• Innovision 8800GT 512MB + Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 + Turbo Fans
      • PSU:
      • 600W Modular Generic
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Centurion 534
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq FP 19"
      • Internet:
      • 2 cans and a string DSL-Max 3MB/s with a tailwind ;)

Talking Re: Recommend a TFT Screen? 22"+?

Right - got the new screen; from ebuyer 'cos I was ordering other stuff at the same time. ( ebuyer product 129910 ). First off the box it ships in is really small; its barely bigger than the screen but sufficient because it got to me safely. I got a uk power cable and a VGA cable but no DVI; I'm using the DVI off my old 19" display. It is *really* wide - I find I'm moving my head from side to side instead of taking in the whole screen at a glance - I either need to sit further back (like mom used to say) or just get used to it. It is *really* bright; after some calibration using the nvidia display optimisation wizard its great though. NO dead pixels (yay!) which is always a gut-wrenching moment for any new display.
    Movies - great. 16:9 movies full screen have slim black bars (its native aspect is 16:10) but the edges dont have that backlight bleed effect that can detract so much.
    Games - Stalker and Half-Life are both cracking in widescreen mode; bigger field of vision, more to see, feel more natural than the 4:3 display.
    Build - the stand isn't that bad - seems reasonably stable perched ontop of a box on my desk; yes it wobbles but not anything heart-stopping.
    On-Screen Menus - typically cruff, but usable; how often do you need 'em? They're good enough I guess.
    It has an advanced power-save option where it leaves the backlight powered up for a few minutes longer than normal; this is supposed to extend their life; it means no delay during reboots with a powered off screen so its good for tweaking the bios settings during overclocking sessions. It can be disabled to behave like most other panels with a short delay to power-down.

So far, so good! The only problem now is I have to pass it on to the chap I'm building a PC for (boo!) but it's made my xmas wish-list.

Thanks to everybody for their input,
    Bob.
    Last edited by kbobiller; 06-10-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling!

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Recommend a TFT Screen? 22"+?

Hi - the newer samsung is a SM226CW - it is supposed to be better but the BW version is very good anyway...

Thanks

Re: Recommend a TFT Screen? 22"+?

Don't dare looking at Eizo [or equivalent] Pro screens, it'll make you realise how crap consumer LCD screens really are .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information