Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Problem so strange I want to cry!

Thanks

Re: Problem so strange I want to cry!

As they say, you can take a horse to water ........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sema4 View Post
    you go around telling everyone cheap PSU's are fine if you like, it's all the more money for me when they blow up
    I guess that shows your motive right there.

If or when his psu fails, pat yourself on the back, it's really no big deal.

Thanks

MY MOTIVE ?

I just spent some of my valuable time trying to explain why cheap PSU's can cause costly failures, and trying to encourage others not to make that mistake to save them time, hastle and ultimately, money.

Your the one thats insisting cheap PSU's are safe, and you question MY motives ?

Im trying to help others, what are you trying to do exactly ?

Thanks

MY MOTIVE ?

I just spent some of my valuable time trying to explain why cheap PSU's can cause costly failures, and trying to encourage others not to make that mistake to save them time, hastle and ultimately, money.

Your the one thats insisting cheap PSU's are safe, and you question MY motives ?

Im trying to help others, what are you trying to do exactly ?
    Are you saying that all cheap psu's are unsafe? Perhaps you should inform trading standards. I have no doubt that the vast majority of psu's that are for sale in this country are perfectly safe.
    No-one is asking for your time, if you don't want to post for free for others benefit, then don't, but don't whinge about it afterwards.
    The facts are, many people insisted it was a psu problem and he should spend his money on a new one. They were wrong in respect of his problem, you can argue that in the long run an expensive psu is a good investment and of course it is, but NOT all cheap psu's are going to pop and ruin motherboards either.

Thanks

Yes I am saying all cheap PSU's are unsafe, but of course, the term 'unsafe' is relative, they are not radio-active, they are not about to go nucular and wipe out a continent, they probably won't set fire to your home if your really lucky, but at the very least, it will be an expensive lesson when it goes pop, because the odds are that they will destroy everything thats connected to them.

I have replaced more of these than you have, so stop telling me they are just as safe as quality PSU's.

Im refuse to repeat my self any longer because of your inability to understand facts.

Im not the one thats whinging and insulting others, Im just trying to help, your the one going around pontificating on subjects you know nothing about, then you question other peoples motives and generally become insulting, nice going, your a big help to the forum and the community.

If you think trading standards should be involved because cheap PSU's are not as safe as expensive ones ? You call them, while your at it, you might as well complain that motorbikes are not as safe as cars, cheap stereo's don't sound as good as expensive ones, and cheap processed food contains high fat and sugar content which is bad for the health, go to town, make a list, knock your self out...

Your just being obtuse now, and I for one have better things to do, despite my best efforts to present the facts in an unbiased manor, your choosing to ignore them, so be it, blow your own computer up, and those of the people you advise, I get paid for what I do, and although I have tried to prevent it, your doing me a favour, so thanks, but Im not paying you a commision.

Thanks

I have replaced more of these than you have, so stop telling me they are just as safe as quality PSU's.

Im refuse to repeat my self any longer because of your inability to understand facts.

Im not the one thats whinging and insulting others, Im just trying to help, your the one going around pontificating on subjects you know nothing about, then you question other peoples motives and generally become insulting, nice going, your a big help to the forum and the community.
    Speculation - you have absolutely no idea how many I've replaced. But if you're advising people to buy new expensive psu's INCASE the ones they presently use go wrong in the future, you're probably right.
    Insults - plenty in your post.
    Help to the community - mis-diagnose problems, never mind, just throw money at other components and chuck a few scares in to reinforce it.
    The guy is sorted now so spend your valuable time elsewhere.

Thanks

Speculation... yeah, you like that word, don't you... Actually I have a good idea how many power supplies you have not and have not replaced, from your remarks...

Well if you have never seen a cheap PSU fail and take the hardware with it, then your lucky, but it still happens, I don't rightly care if you believe it, or not.

Further more, mis-diagnose ? I suggested he check the event log for disk controller errors in my second post on the subject, if the problem was the disk, there would be entires in the event log, another fact you will probably refuse to accept and in turn will come back sayings it's impossible, or something...

Did you really sign up to this forum, just to argue with people with no basis in fact ? Go bother someone else, if you have nothing helpful to say, then say nothing at all, and telling people cheap PSU's are safe, is not helpful, unless your the sales manager for Q-Tec and your trying to impress your boss...

