Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The end of the PC as we know it?

Thanks

Re: The end of the PC as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    they can rebrand hard drives as "cloud cache devices"!
    Add 20% to the price if it (nee anything) has the "Cloud Compatible" logo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    I think that what we're seeing is a splintering of the PC.
    I'm seeing a lot of laptops where there used to be desktops, and a lot of tablets/phones where there used to be laptops. None of these are going away, just more ways of doing things. I think that a desktop home PC hub may well morph into a media centre / home server that runs most of the home, whilst all the casual stuff is done on tablets.
    yeah, basically you have a home server and that stores your data and can do processing, and other devices can connect to it, such as your tv and hifi and stream music/movies/tv shows or access the internet (or a few things at once), and likewise your laptop, netbook, tablet, phone can do the same when you are either at home or elsewhere, and you can use another desktop/laptop/whatever to log in from another location such as at work or on holiday and do the same

with the idea being that your home server has a lot of processing power and just "pushes" the data to the other devices that don't need to be very powerful, and thus can be light and have long battery length, or you can use a thin client at work

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    yeah, basically you have a home server and that stores your data and can do processing, and other devices can connect to it, such as your tv and hifi and stream music/movies/tv shows or access the internet (or a few things at once), and likewise your laptop, netbook, tablet, phone can do the same when you are either at home or elsewhere, and you can use another desktop/laptop/whatever to log in from another location such as at work or on holiday and do the same

with the idea being that your home server has a lot of processing power and just "pushes" the data to the other devices that don't need to be very powerful, and thus can be light and have long battery length, or you can use a thin client at work
    That's called a VPN. A good few years ago (approx 6-7) I texted a mate of mine cos his PC was on standby so his VPN was off and I wanted some data. He was in Singapore at the time and his PC was in Wokingham. 5 mins later I got a text saying he'd turned his PC on and the VPN was now up. I do the same thing now - I can access all my data no matter where I am as long as I have a connection - friends and family also have access to certain files too. I've been using "the cloud" for 14 years - it's called hotmail (and any other site like flickr etc)

All this cloud stuff is nonsense, a marketing buzz-word, it's just a way for companies to sell the uneducated more rubbish, lock them into those products and then charge them for using them. Let alone the security problems of having your private data stored by a company that has servers in countries that might not protect your privacy. With PCs so cheap and powerful and storage for data costing peanuts I can't see why anyone would want to keep their data on the cloud. You've got to back it up anyway so what's the point?
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Give me a PC with Windows 7 and I can do anything I want. Not forgetting if you want gaming Windows PC will always be the leader with all the cutting edge stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    That's called a VPN. A good few years ago (approx 6-7) I texted a mate of mine cos his PC was on standby so his VPN was off and I wanted some data. He was in Singapore at the time and his PC was in Wokingham. 5 mins later I got a text saying he'd turned his PC on and the VPN was now up. I do the same thing now - I can access all my data no matter where I am as long as I have a connection - friends and family also have access to certain files too. I've been using "the cloud" for 14 years - it's called hotmail (and any other site like flickr etc)

All this cloud stuff is nonsense, a marketing buzz-word, it's just a way for companies to sell the uneducated more rubbish, lock them into those products and then charge them for using them. Let alone the security problems of having your private data stored by a company that has servers in countries that might not protect your privacy. With PCs so cheap and powerful and storage for data costing peanuts I can't see why anyone would want to keep their data on the cloud. You've got to back it up anyway so what's the point?
    the security thing is one thing, but like a recent case, what happens if they lose your data? you have no backup if you are on the cloud only

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    Just stop and think for a moment, all the time and cost that's actually involved, a couple of hundred pounds for a basic PC, hour or two to configure the OS (and thats if you know what you're doing, longer if you're learning), then you have to either sort out a static IP or a way to let yourself and other users know what it is. Then after all that, you have to sort out your backup routine on a regular basis and deal with any maintainence and security.

Or

you could spend a few mintues signing up for an online account and a day or so to upload your data

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Apple invented everything, they just havent told us yet..

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

[There's planned down time ever night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord.]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information