Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234561323 ... LastLast

Thread: 1600 W maximum on vacuum cleaners from from Sept!

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Re: 1600 W maximum on vacuum cleaners from from Sept!

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    True, but there is a special kind of stupid that comes with them too. We have a small mini-freezer than is approx 15 years sold. Approx 80L capacity and pre rating fugures. Had several smug people pontificate how we're wrecking the environment, and we should get an A+ rated humungous bloated 'efficient' one like they have. The fact the power draw on their megafreezers is still 3 times what ours is never crosses their brainwashed minds.
    Insulation, more efficient compressors and so on are all very well but the biggest efficiency gain for freezers are chest freezers vs uprights or at the very least very well made internal drawers. Basic physics, the cold air (which is heavier) cannot escape so easily from a chest freezer whereas uprights waste a lot of 'cold' each time the door is opened. That's why they big American style monsters really should come with more compartments and four (or more) doors so less cold air can escape each time you open the door.

That plus having something the correct size (a full fridge or freezer has less air to rush out when you open it). I can easily see how an old 80L freezer is going to be better than 240L one if the large one is mostly empty.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

what utter morons do we have passing such BS laws? The EU could all cease to exist and the world would still be screwed due to the CO2 emissions of china and india. We are a drop in the ocean compared to them. This achieves nothing. Bite the bullet, build some Nuke power stations and energy problem solved. FFS idiots! All of them.

Thanks

The EU regulation on vacuum seems to be a good one. I was hesitant at first but now feel more comfortable once I've read more about the regulation's objectives:

1. Power, Performance (ability to pick up dust)
    2. Energy efficiency
    3. Dust re-emission in the exhaust air (particularly important for people with asthma)
    4. Noise level
    5. Durability (no early failure of the hose or the motor)

More power doesn't automatically mean better cleaning. Sadly, the consumers are misled by marketing yet again and our national newspaper talking nonsense to play on the fears of consumers.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Anyone know if this applies to 'wet' hoovers like the Vax? Mine is way more powerful than my Cat + Dog 1800w Miele vacuum. Given I have 3 small kids and a dog, I would want to scrimp on power on a decent Vax.

Thanks

True, but there is a special kind of stupid that comes with them too. We have a small mini-freezer than is approx 15 years sold. Approx 80L capacity and pre rating fugures. Had several smug people pontificate how we're wrecking the environment, and we should get an A+ rated humungous bloated 'efficient' one like they have. The fact the power draw on their megafreezers is still 3 times what ours is never crosses their brainwashed minds.
    Plus the environmental impact of binning your old one, and the production and transportation impact of the new one...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    More power doesn't automatically mean better cleaning. Sadly, the consumers are misled by marketing yet again and our national newspaper talking nonsense to play on the fears of consumers.
    You're implying everyone is just being ignorant and sensationalistic, which isn't really the case is it? At least in this thread, the ones complaining about the stupidity of the ban, are pretty much in agreement that highlighting efficiency ratings would be a good move, but an upper bound power limit makes little sense - what about very efficient but higher power models which will get the job done quicker while using less energy overall?

On the flip side, you could argue the EU's official stance is sugar-coating it, highlighting the apparent positives while masking the short-sightedness of the whole mess.

900W really isn't a lot of power for a vacuum cleaner; as I said above, a Henry rates poorly at cleaning thicker carpets on the 'eco' setting in my experience. Add a brush to put more load on the motor and you'll drive power up further.

What I find concerning, is power limits may mean more expensive models which people can't afford and/or poor performance/cylinder models which under-perform and are harder to use. Maybe we'll see 'useful vacuum cleaner' licenses?

And again, going back to what this is actually supposed to achieve; you can argue all you want about how much the limits may be over-exaggerated, but could that not also apply to the supposed power savings? I'll try to remember to use my power meter next time I vacuum to see what sort of savings this is likely to make. My prediction? Not much...
    Last edited by watercooled; 23-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    You're implying everyone is just being ignorant and sensationalistic, which is borderline arrogant TBH.
    Sounds as though you didn't read my post properly. Consumers are always misled by marketing. Look at Apple and Dr Beat headphones. They misled consumers all the time and yet consumers pay a premium for their products while there are better products at a lower price elsewhere. The media have a role in this too, especially when they get kick backs from advertising, etc. The same concept applies to vacuum cleaners.

At least in this thread, the ones complaining about the stupidity of the ban, are pretty much in agreement that highlighting efficiency ratings would be a good move, but an upper bound power limit makes little sense - what about very efficient but higher power models which will get the job done quicker while using less energy overall?
    Again, you didn't read my post properly.

Basically MORE POWER DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY MEAN BETTER CLEANING.

Personally I like to see the EU release full performance data on vacuum cleaners so that I can make an informed choice.

Sorry for the caps lock. Just had to make a point.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Basically MORE POWER DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY MEAN BETTER CLEANING.
    That's a given, but the point was that it's silly to cap power when you might be able to use more peak power to clean more efficiently overall.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Sorry for the caps lock. Just had to make a point.
    If you're certain the other measures will work for everyone, why the need for the arbitrary cap?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That's a given, but the point was that it's silly to cap power when you might be able to use more peak power to clean more efficiently overall.
    If you're certain the other measures will work for everyone, why the need for the arbitrary cap?
    I support the new regulation as it means better cleaning performance, lower energy cost, and long lasting products. I can only imagine the EU has decided on a cap because they feel there was a scope for substantial energy savings and improving product quality. Vacuum cleaners tend to be boring devices and so a little nudge towards innovation is sure a good thing for consumers, right?

