Thread: Paypal - What a load of rubbish!

Registered+
    Thanks

Paypal - What a load of rubbish!

Ok recently My girlfriend signed up to Ebay however she doesn't have a bank account. So to get round this she signed up to paypal with my bank account.

No problems at all with that, Anyway, I had a few printer cartridges and some memory lying around that I pick up from car boot sales and computer fairs/shows.

I put them on ebay on her account, there was 19 items in total. I sell all the products and rub my hands with glee at the prospect of receiving a couple of hundred pounds, Best of all it is my birthday in a couple of weeks so we could afford to have a great time!

I transfer most of the money to my bank account from paypal, and sit back and just wait for it to roll in so I can send the customers their items.

Anyway last night I received an email from paypal. My account has been limited and they need information from me, They need to perform three steps, Bank Funding - which I was still waiting for them to put into my bank so I could finish this, telephone confirmation - which I completed straight away by entering a PIN number over the phone to them.

Finally the last step is to fax details for each individual sale (19 of them) and details of my supplier. Firstly I do not own a fax machine and secondly I do no have any receipts or a supplier. It's stupid. My birthday has been ruined because I needed the money, and I have been caused unnecessary stress. Further to this I have actually lost money on all the items which I will have to pay out of my own pocket in paypal fees.

I will be contacting each of my customers and offering them either a refund or a refund and then they can send me a cheque through the post, then once cleared the item will be sent.

Once this farce has been sorted out, I will NEVER use Paypal again. Why in this day and age can't they just run a credit check to confirm any identity, Or at least do all these procedures when you first open the account so there are no nasty surprises later on.

Congratulations Ebay/Paypal....you lost another customer.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks
    Why hasn't your girlfriend got a bank account?

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    Not surprising if the paypal account was not confirmed. I'm guessing the problem is that you've exceeded the limits and paypal are requiring you to sort it out in hindsight. Although asking for details of supplier is only normally requested when someone has made a complaint against you for selling fraudulent items. I'd just tell them you have no supplier and are selling your own personal items, which you are. Admitting you have suppliers pretty much puts you into the trader category which I'm guessing you're not. Same with me, the only stuff I sell on ebay is either mine or my family's personal stuff that we no longer want or need.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzer View Post
    Why hasn't your girlfriend got a bank account?

It's a long story, but basically she had some money troubles and it's best she doesn't own one.. it's abit personal so don't pry please

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by superscaper View Post
    Not surprising if the paypal account was not confirmed. I'm guessing the problem is that you've exceeded the limits and paypal are requiring you to sort it out in hindsight. Although asking for details of supplier is only normally requested when someone has made a complaint against you for selling fraudulent items. I'd just tell them you have no supplier and are selling your own personal items, which you are. Admitting you have suppliers pretty much puts you into the trader category which I'm guessing you're not. Same with me, the only stuff I sell on ebay is either mine or my family's personal stuff that we no longer want or need.
    that's very interesting. Someone has reported me even though, I've never even sold anything on the account!, and further to that I have even delivered anything yet!

I will tell them everything however I was counting on the money to send the items, so it's either they wait for ages or refunds!

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    Quote Originally Posted by eggenstein View Post
    that's very interesting. Someone has reported me even though, I've never even sold anything on the account!, and further to that I have even delivered anything yet!

I will tell them everything however I was counting on the money to send the items, so it's either they wait for ages or refunds!
    It may not be the case, and may simply be verifying your items since you're selling so many from a new paypal account. But on ebay people can simply report you for what they suspect may be fake items, just from your listings. As I say it may be noone has reported you and it simply is a case of you trying to do too much with a limited account.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by superscaper View Post
    It may not be the case, and may simply be verifying your items since you're selling so many from a new paypal account. But on ebay people can simply report you for what they suspect may be fake items, just from your listings. As I say it may be noone has reported you and it simply is a case of you trying to do too much with a limited account.
    that maybe it. I understand they have their policies to help protect the customers, but for the dear love of god they should do it in a better way.

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    that maybe it. I understand they have their policies to help protect the customers, but for the dear love of god they should do it in a better way.
    I know, and with all the fees and hassle etc it really isn't worth selling most stuff on ebay any more. I've got loads of stuff to get rid of but it's not really sellable (certainly not to cover costs), except I've got loads of lego that sells really well for some reason. But pretty much everything else I've sold has been disappointing, or not sold at all.

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    There is some rivals out there now, go and do a little search. There was an advert on TV over Christmas.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks

Sorry do you mean you haven't delivered anything yet?

That might be why people are filing complaints...

Sorry if i've misunderstood

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's a long story, but basically she had some money troubles and it's best she doesn't own one.. it's abit personal so don't pry please
    that sounds like exactly the kind of person you don't (in the posistion of paypal) too touch with a bardgepole.

Paypal have screwed me for £30 before, but in this case they are damn right.

Do you have any idea how much anti-money laundering regulation there is? In short money troubles, best she dosen't own a bank account generally means criminal, or outstanding CCJs. As such would you want to do buisness with that person? Heck no!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTuk View Post
    There was an advert on TV over Christmas.
    Yeah but dont use the site it advertised, my friend Dan did and well hes lost £100+. So just to warn you.

PS- Yeah ebay is quite bad for that + the fees they take and for recovering money from Sales that went wrong ect, they charge £15 for a few clicks...

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)
    Final value fees are a killer. Hrm...

Thread Information