Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Packet Of Cancer Sticks Please.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo
    Reminds me of Stargate: SG1 - Series 2, Episode 9 where Daniels wife, Sha're returns to Abydos by order of Apophis. She's pregnant with his baby and the Goa'uld within her hibernates in order to protect the babys welfare. However, the parasite reawakens the moment that the baby is born.
    Well, quite.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Erm.......anyway.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo
    Reminds me of Stargate: SG1 - Series 2, Episode 9 where Daniels wife, Sha're returns to Abydos by order of Apophis. She's pregnant with his baby and the Goa'uld within her hibernates in order to protect the babys welfare. However, the parasite reawakens the moment that the baby is born.
    True story, that!
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Next time you are looking at those warning stickers and feeling guilty about lighting up take a look over at http://www.fakefags.co.uk/stickers.asp?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    Why should we stop chavs from smoking? I mean, smoking kills, and when it comes to chavs, isn't that a good thing?

Actually, no. Since the chavs live long enough to breed, and so ensuring the next generation of mentally sub-standard chavs, deprived of what little IQ genetics allows them by a mother who smoked during pregnancy, and continuing the reverse in our evolution, where natural selection is favouring not the best and brightest, but the illiterate chav-scum who can spawn the most offspring.
    ROFL now that made me laugh
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by silent ben
    They shoudl make the tax something like £10, that way smokers would actually pay for how much they cost the country instead of being subsadised (sp?) by all of us non-smokers. Might make some people quit as well, rising the tax 10P a time doesn't really put anyone off.

Ben
    you got it the wrong way round, smokers are the ones who are pumping hunfred's of thousand's of pounds into the NHS majority of them being younger smokers now a days who won't need the treatment until much later on in life. If you stopped smoking through out the UK you would see the NHS crumble and adobt a pay as you visit scheme. The government would lose close to 30million pounds a week through all the smokers in the UK stopping, thats a lot of money to lose which the majority goes to the NHS

Thanks
    Smokers though pay about £3.40 a packet of 20 in tax which is mostly for the NHS so amokers frankly do pay for their use of the NHS. However as was mentioned recently the huge bills are on caring for the elderly, as smokers dont live that long in the main they are far cheaper than people who live to a ripe old age. So smokers reduce the burden on the tax payer not increase it all.

What I dont get is all the high and mighty statements from people that say "smoking is killing others around you as well" yeah righto so is your car, the average emissions from a 1.6 litre car for an hour equated to 52,000 cigarettes being smoked in terms of carbon monoxide and othe chemical emissions from cigarettes. (This might be aliitle old now did Transport a while back in Uni)

And you really think smoking is that bad for you? LOL Its going to be funny the day they ban all smoking to find they are still dying of other cancers, lung cancer is still one of the rare cancers to get only 10% chance its

>>>>>Heart Disease that kills<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    And what causes that oooooh yes Fatty food and no exercise but I dont see many vehement anti smokers out there getting fit and not eating junk food. And these people that do eat crap all day long and have strokes etc ? What do you pay for your NHS treatment as eating rubbish all day and not exercising can be avoided..........no?

Im a non smoker now but Ill never join in this with rubbish about anti smoking, smoking causes no where near the damage
    a) fast food causes (HEART DISEASE no 1 killer in US and UK)
    Also "Obesity" now rated as biggest threat to US health

b) Emissions (Industrial and vehicular) - causes huge increases in Asthma and all sorts of diseases

c) Panceatic/Breast cancer (Not caused by smoking but by far the biggest killer)

Hopefully youll not see this as a rant but too many people are falling onto the bandwagon with smoking whilst funnily enough ignoring the biggest threats to their health.
    Last edited by Romanov; 28-06-2004 at 02:28 PM.
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    Glad people are clearing up some of the myths associated with smoking - most of which are spread happily by the media... I especially hate the attitude in our society that it's ok to bash and hate smokers - just because they smoke. No goverment offical will ever say that smokers pay for the NHS - even though it's true.

The only time passive smoking will harm your health is if you're sat in a room with 50 smokers and no ventilation. Then quite frankly it's your own fault - no one forced you to be there. If you doubt how little polution cigarettes are causing compared to cars - try standing in a garage with a car engine running.

I don't agree with banning smoking in pubs either. If someone wants to open a non-smoking pub, then I'm all for it. Don't push your decision on to other people. You wouldn't presume to tell them they can't believe in God would you?

I am for the warning messages though - if they put one kid off smoking, then it's a very good thing. Smoking is very bad for you, and I've never met a smoker who didn't realise it was - sticking some leaves in your mouth, setting fire to them and inhaling the smoke - how the hell could it not be? (OK there are probably some people out there who believe it's good for them - but there are always loonies)

But smokers are generally a fairly polite bunch. They don't wake you up on a sunday morning to ask if you've heard the word of smokes. They don't declare stuff as "against the word of smoke". They don't have a fag then go and beat someone up.

