Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: 3000 founders edition cards UK

Spreadie

Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    So I managed to get a 3090 FE a little while back. It's sitting idle for big chunks of the time. Anyone got an idiot's guide to mining for solo setups so I can recoup at least a bit of the outlay?
    Nicehash Quickminer is probably the easiest option - You can be up and running in minutes. You may want to set up an account on Coinbase to transfer currency to, which allows for easy payouts to a paypal account.

A word of warning - VRAM temps on the 30 series cards do get a mite toasty. I swapped out the thermal pads on mine for some 12.8 W/mK pads, which knocked 20 degrees off the VRAM. I also got a bunch of cheaper thermal pads to mount some passive heatsinks on the card's backplate which keeps the VRAM in the low 80s when producing ~ 120MH/s. It's a warm day and it's sitting at 84 degrees on the VRAM and 53 on the GPU, in an ITX case.

Good airflow and the passive sinks could be enough to get by if you don't fancy stripping down a £1400 card. Afterall, the more recent 3090s were shipped with marginally better pads than the originals, but I'm an inveterate tinkerer and couldn't help myself. Post-Op, my first 3090 far outperformed my more recent card in the thermal stakes, until I replaced the pads on that one too - they ran pretty much identically before I sold the first one.
    Last edited by Spreadie; 15-06-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    So I managed to get a 3090 FE a little while back. It's sitting idle for big chunks of the time. Anyone got an idiot's guide to mining for solo setups so I can recoup at least a bit of the outlay?
    You probably want to start a new thread on that. There will be a lot of questions.

Sadly you have missed the boom times, but should still make some of your money back. Note that the tax man gets interested if you mine over £1000, and that's before you take out energy and equipment costs. I've been going a few months now, and suspect I will never get near the £1000 with my little rig but I'm keeping a spreadsheet just in case it catches up with me.

Note that Windows will throw a virus scanner fit at any mining program so you have to turn the virus scanner off. To get around that on my Windows VR rig, I grabbed an old 2.5in external drive with an entire 80GB of storage (yes that old ) and installed HiveOS on it. If I want to mine, I mash the F8 key and tell the BIOS on the pc to boot from USB, and a custom cloud controlled Linux install (actually a heavily tweaked Ubuntu) does the business. HiveOS is free for a single machine.

https://hiveos.farm/install/

While that's downloading, you will want an Eth wallet. I would suggest the MetaMask browser plugin. There will be lots of advice to use eg a hardware wallet, which makes sense if you are hoarding thousands in crypto. I used to use an app on my phone, but there are some fun tricks you can pull later with DeFi if you use Metamask.

Your wallet gives you a wallet address, you follow a HiveOS tutorial and plug in your wallet address into the flight sheet and tell your rig to go mine ether.

Oh, and you can't realistically mine crypto on your own. I use the Ethermine pool: https://ethermine.org/

So to recap: Install MetaMask first, Download HiveOS and put it on some USB stick/hdd, then curse how mental the whole lot is trying to plug it all together.

It's actually been kind of fun, though I still think it is all nonsense. I think you are looking at about USD 240 per month if it was mining all the time before energy costs, which I'm sure won't be $240. Geeky fun, but not the future of finance. Hell no.

Spreadie

4. Received thanks from:

cptwhite_uk (13-07-2021)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

There was an RTX3070 and RTX3080 drop at 10am today,but not the RTX3060TI!

Thanks

3090's in stock for over an hour, is this the start of the great correction...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    3090's in stock for over an hour, is this the start of the great correction...
    There have been no RTX3060TI for weeks now.

The correction is the move towards consoles,and moving away from self built systems. There is basically no decent GPUs under £450,and yet laptops with an RTX3060 and 6/8 core CPU have been as low as £900(the laptop RTX3060 has more shaders). AMD is entirely irrelevant now,due to their overpriced GPUs and lack of an FE equivalent,and hardly any OEM systems with them.

The issue is looking at most of my gaming mates,I can't see many spending over £400 on a GPU,in fact they are almost all sub £300 GPU buyers. The issue is when they have to the update the rest of the system,it makes no financial sense to stay with a self built desktop gaming PC.

You really need at least a RX3060TI or RX6700XT,IMHO to not really fall behind a modern console. Then you either need a decent 6 core CPU,or older 8 core CPU on top of this,and ideally some form of NVME storage. This is OK if you an enthusiast,but its different if you just build a system,and only upgrade it in one go.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 13-07-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Xuse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Tuf H570 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB (4x 8GB) Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB WD, 2TB external, Toshiba 16TB MG Series Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair rm850x (2018)
      • Case:
      • Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Enterprise
      • Internet:
      • 900/110 FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    There was an RTX3070 and RTX3080 drop at 10am today,but not the RTX3060TI!
    I know, I'm a bit gutted at no 3060TI. I just went for the 3070 even though it's worse value for money (10-15% for an extra £100?)

Now I'm in a bad situation as I didn't realize my old 4690k would bottlneck the new card so much so scrambling to put a build together...

Thanks

I picked up a 3090 FE last week so the cards are still dropping.

Cheers Scan.

Thread Information