Thread: P6NGM-FD: Bios may be "bricked", what options are left?

tgp1994

P6NGM-FD: Bios may be "bricked", what options are left?

Greetings everyone,

At this point, it seems that my BIOS is simply bricked on my MSI P6NGM-FD motherboard. Running a Core 2 Duo with a single stick of 1GB of memory, I can power on the board, the keyboard lights flash, CPU fan spins up and automatically adjusts its speed, although I receive no video, whether onboard or externally via a 9600 GT.

I tried almost every kind of combination I could find for clearing my CMOS, short of doing a handstand while I move the clear CMOS jumper.

It seems that, in this bricked state, the motherboard is unable to access floppies (so seemingly no access to those). The only other sign of intelligent life that I can see is that it will continuously beep at me if no RAM is inserted. Otherwise, it never beeps.

Is anyone aware of any kind of thing that I can do to get my board in a semi-workable state at this point? Any kind of hidden keyboard shortcuts that can force a direct flash from the floppy drive (already tried Ctrl+Home)?

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

Re: P6NGM-FD: Bios may be "bricked", what options are left?

Tried reseating everything?

tgp1994

Quote Originally Posted by MaddAussie View Post
    Tried reseating everything?
    Nothing much left to reseat, other than the memory, which I've tried swapping out several times, and the CPU, which I've also tried.

Registered+
    Thanks

bios problems can be fixed by removing the battery on the m/b and then clear cmos

tgp1994

Quote Originally Posted by m.a.miah View Post
    bios problems can be fixed by removing the battery on the m/b and then clear cmos
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp1994 View Post
    I tried almost every kind of combination I could find for clearing my CMOS, short of doing a handstand while I move the clear CMOS jumper.
    At this point, it's kind of late anyways. I've already bought a new motherboard, and it arrived here two days ago from China.

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help anyways!

Thanks

Just for future reference though - but what makes you think it was the BIOS?
    Unless you have reprogrammed the BIOS yourself, they won't just 'brick' on their own. A BIOS is extremely resilient to problems.

A component failure? I'd say more probable unless you have a reason to suspect the BIOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

tgp1994

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Just for future reference though - but what makes you think it was the BIOS?
    Unless you have reprogrammed the BIOS yourself, they won't just 'brick' on their own. A BIOS is extremely resilient to problems.

A component failure? I'd say more probable unless you have a reason to suspect the BIOS.
    I suppose it is difficult to really say that it was exactly the BIOS at this point, although after some diagnostics, I was more hoping that it was the BIOS.

After a power outage damaged this cheaply made HEC power supply that I had been using for over two years, my system began locking up. At the time, I didn't know it was the power supply, so I kept on working in my computer to figure out what the issue was. It got to the point where the BIOS logo screen started artifacting, so I shut off my computer right away to try and prevent any more damage.

After I had gotten a new power supply, I tried booting up the motherboard, but it would only do what I have described in the OP. So it certainly wasn't the power supply at this point. I now have my new motherboard, with all of the old components (except I'm using that new power supply), so it seems safe to say that it was something on that MSI board.

I couldn't see any kind of physical damage on that old board - no leaking capacitors, nothing. It just seemed that, with most of the board still functioning, a corrupted BIOS was the cause. If there was something I could still do to this board to get it functioning, I would love to.

Thread Information