Thread: Taking Notes

Thanks

Taking Notes

Hello everyone, I am looking for a new way to take notes during classes. I don't like writing so I wanted to make the move to typing. What is an efficient, cheap way I can achieve this? Here are my ideas so far:

1) Get a netbook or a laptop.

2) Get an Android tablet and then connect a USB keyboard to it (Can I do this? It says "1 * 30 pin interface (with adapter can be 2*USB HUB and RJ45 network interface"). [Alternative tablet]

3) Get a keyboard that can wirelessly connect to my iPod Touch 4 8GB (is this possible with the iPod touch? I can only find guides for the iPhone?).

Currently I'm leaning to 2), but I'm not sure if it will work perfectly. I would do 1) but I can't find many good deals to netbooks, and laptops are a bit too expensive.

What do you think, the best idea is? Is it possible to just get a screen I can connect a keyboard to and type? Are there any other idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Varmint

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: Taking Notes

Can you touch type? If not you need to learn before you go any further.

I took a laptop computer with me to Uni in the mid 90's and typed lecture notes on it for 3 years, so I have been there. Back then my laptop cost 2 grand, and weighed about 3kg. You can probably imagine how dated the specs are to anything modern.

I think the best route is to go for a net-book computer. Obviously make sure the keyboard is good, and try typing on it in the shop. You also want a long battery life. Unless you have loads of cash I would avoid including to many other features in the spec, as they will reduce the battery life, and increase the cost and bulk.

I don't think an Apple or Android tablet is such a good idea, because you will have a much more limited range of applications available to you. For note taking you basically want a copy of MS word, not some dummed down alternative tablet word processor. Tablets are primarily designed for media consumption, not for content creation, and that is reflected in the apps available.

Also, to use a tablet you will need a stand to get it at the right angle, so every time you arrive at a class, you will need to get out the tablet, a stand for it and a keyboard. With a laptop that is the only thing you will need to get out and put away afterwards.

Having said that, if you do go for a tablet, then I suggest you checkout blue-tooth keyboards, as then you don't have to worry about cables, and you will have a much better choice.

3. Received thanks from:

Varmint (27-01-2011)

Thanks

Yes I can touch type. Even if I got a netbook, I'd probably consider taking a separate keyboard so that I can type better and more efficiently. Do you know of any good, cheap netbooks? I'm not fussy at all, so I was considering this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-NETBOOK-MINI...item4aa71f3144

What do you think?

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    Even if I got a netbook, I'd probably consider taking a separate keyboard so that I can type better and more efficiently. Do you know of any good, cheap netbooks?
    I think you would get used to the keyboard on a good netbook, so long as it is not to small, and the layout is reasonable. On the other hand there are some rubbish netbook keyboards out there, which is why I think it is essential to try them out.

I am typing on a laptop sized mini keyboard with my desktop computer, because that is what I prefer. I don't think full sized keyboards offer much advantage but they are bulky.

I can't recommend an specific netbook, as I have not done any research in that area recently.

I'm not fussy at all, so I was considering this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-NETBOOK-MINI...item4aa71f3144

What do you think?
    I would not touch it with a barge pole.

It runs windows CE, not standard windows, so it is not compatible with standard windows programs. Also the hardware spec is very low. If I could afford to write off the cost, I might consider one as a project an put linux on it, but if I wanted a computer to use, rather than tinker with then this is absolutely the wrong choice.

I also think that the very cheap android tablets you linked to in your first post are also likely to be poor choices. Ars Technica recently did a review: Worst gadget ever? Ars reviews a $99 Android tablet I was never seriously considering buying one of those cheap tablets but after reading that review, I was convinced that it was definitely a bad idea.

How big is your budget? I get the impression that you only have £100 or so to spend. If so I think your best approach would be to look for a second hand netbook, that was a reasonable quality mid-range product when new, as that way you get decent build quality.

6. Received thanks from:

Varmint (27-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    How big is your budget? I get the impression that you only have £100 or so to spend. If so I think your best approach would be to look for a second hand netbook, that was a reasonable quality mid-range product when new, as that way you get decent build quality.
    I haven't exactly given myself a strict budget, but about 100 pounds. If there is a good deal that is out of this budget I don't mind expanding it. I'm not leaning to this laptop, which is actually 200 pounds, but a really good deal:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/emac...instore/858807

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Don't get an android device for typing notes. It's way out of Androids target market.

Bottom line is that the right device for the job is a netbook with a big battery running a full version of either linux of windows, and that's going to cost more than £100. But as chrestomanci says, for your notes to be any use they need to be in Word or another full word processing package like open office, and you're going to want a wider choice of software (and with wider compatibility) than android or windows ce will offer. Also your lecturers and other students will get *very* annoyed at you if you turn up to every lecture and pull laptops and extra keyboards and all sort of gubbins out of your bag, delaying the start of the lecture while you mess around. You need to be able to sit down, open your netbook and be ready to type.

9. Received thanks from:

Varmint (29-01-2011)

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I haven't exactly given myself a strict budget, but about 100 pounds. If there is a good deal that is out of this budget I don't mind expanding it. I'm not leaning to this laptop, which is actually 200 pounds, but a really good deal:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/emac...instore/858807
    It is a low end laptop, but it is decent and should be usable. I is a million miles better than that horrible Windows CE device you linked to before.

The performance will not be great, the battery life is not very long, and it is fairly large (and probably heavy), there will probably be compromises in other areas such as the screen and keyboard, but none would be dealbreakers. Considering your small budget this is a reasonable choice.

If you can I would try it out in person before buying. Is it also available in Asda retail shops? If so I would definitely make a trip to try one, even if that means going to then next large town to find a big enough Asda megastore.

I still think that for what you are trying to do a netbook would be a better choice, as it would be smaller, lighter, and have a better battery life, but many people don't like netbooks because the screen and keyboards are to small. If that is you, then by all means buy a full size laptop.

Also, will this be your only computer or will there be a desktop computer back home?

11. Received thanks from:

Varmint (29-01-2011)

Thanks

a cheap netbook and a copy of evernote or if you can get the student version , office with one note
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

13. Received thanks from:

Varmint (29-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post

If you can I would try it out in person before buying. Is it also available in Asda retail shops?

Also, will this be your only computer or will there be a desktop computer back home?
    I have a desktop at home, and the laptop is actually only available at Asda retail shops.

a cheap netbook and a copy of evernote or if you can get the student version , office with one note
    Do you know of any cheap netbooks? Would getting one second-hand be a good idea?

Thanks

Alternatively, is there a device, I can just connect my keyboard to which will receive everything I type; assuming I don't need to do any formatting, and just typing? Can I do this with my iPod touch?
    Last edited by Varmint; 31-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information