We enough problems in this country without having to tell other people how to live their life.

(Smoked for 3 years gave up for 3 smoked again for a year, given up again - don't plan on going back)
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    Not getting into the health issues and tax and stuff... don't want to argue about that.. I just find the smell repulsive, and I resent having to have ANOTHER shower before I go to bed after a night out cos I can't stand smelling like a fish in a smoke-house in bed. Just my 2p - wouldn't catch me holding one.. no siree - but at the end of the day it's your choice - smoke if yaq want, just don't do it near me. Part of the reason I hardly go to the pub anymore tbh.. just don't enjoy it like I should...

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Glad people are clearing up some of the myths associated with smoking - most of which are spread happily by the media... I especially hate the attitude in our society that it's ok to bash and hate smokers - just because they smoke. No goverment offical will ever say that smokers pay for the NHS - even though it's true.

The only time passive smoking will harm your health is if you're sat in a room with 50 smokers and no ventilation. Then quite frankly it's your own fault - no one forced you to be there. If you doubt how little polution cigarettes are causing compared to cars - try standing in a garage with a car engine running.

I don't agree with banning smoking in pubs either. If someone wants to open a non-smoking pub, then I'm all for it. Don't push your decision on to other people. You wouldn't presume to tell them they can't believe in God would you?

I am for the warning messages though - if they put one kid off smoking, then it's a very good thing. Smoking is very bad for you, and I've never met a smoker who didn't realise it was - sticking some leaves in your mouth, setting fire to them and inhaling the smoke - how the hell could it not be? (OK there are probably some people out there who believe it's good for them - but there are always loonies)

But smokers are generally a fairly polite bunch. They don't wake you up on a sunday morning to ask if you've heard the word of smokes. They don't declare stuff as "against the word of smoke". They don't have a fag then go and beat someone up.

We enough problems in this country without having to tell other people how to live their life.

(Smoked for 3 years gave up for 3 smoked again for a year, given up again - don't plan on going back)
    Well said that man

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    just for thr record....smoking does raise blood pressure and is a major cause of heart attacks...not just the fatty food.

However....the tax on the fags pays for the NHS....of that I have no doubt. But its such a high tax, that lots of ciggies are illegal imports.

Therefore some of the smokers are paying for French defence budgets

Either way...while I dislike the smell of ciggy smoke on my clothes and in my hair after a night out, it doesnt bother me at the time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

I've left
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble
    Not getting into the health issues and tax and stuff... don't want to argue about that.. I just find the smell repulsive, and I resent having to have ANOTHER shower before I go to bed after a night out cos I can't stand smelling like a fish in a smoke-house in bed. Just my 2p - wouldn't catch me holding one.. no siree - but at the end of the day it's your choice - smoke if yaq want, just don't do it near me. Part of the reason I hardly go to the pub anymore tbh.. just don't enjoy it like I should...
    This is true, having non smoking sections in pubs and restaurants is like having a "no peeing" area in a pool (if you'll excuse the expression but it was the best example!)
    It can be a very anti social habit too, most of my friends smoke and when they come round they end up chatting outside all night therefore i miss out on the best conversations then i have to smell them when they come back in. Same rules go for a non smoking table in a restaurant on an occasion such as, my birthday
    Yes I am a reformed smoker! bitter bitter bitter
    There's a thin person in every fat person.....that's because they just ate them.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    The only time passive smoking will harm your health is if you're sat in a room with 50 smokers and no ventilation. Then quite frankly it's your own fault - no one forced you to be there.
    Valid points but /\ that sounds like a pub to me.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    nah, pubs have doors and windows open and big pubs like spoons have air con, cat woman does raise a valid point though, if we're sat in a none smoking section like we have in the past (its the only table in our local spoons big enough to hold us if all of us go down) then you do get a troop of people departing every 15/20minutes having they're own little conversations and returning, then a group will pop to the bar or something and everything ends up very fragmented and people miss out on alot of what goes on.

herbalist
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    nah, pubs have doors and windows open and big pubs like spoons have air con, cat woman does raise a valid point though, if we're sat in a none smoking section like we have in the past (its the only table in our local spoons big enough to hold us if all of us go down) then you do get a troop of people departing every 15/20minutes having they're own little conversations and returning, then a group will pop to the bar or something and everything ends up very fragmented and people miss out on alot of what goes on.
    i end up spendin most of my time sitting just inside the smoking section when i go with you lot, popping back to the table to be social every now n again. lol

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    to anyone who does smoke and says its impossible to give up or whatever...
    my ex girlfriend who last year kinda got slightly messed up and started taking durgs and errrm attempting to kill herself managed to stop smoking, taking drugs and cutting herself at 14 shes a B-C grade student and she overcame all that which i thought was amazing!
    she had smoking for a year...i dont know if it depends on the type of person u are or how long she had been smoking for? but is it really that hard to give up? how many smokers here reckon they could give up if they wanted to?

Ps she is now fine so no worries!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information