Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Firefox CPU usage and Flash plug-in insanity

  1. #1
    Rys
    Rys is offline
    Tiled
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Abbots Langley
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Angry Firefox CPU usage and Flash plug-in insanity

    I'm about THIS close to uninstalling the Flash plug-in for Firefox. I was in the middle of paying for something on eBay last night when I loaded up some flash movie that someone on IRC linked me to. Cue 100% CPU usage, hung browser and me not sure if the payment had gone through or not. Taskman to kill was my only option.

    Any cures for the Flash-being-completely-and-utterly-pants issues? I've upgraded the plug-in numerous times to no avail. Hidden settings I can tweak?

    Related to that issue is just general CPU usage issues in Firefox. I have a few tabs open all the time and often Firefox will just sit and chew the CPU up while doing nothing. 30% CPU usage or whatever just sitting there while I read text. That then spikes when I scroll the page using my mouse, or switch tabs by clicking, and things lag while Firefox sodomises the CPU deciding what it's doing next.

    Anything I can do to fix that? Unloading all my extensions doesn't help, nor does using new blank profile with most things off or unloaded.

    GARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

    Help
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

  2. #2
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,366
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    775 times in 352 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys
    I'm about THIS close to uninstalling the Flash plug-in for Firefox. I was in the middle of paying for something on eBay last night when I loaded up some flash movie that someone on IRC linked me to. Cue 100% CPU usage, hung browser and me not sure if the payment had gone through or not. Taskman to kill was my only option.

    Any cures for the Flash-being-completely-and-utterly-pants issues? I've upgraded the plug-in numerous times to no avail. Hidden settings I can tweak?

    Related to that issue is just general CPU usage issues in Firefox. I have a few tabs open all the time and often Firefox will just sit and chew the CPU up while doing nothing. 30% CPU usage or whatever just sitting there while I read text. That then spikes when I scroll the page using my mouse, or switch tabs by clicking, and things lag while Firefox sodomises the CPU deciding what it's doing next.

    Anything I can do to fix that? Unloading all my extensions doesn't help, nor does using new blank profile with most things off or unloaded.

    GARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

    Help

    Maybe your PC is not powerful enough?

  3. #3
    mutantbass head Lee H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    M28, Manchester
    Posts
    14,204
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    671 times in 580 posts
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Maybe your PC is not powerful enough?
    lol yeah his ancient FX57 and SLI 7800GTX system needs a HUGE radical overhaul now just to use FF and the flash-plugin

  4. #4
    Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    6,133
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked
    137 times in 98 posts
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    David, you've got a REAL cruel streak, haven't you...
    Rys, have you tried completely removing FF and all its extensions and reinstalling? I'd guess that you've been using it since the betas and that you might have upgraded each version rather than done a fresh install? A clean start sorted out some CPU utilisation issues with FF for me.

  5. #5
    Vive le pants! directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99A Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 5280k
      • Memory:
      • 32GiB ADATA DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Neutron XT 960GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr 5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 17.10, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    i've never had any real cpu use issue on firefox on windows, even with flash (though flash under linux is a bit sucky and 100percentcpuish)

    perhaps blitzing your profile might help

  6. #6
    Ah, Mrs. Peel! mike_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    3,326
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    9 times in 7 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    i've never had any real cpu use issue on firefox on windows, even with flash (though flash under linux is a bit sucky and 100percentcpuish)

    perhaps blitzing your profile might help
    Hmm, that's the only time I get problems with Flash - try using this: https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...nfo.php?id=433

    It's an extension that blocks flash programs unless you click on them.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

  7. #7
    Rys
    Rys is offline
    Tiled
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Abbots Langley
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    David, you've got a REAL cruel streak, haven't you...
    Rys, have you tried completely removing FF and all its extensions and reinstalling? I'd guess that you've been using it since the betas and that you might have upgraded each version rather than done a fresh install? A clean start sorted out some CPU utilisation issues with FF for me.
    My only issue with that is that I'll have to start with a fresh profile and no extensions and configuration settings. Can't really afford to just nuke my entire set of customisations and start from scratch. Not at the moment anyway, since I need a browser to do my job.

    I'll give a fresh install a go as soon as I can spare the time, cheers for the helpful suggestion!
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • Curly's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 939-Sata 2
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165 @ 2.52
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Geil Value Ram
      • Storage:
      • 900gb in various HD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7800 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Globalwin
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung syncMaster 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 4mb Virgin Media Cable
    I get the same probs with FF and Flash/Java, reading about the interweb.... some peeps say turning off smooth scrolling will help (didn't work for me) and others that it is a java/nvidia drivers prob.

    edit: theres a new vers 1.0.5 of FF maybe this will cure it

    Curly
    Last edited by Curly; 13-07-2005 at 02:48 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Firefox CPU usage and Flash plug-in insanity

    By a stroke of luck, I found the solution. That worked for me.
    I was tuning my XP pc to a new theme (AlienGUIse 2.0.2.2)
    XP and Vista version can be downloaded on "softpedia". Google it!
    I installed it and I choose the "Xenomorph theme" with the Stardock (toolbar that look the same as a MAC/OS). Then in firefox, I download the Theme "BlueFox 3.6.30...". Recently, I felt my pc was faster than before with that new theme, also internet performance.
    SURPRISE!!!!
    No more lagging in videos
    I hope that will help you.

    Shad

  10. #10
    ɯʎɔɐɹsɐʌʍ mycarsavw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,945
    Thanks
    1,097
    Thanked
    653 times in 482 posts
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

    Re: Firefox CPU usage and Flash plug-in insanity

    So by installing a new Firefox theme, your internet performance has improved and your PC now runs faster?
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

  11. #11
    ALT0153™ Rob_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked
    645 times in 439 posts

    Re: Firefox CPU usage and Flash plug-in insanity

    Ahahaha!

    I installed 2 themes & it turned my dual core into a quad core

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •