• PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    least you took the slap mate...fair play.

no sit down and behave

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen
    Without picking on you, TeePee, because that remark was bound to happen sooner or later, let me say here and now that this is exactly what this forum DOES NOT NEED.

This is a ladies forum, and it doesn't need the blokes in here oggling. The idea is for the ladies to be comfortable in here, and if we're going to have what I would class as a "teenage" response, they might have well have posted in GD.

Blokes, your presence here is very tentative. A bit of respect for the ladies please, or this forum goes 'Ladies Only' and the blokes get locked out. When posting, err on the side of courtesy, please.
    Sorry to interrupt the thread Saracen, I would like to start one elsewhere but feel i would be questioning hexus moderators judgement (not something i want to do). But having a ladies lounge is like a advert to say WET PAINT, human instinct is to touch the damn thing to see if its wet. I have to say i'm only here because i'm interested in this "EXPERIMENT".

I believe if blokes can read these threads then you will likely get these sort of comments, but as the internet is genderless then how would you suggest locking people out would help?. How do you know Teepee wasn't a girl etc. Is it only blokes that can't make stupid comments? to these threads?.

Again sorry to interrupt thread please delete if unappropriate - no hard feelings would be felt.
    TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    We wont delete it......its well worded

Its up to us mere mortals to decide if its out of context...its a Modding job. Its hard but its possible.

so if a LADY mentioned summit similar we'd knock it back....if it looked wrong. Lets face it....that one did.

We KNOW its gonna take some moderating......but here's Zaks input.

IF ANYONE MESSES WITH THIS FORUM and gets outta hand, I'll sort them with my big stick with rusty nails in it.

No threat...fact

Now move along....nowt to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    I think it's quite sad that we have to have a seperate "Ladies Forum" so they can feel comfortable. I think they should feel comfortable in ANY forum posting ANYTHING (within reason of course)...

Maybe this is the stepping stone that these "girlies" need....?

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead_Head
    I think it's quite sad that we have to have a seperate "Ladies Forum" so they can feel comfortable. I think they should feel comfortable in ANY forum posting ANYTHING (within reason of course)...

Maybe this is the stepping stone that these "girlies" need....?
    What is the big deal in giving us something which we wanted? theres nothing stopping you from comeing in here and posting.... the way i remember it is that people didnt like us asking lady questions.

cos if you remember when i first suggested this, it got knocked back and was told to participate more in GD so we do and then we get whinged at, cos the guys didnt like reading about elmos bra problems, or my PMT... so really we cant win can we?

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    Sorry to interrupt the thread Saracen, I would like to start one elsewhere but feel i would be questioning hexus moderators judgement (not something i want to do). But having a ladies lounge is like a advert to say WET PAINT, human instinct is to touch the damn thing to see if its wet. I have to say i'm only here because i'm interested in this "EXPERIMENT".

I believe if blokes can read these threads then you will likely get these sort of comments, but as the internet is genderless then how would you suggest locking people out would help?. How do you know Teepee wasn't a girl etc. Is it only blokes that can't make stupid comments? to these threads?.

Again sorry to interrupt thread please delete if unappropriate - no hard feelings would be felt.
    TiG
    I have no problem with you querying, or even disagreeing with an ADMIN's () judgement, mate. As Zak said, well worded. I like the paint analogy.

This forum is something of an experiment. Like any new forum, it may or may not last. It remains to be seen how it goes.

The forum is here for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the Girls asked for it. I must admit to not being convinced, personally, as I said when they asked. But we've thought about it and decided to give it a try.

Also, whenever the one of the girls posted a "girly" thread in GD, it did tend to disappear in a barrage of juvenile teenage angst. I can understand why the girls didn't feel entirely comfortable posting some threads in there. On the other hand, we are a technical forum with a largely male, and largely young, membership. So some schoolboy posts are hardly surprising.

Hence the separate forum.

If one of the girls wants to post a "girly" thread in GD, they can hardly be surprised if it gets the 'teenage boy' response - and they'll get little sympathy from us if it happens, from now, in GD.

BUT, in here, you are in the Ladies boudoir, and the boys (and men) in here damn well will mind their P's and Q's.

But let me make it clear - it's the Mod's in here that run the forum, not the girls. We won't pander to the girls, and we won't be given the run around. We WILL be keeping this forum running in line with the style we've set out (i.e. Girly) but that does NOT mean that any bloke in here that disagrees gets booted. It means that we expect blokes to treat the ladies with some courtesy, even if disagreeing. Disparaging or insulting remarks from the blokes will get them booted out. Rational disagreement will not.

Because this forum is totally new to us, we've kind-of flying blind here. We will try to get the forum feel just right, but it might take us a while. In the meantime, we reserve the right to tweak and just forum style accordingly.

PS. No, I won't redecorate this room in pink. The current colours can do.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lynni
    cos if you remember when i first suggested this, it got knocked back and was told to participate more in GD so we do and then we get whinged at, cos the guys didnt like reading about elmos bra problems, or my PMT... so really we cant win can we?
    Quite so.

That's largely why this forum is now here. Personally, I still feel that it should all be in GD, but if people aren't going to behave nicely in GD, then we'll have a Ladies forum here - at least until we see if it works or not.

What we WON'T tolerate is GD-style dissing of 'girly' posts in here.

If the blokes don't want to read girly posts, or comment sensibly, they should stay the hell out.

Having said that, we ARE a largely male-dominated techy forum so it may simply be that bra problems and PMT issues aren't really the right material for HEXUS. We certainly don't pretend to cater for all the whims of all members. We'll give the Ladies forum a fair crack of the whip, but it IS an experiment. All forums are, of course, but this is well off the beaten track for us and, for that matter, for any "techy" forum I know of.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quite so.

That's largely why this forum is now here. Personally, I still feel that it should all be in GD, but if people aren't going to behave nicely in GD, then we'll have a Ladies forum here - at least until we see if it works or not.

What we WON'T tolerate is GD-style dissing of 'girly' posts in here.

If the blokes don't want to read girly posts, or comment sensibly, they should stay the hell out.

Having said that, we ARE a largely male-dominated techy forum so it may simply be that bra problems and PMT issues aren't really the right material for HEXUS. We certainly don't pretend to cater for all the whims of all members. We'll give the Ladies forum a fair crack of the whip, but it IS an experiment. All forums are, of course, but this is well off the beaten track for us and, for that matter, for any "techy" forum I know of.
    Aye maybe so and i agree with what your saying but this is our Hexus as well, we should be allowed to talk about what we want within reason its not like were whinging to a bunch of guys and happen to be the only female on the 'forum books' is it? there is enough of us now posting here, for us to be able to post 'girl talk' and not get slagged for it...

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    My view is that as long as it isn't a rule break, you shouldn't be getting slagged off for anything you post. I wish people would contribute to threads they are interested in, and just ignore ones they aren't interested in. But there are a variety of circumstances in which many people don't seem to be able to hold their own peace - and 'girly' posts seem to be one of them.

Forget the other considerations about what you 'should' be able to post, for a minute, and think about the practical issues. So, a hypothetical for you ......

.....someone posts a 'girly' thread (say about bra problems, just as a for-instance) and it gets an unhelpful dosing of juvenile remarks. What, as Moderators, do we do about it?

One option is ... ignore it. But then it destroys the thread and leaves some female members feeling agrieved because any 'girly' threads are ruined.

Another option is to crack down on the flippant comments. But, we don't really want to implement a regime where people are wondering whether something they post will drop them in the poop. We really want to keep the forum as open and liberal as we can. But walking that is, ALWAYS, a fine line.

This forum is, on one level, a practical solution to a problem, designed to make the maximum number of people happy while causing the minimum trouble/inconvenience to everyone else. It seems to us to be the best solution to the above practical problem.

Thanks
    Quite so.
    Yep, very true. This is off the beaten track for a tech forum, just like (if only to a lesser degree) the hotpot.

But to counter the above point, isn't that in some way what hexus is about, catering to it's users and not being 'just another' tech forum? I for one feel that branching out a little, without diluting the core of a tech forum adds depth and character to hexus, making it all the more better.

*Edit*

My humble apologies to Hidden Spirit for dragging her thread even further off topic, sorry
    Last edited by Crazy Cricket; 13-05-2004 at 01:07 AM. Reason: amendment

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cricket
    Yep, very true. This is off the beaten track for a tech forum, just like (if only to a lesser degree) the hotpot.

But to counter the above point, isn't that in some way what hexus is about, catering to it's users and not being 'just another' tech forum? I for one feel that branching out a little, without diluting the core of a tech forum adds depth and character to hexus, making it all the more better.
    Yes, indeed, but the HotPot analogy is a good example of an experiment that might have been expected to fail on a forum like this, but has proved to be a great success. It's exactly what I was getting at earlier. This forum was created because of user demand. The converse side to that is that we have to decide if anything we do adds to or detracts from the forums overall. Just because users want it doesn't mean we'll do it - it has to be compatible with our overall objectives too. We can't be all things to all people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cricket
    *Edit*

My humble apologies to Hidden Spirit for dragging her thread even further off topic, sorry
    Ditto.

If Hidden Spirit wishes, and lets me know, I'll split this thread into her original post and the answers, and a separate thread with the digressions.

Thanks
    That's ok, I don't mind

Lynni! Got a tip for you on how to get plasters off painlessly (haven't tried it myself, so don't know for sure though). Rub some baby oil over the plaster and round the outside of it, leave for a min or 2 and it *should* come off with no pain

Thanks
    You have to admit though, this thread topic is like waving a red flag to a bull...

Thanks
    If it was in GD then yes ok I would agree. Hence the reason I didn't post it in GD. I have faith in the Hexus forum members that they are mature enough not to post silly comments in here

Thanks
    *drags the thread back on topic*

I've thought about waxing.... and thought.... and thought some more.... then chickened out....

I just tend to go for the good old razor approach! immac (or veet, whatever) doesnt work. the waxing strips are poo and the cream stinks and is just a waste of my pennies! I should really pluck up the courage to go get waxed really... *sigh*

I've left
    Thanks
    Without trying to sound vulgar, i have been shaving for a few years now, and it never even grows back enough to wax! Same goes with my eyebrows, I have plucked them for years and if i sometimes accidently pluck too much off, it doesnt seem to grow back as much! Does this happen to anyone else?
    Last edited by Cat Woman; 13-05-2004 at 04:54 PM.
    There's a thin person in every fat person.....that's because they just ate them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information