Thread: PayPal ~ Upgrading account?

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks

PayPal ~ Upgrading account?

Hummmzzz. Right o, got a bit of an "issue" with PayPal here...

Been selling a bunch of stuff which is surplus to requirement on Ebay. All has been going dandy, but I couldn't accept payment for one item without upgrading my PayPal account (funds sourced from a credit card, I beleive). I thought about it, and decided to upgrade my account, to avoid hassle, based on it only costing me somewhere in the region of 50p to accept this payment, and I also thought I could just downgrade my account after the transaction. No dice.

It would now appear that all payments I receive will be charged. Take into consideration Ebay fees, and this starts to add up to me losing a significant whack of money. And I can't find a way to downgrade my account.

So, to those in the know, am I stuck with my "Premier" account, or is there a way to downgrade which I am missing?

If there isn't a proper way to downgrade, would closing my PayPal account alltogethor, then re-opening it work? It'd have to be tied to the same bank account, as only one of my accounts has a debit card....

Thanks in advance for any help :s

Tak
    Thanks
    I don't think you can downgrade it, but you can open a second account and keep it a "personal" account. There's nothing in the T&Cs against having multiple accounts. I have two accounts myself so I don't have to pay fees on non-CC payments.

From what I remember, you can only have your bank details in one account at a time, so what I do is put my bank details in the personal account.

When you want to withdraw funds from your premier account (which no longer has your bank details so you can't make withdrawals), you just transfer the funds to your personal account first. you don't get charged fees as it's a personal account. The only thing you need to watch for is that the personal account has a receive limit of £250 a month.

For making payments with your debit card, you can choose to enter your card details into either account (but not both), whichever's more convenient for you.

You then change your eBay Paypal payment address to your new personal account, if someone wants to make a payment by CC then you give them your Premier account address.
    Last edited by Tak; 27-11-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    Had to read through that a couple of times, but it makes sense, and seems to kill all my birds with one stone

That's actually a far better outcome than what I had expected, as it allows me to carry on using PayPal as I had done before, but still accept credit card (or very large) payments.

Fantastic!

Thanks very much, much appreciated

Tak
    Thanks
    No probs, it will become second-nature once you get the hang of it. Many sellers do this to minimise fees.

Thread Information