I tend to find wattage as a meaningless indicator of product quality or cleaning performance.

Perhaps the regulation may cause some problems in the short term for the manufacturers but I do remain optimistic that vacuum cleaners will improve vastly in the long term for the benefit of everyone and the environment.

Thanks

I did edit+re-word my original post to make it sound less confrontational, but my point remains the same; it sounded like you were essentially saying ruling=right, everyone else doesn't know what they're on about. Which clearly isn't the case, which you'd know if you read the whole thread to see the justification of concerns.

In reference to the claim, this thread is the first I'd heard of it, and I've not even seen any news headlines relating to it.

I support the new regulation as it means better cleaning performance, lower energy cost, and long lasting products.
    Really? O_o
    Perhaps labelling would encourage performance and energy efficiency, but where does 'longer lasting products' come into it? And what about probable higher purchase cost?

I'd like to see how they draw their conclusion for their energy saving claims; just because they say it doesn't mean the data is sound, nor does it mean it will work out that way in reality.

I can only imagine the EU has decided on a cap because they feel there was a scope for substantial energy savings and improving product quality. Vacuum cleaners tend to be boring devices and so a little nudge towards innovation is sure a good thing for consumers, right?
    Unless said consumers end up having to pay more for less performance and minimal or potentially negative savings in terms of energy.

I tend to find wattage as a meaningless indicator of product quality or cleaning performance.
    So a 1W USB cleaner can be as effective as a 2kW upright, yeah? /sarc
    Of course, power draw isn't always going to be linear to cleaning performance, but no-one on this thread has suggested otherwise AFAICT. And as I keep saying, purchase cost comes into it too; sure a 'high-tech' cleaner might match a no-name high-power one in performance, but not everyone is going to want to (or indeed, able to afford) spending several hundred pounds on something which would have previously cost a few tens to do the same job.

Thanks

I support the new regulation as it means better cleaning performance, lower energy cost, and long lasting products.
    [Citation Needed]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

12. Received thanks from:

Funkstar (23-08-2014),Noxvayl (24-08-2014),TheAnimus (23-08-2014),watercooled (26-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    [Citation Needed]
    Read post #35 first to get an overview then I put out the relevant information tomorrow.

Thanks

Read post #35 first to get an overview then I put out the relevant information tomorrow.
    Which includes no evidence at all.

You can't keep making these claims without anything to back them up....
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

15. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (24-08-2014)

Thanks

I did edit+re-word my original post to make it sound less confrontational, but my point remains the same; it sounded like you were essentially saying ruling=right, everyone else doesn't know what they're on about. Which clearly isn't the case, which you'd know if you read the whole thread to see the justification of concerns.

In reference to the claim, this thread is the first I'd heard of it, and I've not even seen any news headlines relating to it.
    You're coming across as being very aggressive and confrontational. Sorry if I don't agree with your views but being aggressive and confrontational isn't going to change my views. I can think for myself; thank you very much. Perhaps what is worrying you is either you haven't thought things through enough or not a very good shopper, even both might be true in your case.

Perhaps labelling would encourage performance and energy efficiency, but where does 'longer lasting products' come into it? And what about probable higher purchase cost?
    I take it you don't fully understand the EU directive but yes definitely labelling would encourage performance and energy efficiency.

I'd like to see how they draw their conclusion for their energy saving claims; just because they say it doesn't mean the data is sound, nor does it mean it will work out that way in reality.
    A small energy saving made on a single product can translate into large energy savings when multiplied by millions.

Unless said consumers end up having to pay more for less performance and minimal or potentially negative savings in terms of energy.
    I tend to shop by value. For me value is about energy saving, performance, style, longevity and personal needs as part of the whole package. An energy efficient device can sometimes be cheaper or more expensive. There is no certainty that an energy efficient product will be more expensive.

I have paid for a more energy efficient product knowing full well I can get a return on my purchase within a few years.

So a 1W USB cleaner can be as effective as a 2kW upright, yeah? /sarc
    Upright vacuum cleaners are lower in wattages but cleans better when compared to cylinder vacuum cleaners.

Of course, power draw isn't always going to be linear to cleaning performance, but no-one on this thread has suggested otherwise AFAICT. And as I keep saying, purchase cost comes into it too; sure a 'high-tech' cleaner might match a no-name high-power one in performance, but not everyone is going to want to (or indeed, able to afford) spending several hundred pounds on something which would have previously cost a few tens to do the same job.
    Sounds as though you're type of person who knows the price of everything but doesn't understand value. Sometimes I buy the cheaper product because it offers a better performance over a more expensive one. Price is not always an indicator of quality.

I always shop by quality and value. Always have done throughout my life and continue to do so in the future.

OilSheikh

I smell a business opportunity, import vaccum cleaners from China and sell them here. Supply and deman gentlemen!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    I smell a business opportunity, import vaccum cleaners from China and sell them here. Supply and deman gentlemen!
    I think there maybe a slight flaw in your plan, if the EU bans sales of vacuum cleaners over 1600W...

19. Received thanks from:

Agent (23-08-2014),Noxvayl (24-08-2014)

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234561323 ... LastLast

Thread Information