets any of the money their parents earn! Although they probably have a better life at home the parents in many cases probably expect the kids to pay for their books/lunches etc.

Very generlised, of course - but just trying to show why it's another broken system.
    Quite right, I completely forgot about all that.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information