Thanks

telling people cheap PSU's are safe, is not helpful,
    Not for scaremongerers trying to fleece people maybe.
    unless your the sales manager for Q-Tec and your trying to impress your boss...
    Be careful with that sharp wit there.

Splash

I spy with my little eye a thread that will soon be closed

Thanks

Enough with the misinformation - I am genuinely concerned that newbies will be coming away with the wrong idea about PSU's.

There are a few things that need to be kept in mind:

1) Cheaper PSU's are made with considerably lower components, quality wise, than the more expensive counter parts.

2) It is not a case of if a PSU goes, but when. Everything will fail at some point regardless of price-point (unless it hits the bin first of course). The issue is not the failure of a device, its what else it takes out with it. Cheap PSU's have been proved time and time again to kill components.

3) Some of these PSU's can not be built for the price that they are being sold for if they are capable of the stated output. This means if you were to get the parts, and make one yourself it would cost more than buying it from a retailer. Then keep in mind that they have to be built abroad, shipped to the UK, and sold by the retailer with every point in the process making some profit. Make of that what you will.

4) A cheap PSU can make anything in your system look like its at fault. Its very hard to trouble shoot with a poor quality PSU being used due to the way that problems can be temperamental.

5) Cheap PSU's have been known to set fire and explode. This is not a case of "I heard it from a mate in a pub", this is 100% verifiable by myself and others on here. People have no reason to make this up and scare others. After-all, we would all love PSU's to be much cheaper than they are.

6) While I don't like using peoples quotes in my examples, one of the most common which seems to arise is:
    Anything for sale will meet relevant electrical safety standards.
    Sadly people don't seem to realise what these standards are. For electronics (certainly what we are dealing with here), this simply relates to the safety of the user / people / your cat ect... and not the parts its connected to.
    Further more, its somewhat of a myth that because it has a 'safety stamp', that its actually safe.

The only problem with CE is that you can issue it yourself. I'll say that again. A manufacturer can issue CE certification themselves, without any guidance, checking or validation by any governmental body or higher watchdog. It's enforced mainly by the consumer in reality, irate consumers complaining to their local Citizen's Advice Bureau that something with the CE mark isn't doing what it should be doing. The CAB can then inform the right people that then have the right, under the rules set out for CE in the use of the mark on a product, to investigate on your behalf and really check.
    HEXUS.net - Review :: HEXUS PSU (Power Supply Unit) Roundup - Taoyuan 2005 : Page - 23/26

So yes, you may see one of these and think its safe, but the problem with the system is that it defaults to being safe unless its proved otherwise.
    You could easily point out a safety issue with a PSU, and be perfectly correct, but you and others won't know until someone raises it to a higher authority.

Sadly company's like Q-tec come and go overnight, leaving a path of damaged systems after they have vanished. You won't know if a cheap PSU falls into one of these area's until its too late in most cases.

Sure, not all cheap PSU's are equal, but its just impossible to tell in most cases until either
    1) your system goes pop
    2) you read about issues online and get it out

With a 330Watt Tagan coming in at about £30, there is no excuse to use anything cheaper. A 330Watt good PSU will still power the majority of systems out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Thanks for the post Agent, I am equally concerned, which is why I have gone to such lengths to try and protect others from expensive mistakes for the sake of an extra tenner, at no time did I suggest that you need to spend £50 or £100 on a PSU, I only recommend quality PSU's, not expensive ones... but there is just no telling some people...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Agent's point is well made (unlike cheap PSUs! )

To design, build and test any item takes time and costs money as does providing after sales support - so to build something down to a price something will be compromised, be it testing, component rating or whatever - thertefore the chance of catastrophic failure increases. It is a statistic - it may not happen, but logic dictates that if the build quality is skimped, the chance of that failure is higher.

As for the 'mis-diagnosis' - it is difficult to diagnose a fault at long range, particularly when the sysmptoms could be a number of things. PSU can cause the symptoms described and it was reasonable to ask about that - and the advice to change the PSUI was also not unreasonable. That it proved to be something else did not invalidate that advice. But their were several other options that were mentioned - perhaps checking all connections was one that was overlooked - but if others reading this benefit from that, we have all gained.

And finally, if you are building a high spec system, with a graphics card costing maybe a couple of hundred pounds, a CPU that could also be in 3 figures, processing data that is presumably valuable to you, it seems a false economy to save £20 or £30 or so on a component that is fundamental to the effective operation of the whole thing.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information