Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview!

Thanks

Interview!

woo! I have an interview for safeways tomorrow afternoon. Now, although i've had jobs before, i've never actually had an interview... so if anyone's got any tips, or if you've had an interview with safeway before can you gimme some clues as to the type of thing they'll ask?

I had a "test" yesterday which, seriously, was a piece of wee. "If mrs brown goes into a safeway store and purchases a tube of Brite White toothpaste (usual price £1) and she uses a 50p off voucher for it, how much does she pay?" - I'm not kidding, that was one of the questions!

I'm just basically wondering if they're going to ask me stupid questions like "what do you think you could bring to this store?" and "what values do you think you possess which would help you work in an environment like this?" - cos i'm POO at thinking up answers to that sort of thing! Oh, and if i should take a copy of my CV along?

Er...yeah i think that's about it

cheers m'dears

Thanks
    Safeways ?

Just grunt at the right moments - should suffice

Thanks
    lol, yeah i was thinking the same, but i was a bit shocked by the "could you come in and sit a TEST tomorrow morning" call the other day... since when did you have to sit a TEST to work in safeway?!? lol - Oh and i passed it btw which is why i get an interview

Thanks
    What was the test? What are peas? Can you walk? Tie your own shoe laces???? Yep, You're in

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    I'm just basically wondering if they're going to ask me stupid questions like "what do you think you could bring to this store?" and "what values do you think you possess which would help you work in an environment like this?" - cos i'm POO at thinking up answers to that sort of thing! Oh, and if i should take a copy of my CV along?
    What kinda job is it? They will be asking those questions if its anything like a sainsburys interview, along with stuff like "if a customer asks you where a product is what should you do?" I took my cv to all my interviews never needed it but better to be safe than sorry

n btw, how the hell did you get as far as an interview with your piercings when i can barely get an application half the time with mine

Thanks
    Prepare your answers first. Have a list of values which basically apply to everything, things like 'reliable, responsible, mature' etc and just reel them off on cue!

Thanks
    the test must be REALLY easy.. one of the geeps in Evesham (big big town for fruit and veg) had an argument with my dad over broad beans... cos he bought em still in the pods you see - uber fresh an all - and she refused to believe that they were broad beans "cos broad beans are small and round..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    They didn't ask me any of that bollocks when I had my interview(s) at Waitrose. Just asked me about myself, and when I did the group interview, we had to work in teams to arrange a set of qualities into order of importance
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    What kinda job is it? They will be asking those questions if its anything like a sainsburys interview, along with stuff like "if a customer asks you where a product is what should you do?" I took my cv to all my interviews never needed it but better to be safe than sorry

n btw, how the hell did you get as far as an interview with your piercings when i can barely get an application half the time with mine
    first i dont know yet, because they're wanting people for all over the shop, so i'll find out what i'm suited for today i suppose.

second, haha, well, the only truely visible facial piercing i have is my lip, and i put a retainter in, bit of cover up stick and it just looks like a tiny blemish Plus, the manager has her cartilage pierced The rest of mine are either covered up by my hair (ears), in my mouth (tongue) or covered up by clothes (the rest) oh, and i've got a clear bar in my tongue so unless i open my mouth really wide and someone's perticularly looking for a tongue piercing, you cant see it

Thanks
    right had me interview filled with silly questions like "think of a time when you worked on your own, how did you deal with it?" and "what would be the first thing you would do when operating heavy lifting machinery?" and "why did you apply to safeways"

went through the times i'd be able to work and if there was any dept i preferred to work in and that was about it!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    second, haha, well, the only truely visible facial piercing i have is my lip, and i put a retainter in, bit of cover up stick and it just looks like a tiny blemish Plus, the manager has her cartilage pierced The rest of mine are either covered up by my hair (ears), in my mouth (tongue) or covered up by clothes (the rest) oh, and i've got a clear bar in my tongue so unless i open my mouth really wide and someone's perticularly looking for a tongue piercing, you cant see it
    Dammit, I need long hair and some lipstick Always used to have theargument with supervisors that yes i had piercings but some of the checkout girls had more than me it was just covered a bit with hair, I lost in the end and had to cover most of my ear with plaster before every shift

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Why are companies still allowed to do that? Surely making you cover your piercings is as bad as asking a Seekh to take off his turban before every shift? Obviously you don't wear piercings because of religion, but it's just as bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al
    Why are companies still allowed to do that? Surely making you cover your piercings is as bad as asking a Seekh to take off his turban before every shift? Obviously you don't wear piercings because of religion, but it's just as bad.
    It's nothing alike. Comparing a Religion with someones choice to put metal through their skin is absurd. Sorry, but if I decided it was my choice to carry a spade around with me I wouldn't expect a job.

Also, if I was an employeer I'd prefer non-visible pierced member of staff. Less intimidating for the elderly and it, let's face it, looks dreadfully unprofessional.

[/Rant]

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Perhaps it was a bit of a strange comparison. But why can't pierced people work with customers? Are we not living in the 21st century? If people have problems with piercings then it's their problem. No need for discrimination against those with piercings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al
    Perhaps it was a bit of a strange comparison. But why can't pierced people work with customers? Are we not living in the 21st century? If people have problems with piercings then it's their problem. No need for discrimination against those with piercings.
    In a perfect world they could. In a perfect world there'd be no racism, ageism, sexism etc. But it's not and there is.

If people have problems with piercings then it's their problem
    If a large number of people (say the older generation) have problems with staff they'll simply go elsewhere. This is business, losing business is not good etiquite.

I agree with you people should be accepted, but it's a fact that people are judgmental, if I have a choice, I'll go to a shop which doesn't hire Chavs. Or Rapists. etc.

Thanks
    surely if the company is an equal oppertunities company they should give everyone regardless of what they look like, the benifit of an interview.

Yes there's the whole health and safety at work thing, but since when have piercings been a health or safety hazard? it's not like i sit playing with my ears all day...

as for the intimidation issue, i've not had a problem with the elderly not liking my piercings. they still talk to me of their own accord on the bus and smile if they bump into me by accident etc. I sometimes feel intimidated by huge 6ft blokes with loads of muscles, but it doesnt stop me shopping in the shop they work in.

It's all to do with how you put yourself across. If you are always smiling and generally are good with the public, chatty and understanding, whether you have piercings should be irrelevant.

Thread Information