Thread: ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe Chipset Fan Problem (please help me out)

Thanks

ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe Chipset Fan Problem (please help me out)

Hi,

I know this problem is not new for u guys, but I would like to say sorry about that cos I'm this new mobo user. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out asap.

I have seen some weird things happened on my mobo.
    1. my chipset fan died. first, I did hear loud noise from inside my comp. I thought it was the noise from my cheap chasis fan. I didn't realize that might be the noise from my chipset fan.

2. My comp turns slow down. When I want to shut down it or reboot it. It took me for awhile.

3. it looks like I'm a bit too late to realize that my chipset fan is dead. Can I still work with my pc? Is my chipset burn? because it looks like as if it has been dead for quite long time. like 2 weeks ago.

I'm really worried about if my chipset is burn. I will get a new chipset fan asap. However, if it's dead, I would like to call ASUS or my reseller directly.

Well, I think u guys will help me this out. I hope for a quick reply.
    Thanks, and sorry about my bad english

peace~~~

KL

Thanks
    Jeez. The chipset really needs this fan. Though you should be ok, RMA the motherboard with ASUS UK or your retailer....

By the way your english is fine!

When you get it back *carefully* fit an aftermarket cooler. I'd personally recommend a good active cooler, the noise is worth it, this chip is vital.....

Thanks
    yeah but I'm still wondering if they still want to accept RMA form because I purchased this product since three months ago. I still have the warranty tho. And if they just send me a new fan, I think it will be useless cos the chipset has been already burn. I have seen some synthoms that I thought that the chipset went bad.
    1. slow shut down
    2. certain programs cant be opened. They can be openned only at the first boot.
    3. Temp. increases before 40° now like 46°

I'm really worried if the chipset already went bad. ( saDDDDD

Asus should inform ppl about this problem tho! But they have released a new product, called the SLi premium package.. They did redesign the whole chipset cooling with using heatsink instead of fan! This is... no offence! I would say its sux!! It drives me crazy! now I'm totally disappointed!

(

thanks a lot

KL

Registered+
    Thanks
    Asus will accept this as an RMA because the extended failure was caused by another failure with their equipment, so I wouldnt worry about it, although they might insist they send you a new fan to fit first to check the chipset simply isnt overheating - whch is a definate possibiity
    2x 2400@3262 (D1 stepping) Xeons (233*14) (VID pin modded to 1.6v)
    ASUS PC-DL Deluxe (v1.04)
    Nvidia 6800 ultra
    1gb Corsair XMS3200

Thanks

Thumbs up One of the BEST SOLUTIONS

Guys I can feel your frustration as I only recently came across the chip fan issue myself!

I am sure this helps. I wish I could have come across something like this when I was trying to solve the problem! It would have saved me hours of “research”!

Here’s one of the BEST SOLUTIONS -->

If your chipset is damaged just RMA the motherboard with ASUS and they will send you a new one, but don’t ask me how you will know, I simply don’t have a clue. RMA will take a couple of weeks. If chipset is alright you can still RMA it and they will replace the fan or even the motherboard. You’re still going to have the same cheap noisy fan in that case though!

First of all the ZM-NB47J heat sink that some people suggest fits perfectly but it will not reduce the chip temperature below 50-60 deg (I have tried it). You can go for it but it is not the optimal solution. It costs around £3.50 from MicroDirect.

Alternatively, go to http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=602745 and get yourself a Vantec Iceberq CCB-A1C VGA & Chipset Cooler (Copper) for £6.45 (it will cost you just below £10 with postage).

The slight problem with CCB-A1C is that it doesn’t fit unless you make a minor modification to it (so make sure you have a cutter and a small round file). Put the unit over the chip and see for yourself. All you need to do is chop-off the excess metal from the mounting wings’ edges. Then use the file and work the holes slightly deeper towards the body of the unit. I would say the CCB-A1C is quiet.

You do not need to remove the thermal paste. Just add some more on the old (paste comes with the CCB-A1C unit).

Good luck
    Theo

Thanks
    I Think that point about not needing to remove the thermal paste is rubbish.
    Clean it off with a Tim cleaner and reapply either a fresh thermal pad or some arctic silver 5. You dont know the quality fo the old paste or whether it was contributing to the problem. If its worth doing its worth doing properly etc.

You can get alternative chipset coolers from quietpc.com. the most obvious ones are the Zalman passive ehatsinks for about £5 and the SilenX fans for about £12.

Thanks
    Now,, cooll... I got new chipset fan. I installed new fan. Thought I would get another chipset fan next week. But guys, this really drives me crazy!!! It ran very well with the new chipset which asus yesterday sent me. But like a day after that, problem came again. I don't know why? Why after installing chipset, things wouldnt be better, but it became worse!! I still have the same problem. My computer still slow when shutting down. second, some programs like "doom3" could be run for the first boot. If I would like to play it again, I had to restart my comp. Now, today. I found a new problem. I dont know why, my comp restarts by itself, when I was going to shut it down. well, I forced to turn it off by pushing 5-10 seconds power button. Now, this is the problem. It wouldnt reboot and didnt show any boot screen. My comp is totally dead. (

It runs.. and everything runs great.. but what the heck?? No screen, even boot screen! I've checked everything.. like cpu, chipset, and cable.. but still.. its dark. the only thing I found in the back of the chipset "Nvidia n4force Ultra SLi" there was like a mark.. its not really dark color. but it has a mark, like a dried liquid mark. What should I do? Is the chipset burn? How can I check the failure? Who's the culprit? I gotta find the hardware which causes all behind this.

Thanks

p.s: apologize if u find wrong grammar, so it makes u confusing.

regards

Kael

Registered+
    Thanks

Very bad!

I just noticed this on our office development PC as well - the fan failed. As we rarely reboot (there is an automatic warning when you do), I didnt notice this!

For my home PC I got the premium version and it has had no problems... will be trying to replace the office deluxe with the premium - if ASUS will allow it! They should recall all the deluxe versions as there seems to be a major problem with this... lets do an IPOD people!!!

Thanks
    yea.. i've only even seen a chipset fan fail once.. and that also happened to be on an ASUS A8N-SLI :/

Thanks
    My fan for this bored, was on the way out, and Asus sent me a replacement. Thankfuly before it died. As soon as it starts buzzing send of for a new one.

Thread Information