• PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    exactly, to me the quesiton pretty much says balanced = unbalanced.....how is this possible

Thanks
    "if every force has an equal but opposite reaction then how can forces be unbalanced"

Well, I take 'unblaanced force' to mean something like the following.

Set of scales, one side has 2KG and the other side has 1KG.

From a central position, the foces would be unbalanced so the 2KG would go down and the 1Kg would go up.

However, actuall action of one side going down is found equally in the other side going up.

Sp, unblanaced forces AND equal and oposite actions, unless I'm barking up totally the wrong tree.

Thanks
    ok you need to be able to look at various components of an 'unbalanced' force.

Imagine a hand throwing a ball.

The hand exerts a force on the ball and the ball must exert an equal and oposite force on the hand acording to Newton's First Law.

Because there is a net force acting on the ball it undergoes acceleration of the magnitude F = ma in the direction of the force coming from the hand.

There is a force acting on the hand from the ball but it does not accelerate backwards as there is the same force still pushing the hand forward from the arm.

as for the ball falling through the air thing...

Initially, when you drop the ball the only force acting on the ball is gravitaion pull of the earth. Gravity causes an acceleration of g (9.81) for the net force on the ball is Fo = mg.

As the ball falls faster the resistance from the air increases until the ball approaches terminal velocity. At the terminal velocity the resistance force from the air is equal to Fo from above. There is a downwards force of F=mg and an upwards force of F=mg so the net force = 0 and there is no more acceleration.

It's difficult to apply Newton's First Law in this situation, the force acting on the ball is the gravitational force of theEarth acting upon the ball - there is an equal and opposite reaction though, the ball pull on the Earth with an equal force in the opposite direction!

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. X
    There is a force acting on the hand from the ball but it does not accelerate backwards as there is the same force still pushing the hand forward from the arm.
    That's not the best way to put it. The force coming back from the ball will be transfered as a change in velocity in equal amounts to the change in velocity of the ball.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan555
    My first question is, why is acceleration considered 'unbalanced'?
    Acceleration is considered unbalanced because there is a greater force pushing it than there is pulling it back, otherwise it wouldn't be gaining in speed.

If it was going at a constant speed, then there would be an equal force forward/backwards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun
    Acceleration is considered unbalanced because there is a greater force pushing it than there is pulling it back, otherwise it wouldn't be gaining in speed.

If it was going at a constant speed, then there would be an equal force forward/backwards.
    Right, if that's the defenition it's got feck all to do with equal and oposite reactions. Just a case of another teacher in need of some lessons.

Thanks
    Well, thats just how I remember our physics teacher explaining it. He said something about this:

If a car is going at a constant speed, no more force is need to keep it like that.

If it's accelerating, more force is needed.

smtkr
    I really don't see what is so unbalanced about acceleration. If you draw force diagrams, it does take a net force to accelerate an object...locally. If you increase your frame of reference, you can always find the 'equal and opposite' reaction within the larger system.

-------------
    Thanks
    oh this thread has just reminded my why i got out of engineering after college

oh jeeez,

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by BenW
    Ok so i'f i roll a ball along a level floor it deaccelerates do to friction. are you saying that friction is actually the ball deaccelerating the floor/earth?
    Yes, but as the earth weighs 5700 billon billon tonnes, it does not accelarate much. f=ma still applies though.

Consider the example of you dropping the ball from a height. Gravity creates a force of attaction between the ball and the earth. Both are attacted to each other, and both begin accelarating towards each other untill they collide. It only appears as if the ball's accelaration in unbalaced becase the observer is on the earth, and the earth's accelaration is very small.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci
    Yes, but as the earth weighs 5700 billon billon tonnes, it does not accelarate much. f=ma still applies though.

Consider the example of you dropping the ball from a height. Gravity creates a force of attaction between the ball and the earth. Both are attacted to each other, and both begin accelarating towards each other untill they collide. It only appears as if the ball's accelaration in unbalaced becase the observer is on the earth, and the earth's accelaration is very small.
    Chrestomanci Has hit the nail on the head. Ther is an equal an opposite force but this acceleration is so small that you do not notice it due to the mass of the earth.

What you have to be careful of is the what each force is relative to.

Physics is one of those science subjects that like to get all philosophical and artys. Yuk! I did get a great grade for it at A level however so I cant complain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephent3
    Chrestomanci Has hit the nail on the head. Ther is an equal an opposite force but this acceleration is so small that you do not notice it due to the mass of the earth.
    erm - post #9

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by stephent3
    Physics is one of those science subjects that like to get all philosophical and artys. Yuk! I did get a great grade for it at A level however so I cant complain.
    Pardon? Physicists arent very much into philosophy as a rule, however, philosophers like to think they know everything there is to know about wuantum mechanics and relativity from reading univers in a nutshell and brief history of time, and thus are entitled to make me write essays about why special relativity is wrong, which is obvious, but im not allowed to mention general relativity, because thats 'outside the scope of the course'. scarf wearing girly men the lot of them
    </rant>

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    Pardon? Physicists arent very much into philosophy as a rule, however, philosophers like to think they know everything there is to know about wuantum mechanics and relativity from reading univers in a nutshell and brief history of time, and thus are entitled to make me write essays about why special relativity is wrong, which is obvious, but im not allowed to mention general relativity, because thats 'outside the scope of the course'. scarf wearing girly men the lot of them
    </rant>
    I sence some bitterness there

Thanks
    i do apologise konan555 u did meantion it first. Christ made a more detailed explaination of it so I gave him sum creds.

But credit wher credits due bro.

Philosophers are strange strange people. Imagine getting paid just to think up random crap and be all controversial. Wonderful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information