Thread: Sounds good!

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds good!

Bah!!!

ok so heres the problem/situation

i start uni in a week or so and my computer is just about set, apart from this little problem thats been screwing me about for a while now...

the basic barings of the problem are that it wont produce sound at all, thats just about it really, and nothing i can do will make the little bugger give me sound. i dont want to have to format it, cos i cant find SP2 cd, driver cds, music cd's etc etc etc,

booting from the XP cd doesnt work as it refuses to boot so i cant repair the install, and as far as i know u cant go thru the repair process in windows, (can you?)

to give a little more info on this..

drivers for mobo have been reinstalled (onboard sound), uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted, installed, reinstalled, etc etc etc about 14 times...

ive even went to get my pci sound card, and use it, but windows wont recognise the new device and i cant install it (havent got the driver cd either, i dont think)

and before people say it, no its not the speakers, or the headphones im using, im sure of that,

anythign short of re-formatting that i should do?

i know theres a program for driver wiping that i used to get rid of graphics card drivers, but i dont think it was applicable for audio drivers, is there another tool like this?

thanks, richard

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Give Driver Cleaner Professional Edition a go, cleans audio and video drivers and is really good plus free. http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Thanks
    Yes that's a good plan.

Check the motherbaord manufacturer's website for newer drivers and try them - they may well solve it - if then even install without problems then you are getting somewhere fast....

Also have more then 1 way of checking the outputs, use headphones, speakers, and be aware digital outputs can often be trouble (esp. on nvidia 64bit onboard sound systems)...

Good luck. About you're PCI sound card, you can often find the name / model from a PCI Device ID database, but this may be too much trouble when you already have onboard sound.

Oh and check the BIOS settings, make sure the onboard sound is actually enabled!

Thread Information